205gti idle drop
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default 205gti idle drop

    i have noticed that when i put on the lights and wipers and heater fan i get a slight drop in revs.
    now by the multimeter ,this is only a 1/2 volt drop when everything is put on at idle.
    my voltage meter is the battery clamp so its hard to read when driving.unless someone crawls under the bonnet as you drive and as we know,that aint a great look.
    i would asume the battery or alternetor is to blame ,but its a brand new 2 week old battery and the alternator reads 14 volts at idle and slightly over when revving so im assuming that they are 0k.
    any ideas or am i just obssessing as usual.
    or is this a sign of things to come.
    ps .it did the same thing with old battery.
    BAZZ 205 GTI

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i have noticed that when i put on the lights and wipers and heater fan i get a slight drop in revs.
    now by the multimeter ,this is only a 1/2 volt drop when everything is put on at idle.
    my voltage meter is the battery clamp so its hard to read when driving.unless someone crawls under the bonnet as you drive and as we know,that aint a great look.
    i would asume the battery or alternetor is to blame ,but its a brand new 2 week old battery and the alternator reads 14 volts at idle and slightly over when revving so im assuming that they are 0k.
    any ideas or am i just obssessing as usual.
    or is this a sign of things to come.
    ps .it did the same thing with old battery.
    BAZZ 205 GTI
    I think it's just extra load from the alternator putting out more. I've seen the kw drop on a dyno just putting the headlights on...
    205gti

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    I think it's just extra load from the alternator putting out more. I've seen the kw drop on a dyno just putting the headlights on...

    yeah this is what i thought but was just fishing for opinions.ta mate-BAZZ

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i have noticed that when i put on the lights and wipers and heater fan i get a slight drop in revs.
    now by the multimeter ,this is only a 1/2 volt drop when everything is put on at idle.
    my voltage meter is the battery clamp so its hard to read when driving.unless someone crawls under the bonnet as you drive and as we know,that aint a great look.
    i would asume the battery or alternetor is to blame ,but its a brand new 2 week old battery and the alternator reads 14 volts at idle and slightly over when revving so im assuming that they are 0k.
    any ideas or am i just obssessing as usual.
    or is this a sign of things to come.
    ps .it did the same thing with old battery.
    BAZZ 205 GTI
    Bazz,

    My 205 does the exact same thing. It idles fine up until I put the lights on, the revs then drop slightly. Ive got a new battery in the car and a freshly recoed alternator as well. Its left me puzzled as to what can cause this.


    Damien

  5. #5
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Dodgy earth continuity??


    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Dodgy earth continuity??


    Alan S

    thats a bloody good point and a good place to start looking,damn these bloody froggy electrics and wiring.
    thanks alan-BAZZ

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MR_205Mi16
    Bazz,

    My 205 does the exact same thing. It idles fine up until I put the lights on, the revs then drop slightly. Ive got a new battery in the car and a freshly recoed alternator as well. Its left me puzzled as to what can cause this.


    Damien

    ah good to see im not just obbsessing then.-BAZZ

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    i went and cleaned the negative terminal on my new battery by scuffing it up with the battery terminal and pole cleaner i have .i also scuffed up the inside of the battery treminal and got about 1/2 volt up from before.
    its still a tad low when idleing with all things on but its not as bad.
    seems like the earth was the trick.im looking into it further .-BAZZ

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! WAUTY205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Devonport, TAS
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Any car is going to drop idle speed when the alternator kicks in. The power has to come from somewhere. Same as Air-con.
    I wouldn't worry.
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WAUTY205
    Any car is going to drop idle speed when the alternator kicks in. The power has to come from somewhere. Same as Air-con.
    I wouldn't worry.
    -Will

    i agree,but it was dropping TOO much and made the idle very bad.
    ive fixed alot of the problem by the above method.
    it now drops but not unacceptably
    -BAZZ

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •