The Old Tyre Question
  • Register
  • Help

Default The Old Tyre Question

im running pirelli p6000 powergy's on the 205 and looking at them today ,i realise im in for a new set in about 3-6 mnths.
    now i know tyres are a personal choice but id like to here from people about what tyres they run on their 205 gti and why.
    ill be using the car only for street use ,im running koni adjustables and will soon be lowering a tad.
    price will be a factor as in i dont want to spend $200 a wheel but will go up to about $150 max.
    please state why you like the tyres you run and how well they wear, also what primarily your car is set up for ie-track,street,dirt,rally ect
    i didnt mind the p 6000's,they are really good in the wet when new and i like a good wet weather tyre,but loose grip when worn a bit.
    oh by the way ive got 14' by 6 rims.
    ta-BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    im running pirelli p6000 powergy's on the 205 and looking at them today ,i realise im in for a new set in about 3-6 mnths.
    now i know tyres are a personal choice but id like to here from people about what tyres they run on their 205 gti and why.
    ill be using the car only for street use ,im running koni adjustables and will soon be lowering a tad.
    price will be a factor as in i dont want to spend $200 a wheel but will go up to about $150 max.
    please state why you like the tyres you run and how well they wear, also what primarily your car is set up for ie-track,street,dirt,rally ect
    i didnt mind the p 6000's,they are really good in the wet when new and i like a good wet weather tyre,but loose grip when worn a bit.
    oh by the way ive got 14' by 6 rims.
    ta-BAZZ
    Hi Bazz, looks like everyone is sick of tyre threads but Iím more than happy with my new Yokohama C.drives!! Equal in some areas to my old A539ís, but better in others!! The tyre doesnít look as good as the A539ís but is much better under brakes. The major general driving difference is that the steering is now almost as light as power steering!!! The tyres are also very responsive. About $130 a corner. Canít wait to see how they go on club days. -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Preceda's in that size would be quite cheap, i imagine. I got mine for 170 a corner, but others have seen them for 150'ish. I would expect 14" tyres would be cheaper still. Of course, the availability seems pretty tight for some sizes.

They got second in the latest wheels tyre test, and i'm really chuffed with them on my 205. Lots of feel and easy to catch. Butt loads of dry grip too, and still half decent in the wet (not perfect because of the asymmetric design). Long lasting and very quiet too.

They're a class above c-drives in terms of performance and price, so it's something to weigh up.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Thread Information