307 HDI Oil
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 307 HDI Oil

Tadpole

Default 307 HDI Oil

Hello all,
    Just bought a 307 XSR HDI 1,6....great car so far.
    Can anyone tell me which is the best oil to use?
    Approved as per Peugeot Australia or othertwise?
    Look forward to your feedback,
    Richard.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Davis
    Hello all,
    Just bought a 307 XSR HDI 1,6....great car so far.
    Can anyone tell me which is the best oil to use?
    Approved as per Peugeot Australia or othertwise?
    Look forward to your feedback,
    Richard.
    Richard, a friend of mine runs Mobil 1 in his ML270. Personally I think Mobil 1 is on the very expensive side. Any good quality oil will do the trick, you don't need one that is formulated specifically for diesel, as modern diesels are like petrol engines with regard to tolerances.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Nothing to do with oil but how well does the 1.6 go??????????????????????

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by beaver
    Nothing to do with oil but how well does the 1.6 go??????????????????????
    So far I think that the 1,6HDI is quite amazing......lots of torque & enjoyable to drive......a vast improvement on previous Peugeot diesels (405 & 505 which are great country cars but absolute dogs in the city )I have had experience with.
    Both my wife went with a negative atitude re performance to have a test-drive but were gob-smacked when we actually drove the demo.
    Same price as the petrol XSR but terrific performance with hugely improved fuel consumption - we were sold & signed up there & then.
    We have yet do do any long trips at this time but long weekend coming up & off to the country in a fortnight's time - that weekend is much anticipated.

Now - back to the oil question - does anyone know what oil is the Peugeot approved oil?

Ta,
    Richard.

When my 306 XT 2 Litre petrol was under warranty, I supplied the Peugeot dealer with BP Visco 5000 full synthetic. (5L Under $40) Peugeot say that with full synthetic, the oil need only be changed every 20 000Km. I was letting them do their service at 20 000, but changing oil and filter at 10 000 myself.

Who knows whether the oil went in my car or the mechanics', but they did give me the empty bottle back. My car did use around 0.5L per 10 000, but I would not consider that oil usage. I would use a heavier oil in an old engine, but it would be fine in yours.

Oil threads are often long, with everyone having an opinion, but mostly if the oil is changed regularly, and is not too extreme in either direction with viscosity, all will be fine. Of course I am not telling you anything you don't already know.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

my old mans 405 runs penrite oil in it

he was told that mobil 1 was not suitable for diesels

unless the new ones are different just check before hand

i'd be interested to hear what others are using in their diesels as my old would prefer to use a synthetic if he could but has be warned against it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Now - back to the oil question - does anyone know what oil is the Peugeot approved oil?
    Some dealers have Shell, some have Castrol, but they are meant to actually supply Total. They have whatever they can by the cheapest. My dealer has Total but I supply Helix Ultra for Kermit, which they have no problem with.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

It probably runs a 5W40 or something similar, not 100% with diesels, though. Sorry, not sure if it's any different to petrol, but that BP VISCO stuff would be the best full synthetic that's easily available in australia.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    that BP VISCO stuff would be the best full synthetic that's easily available in australia.
    WHY???
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    WHY???
    Because I like the packaging.
    - Lincoln

Seriously...

I like BP Visco because it's readily available from any BP station, so that's a plus. Compared to BP Shell Helix and Mobil 1 full synthetics that are equally as easily available, the test results that I've read about on oil sites seem to indicate that our BP VISCO is superior.

There are superior full synthetics about, such as Motul's Diesters or Neo or Amsoil, but these are not as easy to get your hands on.

Castrol's Formula R full synthetic isn't too bad, but like Mobil 1 is available in too broad a range for my liking. As I recall (and I could be slightly off), is that it's only available in 5W-50 in this market.

Just my opinion based purely on reading what other people's experiences are and their sample results...
    - Lincoln

Default 307 HDI Oil

If Peugeot recommend a 5-40 or 10-40 oil for your diesel you will need to be more choosey with your oils. I wouldn't be bothering with synthetics and as for 20,000k intervals
    If the oil recommended is a 20/50 I would go for Valvoline's XLD. At $16 for 5 litres or better still $26 for 10 litres at Big W. A quality SL rating oil for turbo, petrol and light diesel engines.
    With your preferred shorter service intervals it works out cheaper than the boutique sythetics, leave this for the cabrio set!

I owned a 504 diesel that had done a few k's. The previous owner told me to use Delvac, a diesel grade oil. Not conveniently available.
    The oil consumption was about 1 litre per 1000k. It also tended to oil up the air filter via the engine breather. I changed to Valvoline XLD which straight away reduced the consumption and the air filter oiling!

Ta,
    Richard.
    The "Peugeot Approved" oil will be in the owners manual - but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that

Other than that, as Simon has said, individual dealers source their oil from whomever is cheaper - although some insist on the stuff in the book and charge you accordingly for its lack of availability elsewhere.

As long as you use the same spec as in the book (ie. 5W40 or whatever it says), it's "Peugeot Approved" in my opinion.

And basically that's all you are going to get here - everyone's opinion

Oil questions can be a very sensitive topic.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    If Peugeot recommend a 5-40 or 10-40 oil for your diesel you will need to be more choosey with your oils. I wouldn't be bothering with synthetics and as for 20,000k intervals
    If the oil recommended is a 20/50 I would go for Valvoline's XLD. At $16 for 5 litres or better still $26 for 10 litres at Big W. A quality SL rating oil for turbo, petrol and light diesel engines.
    With your preferred shorter service intervals it works out cheaper than the boutique sythetics, leave this for the cabrio set!

I owned a 504 diesel that had done a few k's. The previous owner told me to use Delvac, a diesel grade oil. Not conveniently available.
    The oil consumption was about 1 litre per 1000k. It also tended to oil up the air filter via the engine breather. I changed to Valvoline XLD which straight away reduced the consumption and the air filter oiling!
    Why do you think synthetics aren't worth it? I can understand this approach with older cars, like the 504. But modern engines with lower tolerances and higher operating temps, I would think the stability that a full synthetic can provide is worth it. If you ran more frequent change intervals and used a semi-synth, then that'd be fine. But on long intervals or with lots of city driving, I'm of the opinion that synthetics offer many benefits. I'm curious as to what your opinion is.
    - Lincoln

Thread Information