505 Niggles
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 Niggles

Default 505 Niggles

Just wanted to share a couple of minor problems I'm having with my S2 GTi to find out anyone else with similar problems or solutions.

Problem 1.
    Under hard acceleration (either 1st or 2nd gear, or any gear with more than 3 people on board) the exhaust is hitting the bodywork. The forward muffler (I hope its a muffler, I very sure its pre-unleaded) is lifting up and banging against the metal strap that attaches either side of the transmission tunnel (stoppind the car splitting in half? ).

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have just had a new clutch installed, and the mechanic assured me the drivetrain mounts were in good order (engine mounts may be a different matter). As far as I can see, the exhaust mounts are also in good order, and I replaced the mount at this exact point when I first tried to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if the rear 2 mufflers are enough to keep noise pollution below Mr. Plod's "pull-him-over" threshold? If so, I think a hot dog or even a straight piece of pipe may fix the problem, but I don't want a cop magnet (yet)

Problem 2.
    Whenever I start the car (no throttle applied), the battery (altenator charge) light remain on until I give the motor a blip over 1500rpm. My STi never did this and mum's GTi wagon is fine as well.

Close inspection of the altenator gives no clues, could it just be an annoying quirk?

Advertisement

Any suggestions welcomed!
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hello,
    Re problem 1, I have never had that on either or '84 505 Executive, or the S2 86 GTI.

In any case, unless I could see something obvious re the lie of the exhaust fittings, I would be heading straight to our very professional exhaust shop, and having him assess the mounts, pipe bends etc.

Re problem 2, this has occured from time to time on our S2 GTI. The start-up RPM (without accelerator) seems to be just to low to trigger the exciter windings on the alternator, and thus start charging the battery. Once the vehicle has been driven and warmed up, then after a start again, there are no further issues.

However, be warned that sticking brushes can cause the same problem, especially if they are getting short on length. The original Motorola alternator can last a long time, but when it fails, it can be due to everything from a failed rectifier circuit which also cooks the coils, to worn slip rings and brushes. Look for tell-tale varnish leakage from inside the alternator windings if the unit fails, or is close to failing.

Most auto-electricians will replace the rectifier / brush assembly, but more in depth work usually takes the unit 'beyond economical repair', and a Bosch equivalent is usually recommended.

Cheers,
    Kim.

WLB

I had the rear muffler require replacement about 5 months ago and it's an expensive, messy piece of gear built in two sections (on mine at least). On 504s I've always dispensed with the rear resonator and it made very little difference. Not so on my 85/86 GTI S2. It must be a muffler, not a (anti)resonator. I replaced it with a Lukey straight-through. Sounds great, but you can hear it coming 1/2km away on a quiet night. Not that it's very loud, just deep.

Unfortunately, it's also louder in the cabin. Close up at idle it doesn't sound so good as the exhaust noise also emerges from under the car towards the front as if there is a hole in the system. But there isn't. I suspect that after-market mufflers aren't what they once were. The large front muffler (only 2 on this car) was replaced at the same time with a French-made Walker for the 505. I suspect that this noise comes from here due to very thin sheet-metal.

Warwick.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Warwick,

I had the front muffler (ex GTI type) replaced on our '84 Executive last year. It was an after market type designed for the 505, possibly a Walker (P/No 3642).

In any case, I was given the option of having the pre-designed bottom drain hole welded over to stop the minor "exhaust leak" type noise. The exhaust shop owner, who is very knowledgeable, stated that it is usually the after market mufflers for European cars which has this feature.

In any case, I elected to leave the drain hole open and listen for developments, and after a couple of months, the gas leak type noise was no longer eveident.

I agree about the complex rear twin muffler type set up on the GTI. At 167,000 km, I have yet to replace these. Very expensive I believe.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    I agree about the complex rear twin muffler type set up on the GTI. At 167,000 km, I have yet to replace these. Very expensive I believe.

Cheers,
    Kim.
    Yes, they are. Its the same setup as the STi, I had it replaced on mine before it was written off. Installing it is a pain too, after we did it there was no way of stopping it from hitting the rear gaurd whilst the car was turning left.

So I guess the consensus is the front muffler is important? I'll keep thinking about that one then.

Thanks guys
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    I was given the option of having the pre-designed bottom drain hole welded over to stop the minor "exhaust leak" type noise.
    That's interesting Kim. I must have another look although it's been on for quite awhile now with no change. I used to do the same thing myself and had no idea it was done by manufacturers.

Long ago when I was time-rich, as they say, I made and fitted my own exhaust systems. I used to drill a 1/8" hole at the low point in the pipe and braze around it to stop it rusting. It used to let the condensate drain out.

Regards,
    Warwick.

Thread Information