Lubricant for Cables
  • Register
  • Help

Default Lubricant for Cables

Hi all,

Advertisement

There have been a few threads about lubricating handbrake cables and speedo cables (on older pugs) and they refer to a copper based lubricant.

Any one got any brands names to assist further with exactly what they have used. Thought I would get mine all done this weekend.

Peter J.
    PJ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

anything like

coppercoat or nevaseize will do the job

there is a loctite version of nevasieze as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Just be very careful when you use it though.
    Copper grease and aluminium is possibly the biggest, messiest, get daubed all over everything, can't find a way to get it off aww shit I just got some on my slacks, geezes now it's on the upholstery, bloody hell it's on the door handle now, how am I ever going to get it off the dash aww shit now the girlfriend's got it on her dress, bloody hell now it's on her new shoes holy bloody hell it's got onto the carpet now oh strewth it's on the door knob at home and I've left some on the door knob that the telephone repair man grabbed and has got it on the handset and now mum's got it all over her face kinda stuff you'll ever find.
    If this doesn't make any sense, get some on your hands and this little rant will suddenly become a reality.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

So true Alan,

I use C5 on all threads likely to experience adverse operating conditions, such as exhaust bolts/studs, head bolts, water pump bolts/studs etc.

The net result when/if you have to remove or undo these even years later makes it all worthwhile, as they simply will not have corroded into the parent metal. Hence, no broken studs/bolts etc.

As for the mess, clean up, you just have to be careful how much you apply (very little), and have a clean rag nearby before you touch any thing else!!

I have not used C5 (copper colloidal compound) in a speedo drive or cable application, so would be interested in any reports.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

another tip for socket headed cap screws that sometimes seem to fill the recesses up with dirt and crud is to fill them with black silastic

next time you need to undo them you just pull out the silastic and the head recess is all clean

do not use normal silastic as it will rust the head of the bolt

this is a trick i learnt in the mining industry and it made life so much easier and you can imagine how the heads of cap screws would fill up and get gunger packed into them in this type of enviroment
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information