Pug 406 has a bad flat spot after engine loses revs
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Pug 406 has a bad flat spot after engine loses revs

I own a 4cycl 406 1997 petrol Pug.

It has for sometime now nearly stalling when the revs are low and you put your foot down. This can happen at the lights or between gear changes. I use to think it had something to do with the hot air temperature but it is not consistently doing this, so I don't think it is. It was checked out by the dealer but they said there was no error codes showing and of coarse we couldn't get it to do it in the service bay. I say nearly stalling because it does not stop all together. Sometimes when I start it, it will idle roughly until it adjusts itself.

Advertisement

It seems to be temperature related.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Have you cleaned or replaced the O2 sensor in the exhaust to rule it out?

Tadpole

No. Where might I find it? And what does it look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by ipb205
    Have you cleaned or replaced the O2 sensor in the exhaust to rule it out?

It'll be after the manifold nearer the engine/box area I recall.
    It'll have a wire attached to it, and be contained by a bolted connection to the exhaust.

It really could be one or 10 or x amount of issues combined. Perhaps the best thing is to dyno tune the car and see what happens.

good luck.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205
    It'll be after the manifold nearer the engine/box area I recall.
    It'll have a wire attached to it, and be contained by a bolted connection to the exhaust.

It really could be one or 10 or x amount of issues combined. Perhaps the best thing is to dyno tune the car and see what happens.

good luck.
    ive had cars in my workshop with the same fault,its normaly the idle stepper motor,very dirty or failed.i clean them first but a lot fail later and need changing.the part is approx 300.00.this part does not log a code in the ecu.but if it goes on long enough it may cause the o2 sensor to overwork and log a o2 fault code.

1000+ Posts

Default Similar with 1998 VW Golf 2 litre.

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    ive had cars in my workshop with the same fault,its normaly the idle stepper motor,very dirty or failed.i clean them first but a lot fail later and need changing.the part is approx 300.00.this part does not log a code in the ecu.but if it goes on long enough it may cause the o2 sensor to overwork and log a o2 fault code.
    Charles - A friend this morning was describing a fault in his wifes 1998 Golf 2 litre, also a low speed drop off of revs to the point of stalling, that has absolutely driven her up the wall since the car was new, it has had numerous trips back to the dealer, but they can't find anything in the computer so can't fix it. Last Bill was $800 with no fix. It sounded so similar, I wonder if the golf has the same malfunction.

Can you shed any light on this, as it is really spoiling her enjoyment of the car.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Last Bill was $800 with no fix.
    you what?!! If they couldnt find a problem, there is no way in hell I would fork out a cent! There is obviously a problem - but if they cant find it, dont reward ineptness by parting with hard earned cash, especially in those amounts...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Default Not me Haakon!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    you what?!! If they couldnt find a problem, there is no way in hell I would fork out a cent! There is obviously a problem - but if they cant find it, dont reward ineptness by parting with hard earned cash, especially in those amounts...

Not me Haakon - This friend didn't either as his wife has jibbed at that bill and won't pay it till her car is fixed, I'm not sure if the same part may be responsible, but of course my friend is hopeful that it may be - They are the sort of people that don't mind paying if a fault is fixed, but after the long saga they have been through the last Bill was one too many, especially since its been going in since new for the same fault - sorry we can't find it madam!!

Ken.

1000+ Posts

Default Any result??

Contarini

How did you go with your problem on the pug 406.

Sorry for hijacking your thread with my requests, it was just that your problem seemed to match so well with that of my mates Golf - I did do a bit of research - could not absolutely say that both cars had the same common part, but I did find on a UK website (Tune Parts) that a Bosch SPI Stepper Motor part # 3 437 010 524 with a 4 pin connector was common on Audi, Citroen, Fiat, Peugeot, Renault, Seat, VW, Volvo. and they were selling the new part at 59.50 pounds sterling. If that helps at all.

My mate is now getting the RACV engineers to look at his car, to see if that equipment is actually fitted and if it is functioning properly on the Golf.

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 23rd May 2005 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Minor dislexic key strokes!

Thread Information