405 throttle position sensor?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 throttle position sensor?

I recently purchased an '89 405 auto for my daughter and it runs really well except for an occasional glitch when pushing down on the accelerator after braking or when going from reverse to forward when parking. Push the accelerator and get no response - engine does not die just does not fire up.... take foot of accelerator and try again and it works fine.

It is very occasional at the moment but I would like to get on top of it before the car becomes undrivable and lets her down.

Any ideas what this could be? I am guessing the tps based on some posts to other threads on intermittent or jumpy engines.

any ideas of help gratefully recieved.

Advertisement
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

The TPS on these cars is only a microswitch on the idle, which you should hear if you open up the butterfly manually without the engine running. The second is a switch at around 3/4 throttle so that the system knows to negate the Lambda when accellerating hard.

I have at times adjusted the TPS microswitch on 205 GTIs so that it does not work, to make them more driveable in traffic in first gear, with no problems. A possible problem with the Air Flow Meter is a more likely culprit.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

I agree with Alan, that it's unlikely to be the TPS. You can perform the following test with a multimeter though, to confirm it's OK.

idle - pins 1 and 2 should have continuity.
    off idle to 90% - no continuity between any pins
    90-100% - pins 2 and 3 should have continuity

pin 2 is centre.

I'd be getting the injectors cleaned and swapping the AFM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default 405

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    I recently purchased an '89 405 auto for my daughter and it runs really well except for an occasional glitch when pushing down on the accelerator after braking or when going from reverse to forward when parking. Push the accelerator and get no response - engine does not die just does not fire up.... take foot of accelerator and try again and it works fine.

It is very occasional at the moment but I would like to get on top of it before the car becomes undrivable and lets her down.

Any ideas what this could be? I am guessing the tps based on some posts to other threads on intermittent or jumpy engines.

any ideas of help gratefully recieved.

Hi Trevor,

Not much help with you problem.... but i'm looking at a 1990 405 auto for my daughter. Curious to know what you paid ?

regards

Rob

Thread Information