Alpine DDrive speakers
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Alpine DDrive speakers

Hi Guys,

Advertisement

I've had a set of Alpine DDrive co-axials sitting in the shed for about a year. I just fitted them back into my car and one has turned rattly and sounds bloody awful. If I push the cone up & down it doesn't move freely. There obviously grit down around the base of the speaker cone (remembering DDrives don't have the voice could on the base of the cone, rather the magnet).

I've got the speaker out in the shed upside down with a very bass oriented sound track playing on repeat. I'm hoping whatever causing the stiction in the woofer will vibrate out Anyone else had this problem or know of a fix.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hi Guys,

I've had a set of Alpine DDrive co-axials sitting in the shed for about a year. I just fitted them back into my car and one has turned rattly and sounds bloody awful. If I push the cone up & down it doesn't move freely. There obviously grit down around the base of the speaker cone (remembering DDrives don't have the voice could on the base of the cone, rather the magnet).

I've got the speaker out in the shed upside down with a very bass oriented sound track playing on repeat. I'm hoping whatever causing the stiction in the woofer will vibrate out Anyone else had this problem or know of a fix.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane
    I doubt this will work. As the stuff that gets in there is ussually metal shavings attracted by the magnet. After all the years of trying different ways to get stuff out, only one worked, and then it was ussually too late. Why too late? well if the speaker sounds poor, it will continue to sound poor, as you have probably scratched the either the voicecoil or the former or both. That sort of repair is ussually beyond the cost of the actual speaker.
    However one method did work 1 in 5 times. You need to remove the dust cap (unglue it) and gently blow compressed air past the former. This rearely works, and only works on non-vented speakers too. Other wise trying to remove the spider in the DDrive is a real pain. I would never attempt it myself.
    Let us know how you get though. I have had speakers come good, but never really sound the same. This applies to $1200 pair of Dynaudio's that I installed in a S40T.... leason learnt. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Shane
    I doubt this will work. As the stuff that gets in there is ussually metal shavings attracted by the magnet. After all the years of trying different ways to get stuff out, only one worked, and then it was ussually too late. Why too late? well if the speaker sounds poor, it will continue to sound poor, as you have probably scratched the either the voicecoil or the former or both. That sort of repair is ussually beyond the cost of the actual speaker.
    However one method did work 1 in 5 times. You need to remove the dust cap (unglue it) and gently blow compressed air past the former. This rearely works, and only works on non-vented speakers too. Other wise trying to remove the spider in the DDrive is a real pain. I would never attempt it myself.
    Let us know how you get though. I have had speakers come good, but never really sound the same. This applies to $1200 pair of Dynaudio's that I installed in a S40T.... leason learnt. - Chris
    Could work thanks, I'll give it a bash. You see there no electrical damage yet and the bass and high notes are still good (the woofer bounces quite well). Mid range that is just slight vibration and no real woofer movement has gone completely scratchy

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

OK,

speaker must be toast, couldn't get much air through once I peeled the sticker back. I've never blown up a speaker, to to destroy one just because it was stored on a wooden shelf in my shed really p!$$es me off.

That's a very poor design having the tweeter mounting poll through the middle of the woofer, it should be mounted off the side of the speaker frame with a dust cover over the middle of the woofer so nothing can get down there. I guess this happens when people install the speaker and drill/cut near them ..... These bloody holes were already there and the speakers were working perfectly when removed from my last car (ggggrrrrrrr). Guess I'll have to live with 3speakers, you can't use that one, all I can hear is the scatchy mid-range.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Nothing ever goes wrong with Peugeot speakers though,..... juz joshn. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    OK,

speaker must be toast, couldn't get much air through once I peeled the sticker back. I've never blown up a speaker, to to destroy one just because it was stored on a wooden shelf in my shed really p!$$es me off.

That's a very poor design having the tweeter mounting poll through the middle of the woofer, it should be mounted off the side of the speaker frame with a dust cover over the middle of the woofer so nothing can get down there. I guess this happens when people install the speaker and drill/cut near them ..... These bloody holes were already there and the speakers were working perfectly when removed from my last car (ggggrrrrrrr). Guess I'll have to live with 3speakers, you can't use that one, all I can hear is the scatchy mid-range.

seeya,
    Shane L.

Hi Shane

I once worked at Geelong Car Sound and we used to send valuable speakers down to Boyd at Total Recoil http://www.totalrecoil.com.au/ checj out this site and give them a buzz it might be worth fixing. If you are after something to replace the DD Drive check out Total Recoils splits. You wont find a better car speaker anyware. In my apinion even better then Dynaudios.

We didn't sell Alpine butreplaced plenty of DDdrive spits that had given up the Game. They stuggled with power and if you get 2 years out of a pair you've done well
    Cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattg
    Hi Shane

I once worked at Geelong Car Sound and we used to send valuable speakers down to Boyd at Total Recoil http://www.totalrecoil.com.au/ checj out this site and give them a buzz it might be worth fixing. If you are after something to replace the DD Drive check out Total Recoils splits. You wont find a better car speaker anyware. In my apinion even better then Dynaudios.

We didn't sell Alpine butreplaced plenty of DDdrive spits that had given up the Game. They stuggled with power and if you get 2 years out of a pair you've done well
    Cheers

Matt
    Hi Matt
    I often wondered if the Total Recoil guys were still around. They used to do some wonderous things with speakers. I still rememeber their comp cars, like that little white barina with a single 15" that did well over 140dB... - Chris
    ... ptui!

scratchy mid range COULD be from a single wire that has come off the voice coil.which has thousands of windings of very fine copper wire.-BAZZ

Default Poling Speaker

Hi Shane,

In the trade this is called poling - when the voice coil scrapes on the magnet.
    It is caused by sh!t in the annular gap (cylindrical area where the voice coil attached to the cone moves) or a faulty spider (the serrated circular doover that holds the speaker cone in place near the magnet) or a faultly foam surround around the outside of the cone.

You can't do much about the mechanical stuff unless you can buy cone kits for the speaker.

You can however try to clean the garbage out of the annular gap. Be warned this can destroy the speaker but if is this bad then you have little to loose.

Try this:

If the speaker has a separate high frequency unit remove it and get it clear from the main cone.

There will be a dust cap over the spider and annular gap circumcise it with a
    very sharp small pointed blade, don't cut the cone !!!

The annular gap and voice coil are now visible and there will probably be magnetic stuff stuck all around (probably metal filings or drill swarf) - get some masking tape and try to pick them up. Tweezer are good for the big bits

You can replace the dust cap with a smectum of silicon around the outside to hold it.

Read up on how loud speakers work on the net and you will get a idea of what I mean.

Professional loudspeakers are easier to fix they are often servicable - the car ones can be rivitted together and difficult to get apart.

Since the material is probably magnetic no amount of inversion or ghetto blasting will dislodge it.

Good Luck

Regards
    Rob

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have a pair of kicker splits in the front of the 306 that have been like this for a few years now

i just don't listen to the stereo that much in it anymore

i might just end up moving the stereo from the 306 and put it in the 604 complete with the 7x10 kenwoods and put something better in the 306

i just don't like the idea of getting in the 604 to try and fit the kenwoods in the shelf

i have thought of just getting some good box(?) speakers in the back of it but they tend to be hard to find now and just put a small amp in to power the rears and have a goodish pair up front
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information