205 1.6 gti q!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 1.6 gti q!

Tadpole

Default 205 1.6 gti q!

hi my 205 has an intermittent starting issue, sometimes it will just turn over and not fire but if i hit the box on the right hand strut(looking into engine bay) then crank the engine with the coil disconnected then reconnect it it starts 1st time, what is the box on the strut and what's it's purpose? is it the box at fault or the wiring running to/from it? i have the engine with the distributor mounted on the inlet manifold

Advertisement

cheers
    chris

Fellow Frogger!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983
    hi my 205 has an intermittent starting issue, sometimes it will just turn over and not fire but if i hit the box on the right hand strut(looking into engine bay) then crank the engine with the coil disconnected then reconnect it it starts 1st time, what is the box on the strut and what's it's purpose? is it the box at fault or the wiring running to/from it? i have the engine with the distributor mounted on the inlet manifold

cheers
    chris
    Very unusual to have a 1.6 gti in Australia, was it imported from the UK ??.

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    Very unusual to have a 1.6 gti in Australia, was it imported from the UK ??.
    Wiltshire is in the UK.

We didn't have 1.6L GTi's in Australia. I've only ever seen one, which is now a 16V. It was identical to a 1.9L however, with the dizzy in the side of the head. I can't recall a box on the strut. Only the one containing relays below the battery, on the side of the rail, towards the radiator.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

nope there's definatley a box thing on right hand strut looks bit like a map sensor does but don't think it is, part of the wiring runs back into the loom and the other part into a yellow connector over the gearbox, which i can't trace the other half as it disappears under the inlet manifold

chris

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983
    nope there's definatley a box thing on right hand strut looks bit like a map sensor does but don't think it is, part of the wiring runs back into the loom and the other part into a yellow connector over the gearbox, which i can't trace the other half as it disappears under the inlet manifold

chris
    I have a 205 SI in the family which has a 1.6 l egine . I think it was sold in the UK as a 1.6 GTI except that in the UK it was fitted with mag wheels and possibly a flashier interior.

Anyway this vehicle has the control box you refer to... just to the rear of the LHS strut (on the RHS as you look in the engine bay). The box contains two relays, one of which is a heavy duty relay. (It is the larger of the two).

Turning the ignition switch energises this relay, and removing the relay will prevent the car from starting or will cause the engine to stop. From what you have said about your problem, it seems to me that this relay has a sticking contact.

You should be able to clean up the contacts by removing the relay and taking it out of its case. However, a pitted contact may be a symptom of a failed diode so it may be best to replace the relay.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    I have a 205 SI in the family which has a 1.6 l egine . I think it was sold in the UK as a 1.6 GTI except that in the UK it was fitted with mag wheels and possibly a flashier interior.

Anyway this vehicle has the control box you refer to... just to the rear of the LHS strut (on the RHS as you look in the engine bay). The box contains two relays, one of which is a heavy duty relay. (It is the larger of the two).

Turning the ignition switch energises this relay, and removing the relay will prevent the car from starting or will cause the engine to stop. From what you have said about your problem, it seems to me that this relay has a sticking contact.

You should be able to clean up the contacts by removing the relay and taking it out of its case. However, a pitted contact may be a symptom of a failed diode so it may be best to replace the relay.

The 1.6 GTI was identical to our Series 1 and 2 1.9 GTIs except for the the detuned 1.9 engine.
    The Si is based on the non GtI cars and has even got different front suspension.
    Graham

Tadpole

the problem has now been resolved it was a faulty ignition module

chris

Thread Information