hissing brake pedal
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 hissing brake pedal

hello peoples, my 97 306 pug is making some strange noises, during normal cruising and decelaration there is a rather loud hissing coming from my brake pedal, it goes away under acceleration but then comes back again when i lay of the juice, you guys got any ideas of whats at fault here?

thanks for your help.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

from the brake pedal ?

check to make sure it's not the vacuum line going to the booster as it sits up high in the engine bay behind the dash
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    from the brake pedal ?

check to make sure it's not the vacuum line going to the booster as it sits up high in the engine bay behind the dash
    shall check that but it accually sounds as though its from just above the brake pedal and when i apply pressure to the pedal it goes? my old man thinks its got somthing to do with the vaccum system...

It goes because you're functioning the booster...

How are the brakes, are they working just like normal?

i havent noticed any loss in brake power and thanks heaps for your help
    Last edited by frogger; 10th May 2005 at 04:11 PM.

A good way to check it is to spray, with the engine running, some kind of aerosol that's flammable around the potential leak area...

If the engine perks up when you spray, the revs increase, you will know that's the area in which you'll find the leak.

Default hissing brake pedal

Frogger,
    A quick test that can be done sitting down!
    Start your engine, let idle then switch off. Now pump your brake pedal 3 or 4 times, there should be at least 4 air sounds coming from the brake area. If not you could have a leaky one way valve on the booster.[cheap]. On t'other hand you've got a duff booster.[ ]

1000+ Posts

Another test... With the engine off, pump the pedal until it feels hard (about 4-5) then hold with medium pressure of the foot. Start the car - if the pedal sinks a bit, it's an indication that the booster is OK.

Note that the hissing stopping when accelerating is probably because the vacuum in the intake system is lesser the more that the throttle is opened.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Another test... With the engine off, pump the pedal until it feels hard (about 4-5) then hold with medium pressure of the foot. Start the car - if the pedal sinks a bit, it's an indication that the booster is OK.

Note that the hissing stopping when accelerating is probably because the vacuum in the intake system is lesser the more that the throttle is opened.

Stuey
    Okay ive done both of these above tests and its behaved the way that it should, im yet to try the flamable aerosol trick but ill give it a go soon... Im due for a service (the big one, cam belt time) so ill get paul to check it out. Thanks for your help

frogger

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogger
    Okay ive done both of these above tests and its behaved the way that it should, im yet to try the flamable aerosol trick but ill give it a go soon... Im due for a service (the big one, cam belt time) so ill get paul to check it out. Thanks for your help

frogger

when you do, use a can of start ya bastard (aerostart)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

It sounds like there may be a slight vacuum leak but not enough to affect the power assist.

Another thing I thought was that a grommet might have come out of the bulkhead and the sound might be engine bay noise, but this wouldn't explain it stopping while accelerating. Just an idea, though.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    It sounds like there may be a slight vacuum leak but not enough to affect the power assist.

Another thing I thought was that a grommet might have come out of the bulkhead and the sound might be engine bay noise, but this wouldn't explain it stopping while accelerating. Just an idea, though.

Stu
    All,

I have the same issue at present with my VW Caravelle. It is an internal vaccuum leak into the cabin. Try turning rubber diaphragm where the brake pedal goes through the bulkhead (inside the car). It will go way for while but might occur again. Appears not to affect braking. If you give the brake pedal a light blip, it will go way.

I have yet to fully fix though, and am not sure whether a new diaphragm is separate to the entire vaccum booster unit.....too scared to enquire on the price!!!

Regards,

Scott

Icon5

Frogger,

How did you get on with the Brakepedal hiss?

Scott 505 Gti
    Last edited by Scott 505 gti; 23rd May 2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information