Engine Balance for 206 gti 180
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Engine Balance for 206 gti 180

Does anyone know if the 206 GTI 180 is a balanced motor? I am wondering because if not I know that by balancing the motor you can get some additional horsepower (I know that it already has a lot, but more never hurt) i have the suspension set up and the only other thing to do is get a LSD, but was curious about the motor.

Advertisement

If not does anyone know where I can find that info...thanks

XTC

Welcome to AF ...

The general consensis is that further modification on the 180 engine is a waste of hard earned cash (unless you have HEAPS to burn) ... I'd be concentrating on making it quicker in other ways ... I see the suspension has been taken care of ... and Yes from all reports a Quiafe LSD is fantastic (keep that on your shopping list), then next step is tyres, sticky rubber will let you maintain higher corning G's then usual .. the P7000's are good but there are better.

The cheapest way of making more performance is take things out ... do you need carpet in the car? a stereo system, speakers, rear seats, etc etc .. making it lighter costs usually nothing (until you replace components) ... trade off is you may end up with a car that is not practical, but I would think 50-100kg weight loss maybe possible if you're ruthless ? (just don't carry passengers

Two other places/things to check out ....

http://www.206gti.net

and

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Welcome to AF ...

The general consensis is that further modification on the 180 engine is a waste of hard earned cash (unless you have HEAPS to burn) ... I'd be concentrating on making it quicker in other ways ... I see the suspension has been taken care of ... and Yes from all reports a Quiafe LSD is fantastic (keep that on your shopping list), then next step is tyres, sticky rubber will let you maintain higher corning G's then usual .. the P7000's are good but there are better.

The cheapest way of making more performance is take things out ... do you need carpet in the car? a stereo system, speakers, rear seats, etc etc .. making it lighter costs usually nothing (until you replace components) ... trade off is you may end up with a car that is not practical, but I would think 50-100kg weight loss maybe possible if you're ruthless ? (just don't carry passengers

Two other places/things to check out ....

http://www.206gti.net

and

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Good point...was looking into magnesium wheels...but that is down the track...cheers for that

Quote Originally Posted by spaceghost
    Does anyone know if the 206 GTI 180 is a balanced motor? I am wondering because if not I know that by balancing the motor you can get some additional horsepower (I know that it already has a lot, but more never hurt) i have the suspension set up and the only other thing to do is get a LSD, but was curious about the motor.

every motor that leaves a factory is balanced to some extent. Considering the 180 is a small hatch flagship for Peugeot you can be certain the balancing is done better than average.
    The power you describe comes from ability to rev the engine to higher RPM (F=mass+acceleration).

As XTC said if you want to go faster in stright lines drop some weight.
    You will gain more from learning how to handle your car, better brake pads and some very sticky rubber than from gaining another 5hp from a finely tuned motor.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I had my 1.9l Mi16 bottom end balanced late last year-everything between & including harmonic balancer to flywheel.

Only small corrections were req'd to h. bal, rods & flywheel. The company who did the work were impressed as this was a 16 y.o std production engine.

There may be small gains to be made, but unless to plan to race the car do you really want to dismantle the engine for that gain?

As previously mentioned, money could be better spent on brakes, tyres, lsd & maybe an advanced driving course.

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

i have the suspension set up
    What do you mean by this?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    The power you describe comes from ability to rev the engine to higher RPM (F=mass+acceleration).
    I though F=ma not F=m+a

Hehe isn't power to do with torque and rpm not Force? If you balance an engine you might not neccessarily be able to rev it harder but you might decrease frictional losses. HSV had a $10k blueprint option on the HSV GTS-R taxi yellow thing. They didn't guarantee more power though!
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

Quote Originally Posted by ClioF1
    I though F=ma not F=m+a

Hehe isn't power to do with torque and rpm not Force? If you balance an engine you might not neccessarily be able to rev it harder but you might decrease frictional losses. HSV had a $10k blueprint option on the HSV GTS-R taxi yellow thing. They didn't guarantee more power though!
    yep power = torque x rpm but torque = force x distance. I would have thought any extra power from balancing would come from being able to safely increase the rpm ceiling and not really a significant decrease in frictional losses. If the same rpm ceiling was retained, I would expect the power increase would be barely measurable.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    yep power = torque x rpm but torque = force x distance. I would have thought any extra power from balancing would come from being able to safely increase the rpm ceiling and not really a significant decrease in frictional losses. If the same rpm ceiling was retained, I would expect the power increase would be barely measurable.
    I agree but the only way to increase the rpm ceiling (with an increase in power) once it is balanced is through cams/head tuning and I assumed that wasn't being done.
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

Quote Originally Posted by ClioF1
    I though F=ma not F=m+a
    yeah well, I knew what I meant.
    lol,
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    What do you mean by this?
    I have an Eibach sport suspension done on the car.

do you have a picture, I am interested as to how it looks.

Do you mean you have changed the front springs? Do you want to sell you OEM 180 springs?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information