It's my cat isn't it?
  • Register
  • Help

Default It's my cat isn't it?

I'm hearing an awful vibrating noise from the exhaust system, sounds like it's coming from directly under me, at around 3000 rpm. The car also seems lethargic even at low and mid rpm, but it almost doesn't want to rev at all past 5500 rpm. All just occurred suddenly

I'm suspecting the catalytic convertor has shat itself and blocking flow. This is going to cost me

Advertisement

If it is, am thinking of replacing with commodore type cat as I've heard they flow as well as any other aftermarket 'high flow' type cats. I'm also suspecting the oem peugeot one is going to be ludicrously priced. Any suggestions?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

def sounds like what appened to mine.

while under the car, ask the exhaust shop to check the flange ring (between the 4-2 and 2-1 junction in the headers).
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    def sounds like what appened to mine.

while under the car, ask the exhaust shop to check the flange ring (between the 4-2 and 2-1 junction in the headers).
    yep. same happened to me. i got a cat back exhaust done for $500, including high flow cat, pipe, resonator and muffler.

which is much cheaper than the $1000 odd bucks for an official 405 Mi16 cat
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have had the awful vibration sound in my exhaust for nearly 7 years

check the baffles in the resonator first as that's the problem with mine

damn dealer would never believe me till it was out of warranty
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i have had the awful vibration sound in my exhaust for nearly 7 years

check the baffles in the resonator first as that's the problem with mine

damn dealer would never believe me till it was out of warranty
    I've got an aftermarket resonator in at the moment as the oem one crapped itself a while back. The aftermarket one crapped itself 6 months after I got it too but was replaced under warranty. The sound is similar to when my resonator stuffed up but there wasn't such a dramatic loss in power. There's definitely something blocking flow.

Also the oem resonator is still a straight-thru type; I had a good look inside of it when it was taken out and there were no baffles, just a straight pipe with lots of perforated holes.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    I've got an aftermarket resonator in at the moment as the oem one crapped itself a while back. The aftermarket one crapped itself 6 months after I got it too but was replaced under warranty. The sound is similar to when my resonator stuffed up but there wasn't such a dramatic loss in power. There's definitely something blocking flow.

Also the oem resonator is still a straight-thru type; I had a good look inside of it when it was taken out and there were no baffles, just a straight pipe with lots of perforated holes.

mine rattles like a person with the DT's at around 3k rpm

drives me mad so i just drive around it and avoid 3k revs

i'll get around to fixing it one day

i was thinking about replacing it with straight pipe but the car really does need a resonator to prevent the booming it would get without it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

My cat crapped itself the other day too. I got a new resonator (hotdog) and a new high flow cat. Cat $250 hotdog $80, $330 fully fitted and they did it in half an hour while I waited. I was very happy with the service. This was at Aussie Discount Exhausts, Port Road Hindmarsh. I would recommend them, I was happy even though I have never been anywhere else. My mate had some work done by them a couple of years ago and thought they were good, thats why i went there.
    1984 505 STI

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    I'm hearing an awful vibrating noise from the exhaust system, sounds like it's coming from directly under me, at around 3000 rpm. The car also seems lethargic even at low and mid rpm, but it almost doesn't want to rev at all past 5500 rpm. All just occurred suddenly

I'm suspecting the catalytic convertor has shat itself and blocking flow. This is going to cost me

If it is, am thinking of replacing with commodore type cat as I've heard they flow as well as any other aftermarket 'high flow' type cats. I'm also suspecting the oem peugeot one is going to be ludicrously priced. Any suggestions?

you are correct in the assumption that the oe cat is going to cost you heaps.,try $2150 for oe peugeoet 205 gti cat. OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!!!!
    i got the high flow dunnydoor[commodore] cat .its cost about the $350 mark fitted.
    it added a nice bottom end[80-120 hz]resonance .not a lot but just enough to apreciate.
    i got the cat at autobarn local to my area.i got %20 off as i ordered it on a sale day and they gave me the discount.,whhoo hooo ,gotta love the discount.
    anyways good luck.
    -BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    you are correct in the assumption that the oe cat is going to cost you heaps.,try $2150 for oe peugeoet 205 gti cat. OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!!!!
    i got the high flow dunnydoor[commodore] cat .its cost about the $350 mark fitted.
    it added a nice bottom end[80-120 hz]resonance .not a lot but just enough to apreciate.
    i got the cat at autobarn local to my area.i got %20 off as i ordered it on a sale day and they gave me the discount.,whhoo hooo ,gotta love the discount.
    anyways good luck.
    -BAZZ
    Bazz

You think $2150 is bad enough try about 2,800 bucks for an OEM VW caravelle Cat!!! My 2000 VW Caravelle CAT also shat itself, so I had a 'cheapo' fitted (probably simliar to the one what you mention). Whilst performance was fine, the tinny, clattering sound was absolutely annoying, particuarly on the 5 cylinder motor.

I ended up getting a really good secondhand OEM CAT from the wreckers for $300 bucks....much much better sound and less resonance.

Cheers,

Scott
    505 gti

Gut the cat Gut the cat gut the cat.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Uhmm and what's the price of the cat' that's not hand made out of diamond dust by vestal virgins!??!?

Anyway, went to the local exhaust shop and after banging their hands along the system, isolated the rattle to...THE RESONATOR..again!!! This is the second time the same model stainless steel genie resonator has failed within 6 months of being installed. This time it failed good and proper though, the perforated straight through pipe completely broke all its welds from inside the housing and was rattling free. The performance downgrade came courtesy of a great wad of fibreglass packing that had dislodged from the housing and got caught up in the jagged weld edges on the outlet side of the perforated pipe..thus blocking flow.

I found out this level of detail after rushing to the original exhaust shop I bought the resonator from. Managed to also get the same guy as last time when the first genie resonator failed when he said 'that's the first time I've seen that happen'. This time when he cut it out and saw the insides, he asked 'what on earth have you been doing?'. What do you even say to that...uhmm using the accelerator dude?? He didn't replace it with a genie resonator again, but replaced it with some mild steel generic jobbie. Car goes alright now but definitely sounds louder. It's not very loud but the whole tone of the car has changed and I can't hear that nice induction roar as much so I'm quite unhappy and will bite the bullet and get the oem resonator. Should've done that originally..what a waste of time and money.

- 306 gti6

damned resonators eh

maybe i should have laid bets on that one

well at least you have the noise gone again and you can enjoy once more

how much did it cost as i had a quote for one for around $80 for when and if i ever get around to doing it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    damned resonators eh

maybe i should have laid bets on that one

well at least you have the noise gone again and you can enjoy once more

how much did it cost as i had a quote for one for around $80 for when and if i ever get around to doing it
    I'm not too happy with the mild steel one they've put on to replace the genie because it's a bit too loud..I think the problem is it's much much smaller so I might go in tomorrow and give a longer resonator one last try. The genie I had on was fine noise wise until it broke. They didn't charge me anything as the genie was still under warranty but I paid $120 for the stainless steel genie (don't recommend it!) and I think a generic steel one is around $50. From memory the oem one is around 200-300 I think, but it the resonator and the pipe down to the rear muffler come as a one piece unit.

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Geez, thats alot of trouble from a resonator, I bought a new resonator about 6-7 months ago, i think it was a Redback brand, mild steel, no problems amd the car is very quiet, too quiet I think, how can a resonator cause so many probs, Genie are known for quality goods, interesting dilmena there Jude!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Gut the cat Gut the cat gut the cat.
    Not without some major surgery!! Have you seen an OEM VW Caravelle/transporter CAT?? .....you need a jack happen to penetrate it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott 505 gti
    Not without some major surgery!! Have you seen an OEM VW Caravelle/transporter CAT?? .....you need a jack happen to penetrate it!!!
    .......I mean jack hammer!!!

Prices for peugeot exhausts must've come down. I've just ordered an oem centre muffler/resonator (it comes as one unit with the rear pipe that clamps onto the rear muffler) for $250 through the dealership.

Just for curiosity I also asked and was quoted approx. $500 for the rear muffler. Prices for both items are around HALF what I was quoted just 6 months ago....

Can also get a rear muffler from a euro spare parts shop here: Intervolks, for 'only' $380. The centre resonator through the same mob is $230, which is only 20 bucks cheaper than through the dealership. Not sure how similar to the factory oem part these cheaper Intervolks pug replacement are, but I'll probably order my rear muffler through them soon and will update this post then.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    Geez, thats alot of trouble from a resonator, I bought a new resonator about 6-7 months ago, i think it was a Redback brand, mild steel, no problems amd the car is very quiet, too quiet I think, how can a resonator cause so many probs, Genie are known for quality goods, interesting dilmena there Jude!
    Joel, sorry missed this post earlier. Tell me about it, didn't think I'd have so much trouble either. I've since heard that Genie WERE known for quality goods but since they've been manufacturing their products in China, quality has dropped dramatically. The pipe area around the resonator currently looks like frankenstein was at it due to all the chop and changes but the current shorter resonator I have on at the moment seems to work ok. Maybe I'm just too fussy about the sound etc and I'm sure any longer resonator would have it sounding standard again but right now I just want to get the car back to what it was like I bought it.

Also as far as I'm concerned now, I seriously believe Peugeot had the whole design pretty spot on. The standard system is quiet for everyday but has a great throaty induction sound when nailed and as proven earlier on the dyno, there was virtually no power difference between the oem muffler and a completely unrestrictive straight through one when tested back to back. The only reason I even mucked around with the aftermarket ones in the first place was because I was originally quoted ridiculous prices for oem replacements.

- 306 gti6

Thread Information