SAAS Boss Kits Type 3 (404 & 504)
  • Register
  • Help

Default SAAS Boss Kits Type 3 (404 & 504)

The multi adapter type 3 SAAS Boss kit for a sports steering wheel seems to claim multi-adaptability eg

404 + 504
    Renault
    Suzuki Sierra

plus about 20 other types, Porshe 912 included.

Advertisement

Can anyone advise if these have problems with the 404 fitting or is it better to use a dedicated Boss Kit?

A descripton of the full adaptability list is given at (not related to me):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....19260&tc=photo

Quote Originally Posted by friday403
    The multi adapter type 3 SAAS Boss kit for a sports steering wheel seems to claim multi-adaptability eg

404 + 504
    Renault
    Suzuki Sierra

plus about 20 other types, Porshe 912 included.

Can anyone advise if these have problems with the 404 fitting or is it better to use a dedicated Boss Kit?

A descripton of the full adaptability list is given at (not related to me):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....19260&tc=photo
    The splines on the steering column are the same for a 504 and 404. Years ago I bought a Saas wheel and boss off a 504 and then bolted it straight on my 404. You will have to make other arrangements for your horn switch. Early 504 I believe can be made to fit or there is a mod you can do to your indicator stalk to male it act as a horn switch as well.

Jarrod

Default Ok

Jarrod,

Thanks for that. On reading the adaptability list it does say that 'each boss is particular to the car' but it didn't specify compatibility between models.

friday403

VIP Sponsor

Jarrod,

Thanks for that. On reading the adaptability list it does say that 'each boss is particular to the car' but it didn't specify compatibility between models.

friday403
    The offset is different between models, you may find for instance that a 504 wheel is too close when fitted to a 404.
    Graham

Default 403?

Graham,

I've noticed that problem on the 404 ute with a 504 wheel but managed to pick up a wheel and boss kit that is more user friendly.

Do you have any clues on how to fit a sports steering wheel to a 403? The centre on the sports steering wheel (radius) needs to be 35mm to clear the three bolts but most wheels I've seen are 30mm.

Chris Andrews

VIP Sponsor

Graham,

I've noticed that problem on the 404 ute with a 504 wheel but managed to pick up a wheel and boss kit that is more user friendly.

Do you have any clues on how to fit a sports steering wheel to a 403? The centre on the sports steering wheel (radius) needs to be 35mm to clear the three bolts but most wheels I've seen are 30mm.

Chris Andrews
    Sorry, most the conversions I've seen have been fairly rough, involving welding.
    I've never bothered as the 203 wheel fits a 403 and with the 3.25 turn rack it is ideal.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The offset is different between models, you may find for instance that a 504 wheel is too close when fitted to a 404.
    Graham
    I had a semi dished wheel which was ok for both cars. A flat wheel on the same boss would have been two close for both cars. When I bought a boss for my 505 and fitted a flat wheel this was also too close. Hoever SAAS made up a powder coated spacer for me and didn't even charge me.

Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    I had a semi dished wheel which was ok for both cars. A flat wheel on the same boss would have been two close for both cars. When I bought a boss for my 505 and fitted a flat wheel this was also too close. Hoever SAAS made up a powder coated spacer for me and didn't even charge me.

Jarrod
    The boss kit I got off ebay that went on the 604 (which came off a 505) had a spacer made up so a flat wheel could be fitted.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Default Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS

I've never bothered as the 203 wheel fits a 403 and with the 3.25 turn rack it is ideal.
    Graham
    Graham,

Is the three prong mounting point for a 203C the same as the 1960 403?

The reason I ask is that if it is I should know how to do it without welding, as I once bought such a wheel + flat boss from Phil Torode ($10 incl delivery), ... mind you that was 20 years ago!

Chris Andrews
    Last edited by friday403; 16th May 2005 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

VIP Sponsor

Graham,

Is the three prong mounting point for a 203C the same as the 1960 403?

The reason I ask is that if it is I should know how to do it without welding, as I once bought such a wheel + flat boss from Phil Torode ($10 incl delivery), ... mind you that was 20 years ago!

Chris Andrews
    Yes.
    Graham

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods

Jarrod

I have a feeling the 405 is damn close to bieng the same as well as i have head of people putting S1 Mi-16 wheels on 505's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information