vaccuum advance 205 gti ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default vaccuum advance 205 gti ?

with the rising cost of fuel and more long country trips planned,ive decided to look into getting the vaccuum advance on the dizzy working properly.
    its not hooked up at the moment and its runs well without it but im trying to be more frugal with fuel hence the need to get it fixed.
    ive been told by mechanics that its not working but im not sure why.
    has anyone with a 205 gti or similar had this problem rectified?
    if so how much was it to get fixed ?
    or secondly does anyone local[ie melbourne and suburbs]have a fully working distributer with working vaccuum advance they would sell.
    ta-BAZZ

Advertisement

The diagphram breaks. They're impossible to buy new, most 2nd hand units are broken. It's the perfect opportunity to lock the dizzy and fit an aftermarket ECU.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    The diagphram breaks. They're impossible to buy new, most 2nd hand units are broken. It's the perfect opportunity to lock the dizzy and fit an aftermarket ECU.

you mean like a megasquirt or similar?-BAZZ

Standard Megasquirt is fuel only, you need to look at a Haltech e6 series/autronic/motec/mircotech etc - you get what you pay for.

Dave

Mine went last year, prat of a thing really. I've been getting relatively hilarious fuel economy since (my friends mk2 golf gti makes mine look like a commodore v8 wrt fuel efficiency). It was never great to start with.

A proper ECU should show better fuel economy, correct? I bet i could squeeze a decent power gain out while it improves aswell. I've heard the megasquirt (and hence others) also improve the driveability of the engine, which tends to clunk about a bit in slow traffic.

I'm budgeting to do some power-gains next year. I'll try to source a late UK 1.6 head or a s3 1.9 (is there much difference?), get my cam ground, baffle the sump, and hook up a quaife diff (i'm predicting winter next year for a group buy). I'll also need a haltech or similar.

One question i have, are there any mechanics about brisbane with experience in this? I want to ideally, rock up with a pile of parts and hope to hell they know what they're doing!

From the number of hot pugs about here, someone has to know!
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Thread Information