Mallala practice day
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default mallala practice day

G'day Folks

Had to report of the day I had out at Mallala in my 172 yesterday - it was bloody fantastic! I could quite easily become accustomed to doing this on a regular basis!

Advertisement

It was a practice day and went out with a couple of mates. Having never taken the RSC onto the track (except for the Jim Murcott driving course at Sandown earlier this month), having owned two RSC's in the last two years I have always thought the car is great, but yesterday really blew my expectations of how it would be on the track completely out of the water!

I must say that it was a completely different experience to driving on the roads and allowed me to learn about the car's upper limits in a controlled environment.

Finished off the day with lap times in the high 1:28's, I did three sessions of 5-6 laps each, I'm pretty sure this is not too bad, has anyone else taken their RSC out there at all? How did you go?

Only complaints that I had were the tyres weren't completely up to it (was using 3000km old original tyres) and the power steering reservoir kept boiling over (well I suppose it was 34 degrees or so out there). I gave the ESP a shot on one lap and found that it was way too intrusive and promptly switched it off for the rest of the day.

That said, the brakes held up bloody well time after time and I was expecting them to fade after a while but never did, it was pulling up from 170k's down the back straight into the hairpin extremely well.

One thing I also found affecting cornering was the extreme nose dive that I was getting which was washing off a lot of speed and also pushing the car far too wide (apparently it looked cool with one rear wheel sky high though).

Getting to the point of this long winded post, has anyone got any thoughts on the spring rates of the RSC on a track and if a stiffer coil could aleviate this nose dive at all (or is it the way I was driving??), and also any recommendations for a track tyre - I can see myself doing this on a regular basis, it would be great to round up some other AF'ers for a day out there!

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Good stuff! I'm not a track driver, but were you carrying the braking too far into the turn, possibly? One of the other track regulars would have some input I'm sure. If you want me to move this to Froggy Chat for more exposure to the general Froggers, I can.

A comment on the power steering - the Mi16 has a power steering cooler - does the RSC? You've just confirmed that it's definitely needed!

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Good stuff! I'm not a track driver, but were you carrying the braking too far into the turn, possibly? Stuey
    yeah i think its just a case of going in a bit too hot into the corner, i've done exactly that... tyres gripped like heck & the car just kept leaning!

I'd be tempted to do some coil overs for that reason with the body roll, adjustable etc so its Okies around town.
    Apparently there are some being developed for the RSC, jump onto the OzRenaultSport forum & contact PaulMc

Quote Originally Posted by birdee_numnum
    Finished off the day with lap times in the high 1:28's, I did three sessions of 5-6 laps each, I'm pretty sure this is not too bad, has anyone else taken their RSC out there at all? How did you go?
    Nice times!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thanks Stuey, you could move the post if I may get some more feedback by all means!!

I'm not sure that the RSC has a power steering cooler, it may also have had something to do with the fact service had filled it above the maximum level.

Nate, I was hoping to do a half-arsed job of coils only (eg Eibach's maybe and avoid $$+ of coilovers) and see how that goes, anyone else got those at all? I had Eibach's on my Familia GTR and they were great!

As far as coming into the corners, yes, I was coming in too hot on some laps and the nose diving was really bad, but even at moderate speeds I found it diving a fair bit...

Obviously I haven't seen how much your car 'nose-dived' but I would guess that to an extent, you would want that in a fwd because the weight transfer that goes with the diving nose is what helps the car turn in so well.

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Obviously I haven't seen how much your car 'nose-dived' but I would guess that to an extent, you would want that in a fwd because the weight transfer that goes with the diving nose is what helps the car turn in so well.
    Not being argumentative, but front weight bias has the opposite effect because of inertia - the front wants to keep going straight, in effect.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Not being argumentative, but front weight bias has the opposite effect because of inertia - the front wants to keep going straight, in effect.
    I completely agree with you there Stuey. I wasn't saying a fwd naturally turns in better. I meant that because fwd's generally have a greater tendency to understeer, you would want the suspension for a fwd setup so that you get maximum weight transfer occur on turn in to reduce the understeer. When the nose dives, the weight does transfer to the front but some of that longitudinal weight transfer gets transformed into a vertical load over the front wheels due to the front suspension compressing, which aids the front wheels' grip.

- 306 gti6

Never driven a 172, but in my old pug Mi16 I did 1:28 also, track was damp but not wet.
    Scared the hell out of the WRX drivers there on the day.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

A 1:28's a pretty impressive time - The best I've done was a 1:30.79 - I had a spin on my last timed lap through turn 1 which I think would have been faster, but you cant win them all!

XsaraVTS has done several track days in his XsaraVTS (funnily enough) and I think he's down in the 1:28's or so. He's running semi-slicks though!

After seeing the goings on at a couple of practice days i'm not really keen to take my car out when it seems to be anything goes...

What we need to do is hire the track for us froggies to get out there without the bommodore crowd spoiling it.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Both mates that I went with had turbo 4wd's (one a evo1 lancer running about 190kw atw and the other an '00 subie). The lancer pulled 1.26's and the rexie 1.32's) smack bang in the middle of them (sort of) was the bog stock 172 I was pretty chuffed!

I wasn't overly keen on being on the track with 15-20 other cars (yep it was busy!) including a racing V8 brute, NSX, lots of of HQ's, car of the day I reckon was a trick 2002 beamer. It was a bit daunting to see that V8 brute sideways right behind you on a corner.

Anyone know how much it would cost to book out Mallala for something like this?

Getting back to an original question - any recommendations on track tyres at all??

Getting back to an original question - any recommendations on track tyres at all??
    No idea but it could be worth investigating - either that or joining a CAMS club and competing in what they call regularity trials - where you nominate a laptime and try and get as close as you can to it over several timed laps. It's harder than it sounds!

Xsara VTS was running Yokie's which I think he was pretty happy with. Didnt get much mileage out of them though as he drove around with them on the street too...

It's good to know about the subie's laptime. When I was out at a training course I ran around at 1:30's and some of the new GT & GT-P falcons were running around in 1:32 - 1:33's. Those guys (some who had spent loads on engine mods) wernt too happy to have a little "girls car" lapping faster than them!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Fellow Frogger!

You don't have to do regularity trials you can do supersprints, very controlled environment, I plan on doing them in my 205, you need to be a member of a of the marque sports club and a club associated with the marque sports club and hold a basic cams licence total cost is about $200 depending on which club you join and about $65 on the day to particpate, you need to have an extinguisher, helmet and a blue traingle and a few other items. More details here: http://www.mscasa.com/
    05' Megane 225 Cup

1000+ Posts

Both mates that I went with had turbo 4wd's (one a evo1 lancer running about 190kw atw and the other an '00 subie). The lancer pulled 1.26's and the rexie 1.32's) smack bang in the middle of them (sort of) was the bog stock 172 I was pretty chuffed!

I wasn't overly keen on being on the track with 15-20 other cars (yep it was busy!) including a racing V8 brute, NSX, lots of of HQ's, car of the day I reckon was a trick 2002 beamer. It was a bit daunting to see that V8 brute sideways right behind you on a corner.

I'm impressed!

BTW AF member Alan Moore has a BMW 2002 with a first generation M3 motor in it (the 2.1 litre four with the quad throttle bodies, I think). The 2002 is my favorite BM for sure.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    ...Those guys (some who had spent loads on engine mods) wernt too happy to have a little "girls car" lapping faster than them!
    that was fun wasn't it. Even the instructors were thoroughly impressed. Moreso by the brakes than anything. Basically i was told my times wont improve much beyond what i have been doing (1:29's) because the gearing is completely out for Mallala...

plus the extra 150+ kg's - the Xsara is the fat bitch of the "girls cars" segment. Up there with her ugly friend the ST170.

Turn 1 is my absolute favourite. Last time out a friend was recording turn 1 on my bro's Digital CamCorder and my car had the best attitude through there. But i noticed i had to try REAL hard to pick up a rear wheel. So i might have to work on that.

Oh yeah whilst im blabbering on. When i rotated my tyres last - i discovered my wheels (rims and tyres) weigh twice that of a clio's - ewwww - now if only i could afford those OZ-Racing Superturismo WRC's

'04 Citroen Xsara VTS

Mallala - 1:29.96

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    plus the extra 150+ kg's - the Xsara is the fat bitch of the "girls cars" segment. Up there with her ugly friend the ST170.
    Fat Bitch - Cute - I want to see a sticker on the back window of your car with that on it. Just dont let Lincoln see you calling his ST170 that though

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    You don't have to do regularity trials you can do supersprints, very controlled environment, I plan on doing them in my 205, you need to be a member of a of the marque sports club and a club associated with the marque sports club and hold a basic cams licence total cost is about $200 depending on which club you join and about $65 on the day to particpate, you need to have an extinguisher, helmet and a blue traingle and a few other items. More details here: http://www.mscasa.com/
    Tempting - Pity on their application form they dont provide a way to not tell the other half your going out and spending $$ on something that's stupid, pointless etc etc....

Supersprints were the other thing I was thinking of but couldnt remember when I put my last post up! From memory there's only about 5 cars or so on the track at a time?

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah about 5 cars, they are sent off in timed intervals from the start/finish line and if you catch the person in front no overtaking under brakes, only on the straights, my unlce has been doing them for years, very controlled and organised.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

The problem with track days is you come home mentally $000's lighter. You all of a sudden want slick tyres, competition brakes (usually decided by lap 2), and of course stiffer suspension (see pic).

Check out the front left pirelli gripping on for dear life - peeling away from the rim

hell of a lot of fun. I have myself and two others (STI and XR6T) keen for another outing at Mallala. Problem is though i think we were lucky the day we went there was only 1 competition car (d*ck) that was very aggressive (and nearly wiped a schmick 911 off the track among others).

There is a big hole in the market for a road car / bike day i reckon.

let us know next time you go cos i'd like to kick along with a 172.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mallala practice day-gti180-turn-1-small.jpg  

Lifting the inside rear wheel as every good fwd should!

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by LeighO
    The problem with track days is you come home mentally $000's lighter. You all of a sudden want slick tyres, competition brakes (usually decided by lap 2), and of course stiffer suspension (see pic).

Check out the front left pirelli gripping on for dear life - peeling away from the rim

hell of a lot of fun. I have myself and two others (STI and XR6T) keen for another outing at Mallala. Problem is though i think we were lucky the day we went there was only 1 competition car (d*ck) that was very aggressive (and nearly wiped a schmick 911 off the track among others).

There is a big hole in the market for a road car / bike day i reckon.

let us know next time you go cos i'd like to kick along with a 172.
    Great Photo that Leigh! I'd have loved to have seen some of my car going through there just before it caught me with the lift off oversteer. Would have been great I think.

One day I'll have to go back out. Maybe supersprints are the answer as those open practice days seem to be full of d*ckheads!

Leigh, nice pic!! That corner really unsettled my car wickedly, first few laps were a bit odd, after getting used to it, I would chuck the car in and it felt like the car was skipping across the track a few feet!

I would be keen to get back out there for another practice day in late May or early June (weather permitting). I would also be keen to do the regularity trials, my brother did them with the MX5 club a while back and seemed like a hoot (and yes, far less cars on the track). If we could get a group together (seems like there is a bit of interest) I'm definitely in!!

I will look to getting a car club membership, anyone's thoughts on other car clubs aside from MSCSA? SCCSA? I will probably do some hill climbs again later this year at Collingrove - I did that with SCCSA in a previous car a few years ago and my membership lapsed, not sure what they are like now. I have also heard Nissan Datsun club is good (no frills and access to most events)...

Good work Birdee numnum (haha nice username too )

Have you got any pics of your car at the track?
    Is that your car in your avatar? Looks hot
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Good work Birdee numnum (haha nice username too )

Have you got any pics of your car at the track?
    Is that your car in your avatar? Looks hot
    I can thank Mr Sellars for that one...

Jeez, your eyesight must be good, all I can make is a silver blob!! Unfortunately, we didn't get any photos on the day, I'm not sure the person we handed the responsibility to had seen or used a camera before!! However, on the weekend I did purchase an internal camera mount (heavy duty suction cup type) and am looking forward to getting it set up for lasting memories...

I can thank Mr Sellars for that one...

Jeez, your eyesight must be good, all I can make is a silver blob!! Unfortunately, we didn't get any photos on the day, I'm not sure the person we handed the responsibility to had seen or used a camera before!! However, on the weekend I did purchase an internal camera mount (heavy duty suction cup type) and am looking forward to getting it set up for lasting memories...
    Were did you get the mount from? I'm thinking of making one that will plug into where the center rear headrest goes. I just havent gotten around to doing it yet. Probably because my shed is that full of crap I cant get in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information