205 GTi Modifications
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 GTi Modifications

Hi All,

I just bought a 205 GTi last night Im very happy cos its in good condition at it was cheap. My previous car was a Nissan 200sx which I sold to make way for a first home purchase.

1st impression from this 88 model GTi are quite impressive, it handles like a go kart and has some impressive accelaration.

Anyway, Im wanting to modfy this car however im having difficulty in finding suppliers and information in AUS. So here i am

Rims: The current car has 14" rims - I want to go 15" as in the later models - Will there be any issues with this? Also, what is the fatest tyre you can put on those 15"'s ?

Brakes: I understand the later version had disks at all corners - Are the rear disks/calipers easy to bolt up - or is their som fabrications involved?

Suspension: Are their any reputaple local suspension shops that can sort me out with shocks, pushes, sway bars, etc?

Intake: Can I get a pod filter kit (K&N?) that will bolt up to the air intake? Where from?

Exhaust: what is the recommended setup? 2" / 2.5" ? Also, are there any bolt on manifolds made/supplied locally?

And lastly....

Fuel: Whats the recommended fuel upgrade path? - Fuel pump/injectors/chip? where can i look?

Advertisement

Thanks very much in advance for any responses.

Terry

Terry,

These are the people you need to talk to on the forum
    1. PeterT - all engine work
    2. Ray - koni Shocks

Cheers Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by z00sx
    Hi All,

I just bought a 205 GTi last night Im very happy cos its in good condition at it was cheap. My previous car was a Nissan 200sx which I sold to make way for a first home purchase.

1st impression from this 88 model GTi are quite impressive, it handles like a go kart and has some impressive accelaration.

Anyway, Im wanting to modfy this car however im having difficulty in finding suppliers and information in AUS. So here i am

Rims: The current car has 14" rims - I want to go 15" as in the later models - Will there be any issues with this? Also, what is the fatest tyre you can put on those 15"'s ?

Brakes: I understand the later version had disks at all corners - Are the rear disks/calipers easy to bolt up - or is their som fabrications involved?

Suspension: Are their any reputaple local suspension shops that can sort me out with shocks, pushes, sway bars, etc?

Intake: Can I get a pod filter kit (K&N?) that will bolt up to the air intake? Where from?

Exhaust: what is the recommended setup? 2" / 2.5" ? Also, are there any bolt on manifolds made/supplied locally?

And lastly....

Fuel: Whats the recommended fuel upgrade path? - Fuel pump/injectors/chip? where can i look?

Terry
    me too tell me.... i want that stuff...
    205GTi Peugeot 1988 Graphite Grey for sale $2500

If you use the search on this forum you'll find that there is enough info to keep you reading for a month. But to start you,

2 1/4" Exhaust Don't worry about extractors.
    Put in replacement K&N in the std airbox
    4 X108 PCD wheels, Just go see Bob Jane etc Pug wheels too heavy 205/50/15 max.
    Koni sports from Ray Bell for best prices.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

tezza
    Dont touch the zhortz bro. Its a good item as is, maybe a commodore cat though.

The 15" speedline rims your talking about will fit no worries.

theres heaps of modification threads in regards to the 205 so do a search, theres plenty of good reading to be had

Tadpole

thanks all for your responses - i will use the search option (im lazy)

thanks again.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon11

thanks all for your responses - i will use the search option (im lazy)

thanks again.
    WHEELS:- call Ian at EUROSERVE in Brisbane, he has a set of 15" wheels from a series 3 GTI with near new PIRELLI tyres, 0738521399.

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    Just go see Bob Jane etc Pug wheels too heavy 205/50/15 max.
    Have you actually weighed the Pug 15" wheels Alan? I would be interested to know the figure if you have.

Rick Dathan

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    WHEELS:- call Ian at EUROSERVE in Brisbane, he has a set of 15" wheels from a series 3 GTI with near new PIRELLI tyres, 0738521399.

Thanks mate, but im in Sydney Besides ill be getting semi slicks so id be wasiting the Pirellis.

T

VIP Sponsor

Hi All,

And lastly....

Terry
    I'm in the process of fitting a fuel only aftermarket ECU, should have it going in a week or so.
    Does anyone have a pin out diagram for the factory ECU?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I'm in the process of fitting a fuel only aftermarket ECU, should have it going in a week or so.
    Does anyone have a pin out diagram for the factory ECU?
    Graham

Sent you a PDF via email hope it helps.

Jarrod

The std 15" wheel and tyre is 19Kg, a 14" wheel and tyre 18Kg. Tyre is around 9Kg. Wheels are available around 6-6.5 Kg. Light weight race wheels (not suitable for hitting kerbs or road use) will come down to 4.5 Kg with a price to match generally.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

I've got a Haltech F3 and 205 harness if you're interested.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    Sent you a PDF via email hope it helps.

Jarrod
    Took the plug cover off and found the numbers!! Still the time wasn't altogether wasted as I now have a better understanding of the wiring system.
    I thought the RWD cars had the numbers all along the wire, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    Graham

Default 15" wheels

Thanks mate, but im in Sydney Besides ill be getting semi slicks so id be wasiting the Pirellis.

T
    I have a set of 4 15" 306 wheels that will fit your 205.
    tyres are crap but wheels are same size as 205 15".

See attached.
    Let me know if you are interseted

David, 9896 8919, Sydney.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTi Modifications-pugwheels.jpg  

Stop the F%cking about and put an Mi16 motor in, do the koni's and have some fun.

neil
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    The std 15" wheel and tyre is 19Kg, a 14" wheel and tyre 18Kg. Tyre is around 9Kg. Wheels are available around 6-6.5 Kg. Light weight race wheels (not suitable for hitting kerbs or road use) will come down to 4.5 Kg with a price to match generally.
    Thanks Alan. As soon as I read your response I went under the house and got out my spare wheel. This weighs 16.2kg with a Continental Sport Contact 185/55/15 tyre with ~5mm tread depth. Assuming your 9kg tyre is accurate (good estimate?) then the wheel (std 205GTI 15") is about 7kg. Maybe I should take my scales next time I pass a tyre retailer.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick; 23rd April 2005 at 12:03 AM.

FWIW,

Mi16 15"x6" rims only weigh 8.6kgs ea.

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6
    FWIW,

Mi16 15"x6" rims only weigh 8.6kgs ea.

Jeff
    Only 8.6Kg ?????

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Now for the facts! I bought new tyres today for the 205 (kindly policeman suggested I do and gave it to me in writing last Saturday). While having the tyres fitted, I took one of the rims next door to an automotive paint place and used their digital scales.

The 15" Pug 205GTI wheels weigh 8.9kg.

Now that is HEAVY. As I have some concerns about the wheels being a tad narrow for the 205/50/15 Toyo RA-1 tyres I use, it is certainly worth me considering new wheels at some point.

As for the tyres (which are a competition type tyre that I get 15-20k km out of, depending on how much racing I do), in Aug 2001 they were $180 each (when Yoki A032Rs were $280 each), in Dec 2002 they were $200 each, this time they were $240 each. Anyone else have a price on these? Am I still getting a good deal? At this price I should consider the Dunlop equivalent, as they make a better size for the Pug - 195/50 or 195/55 I think.

The standard tyre was 185/55/15. Most fit 195/50/15. Anything bigger is useless on a 6" rim. The std. wheels are very heavy. Even steel rims are lighter.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

whether its a good deal is relative to:

what are you using them for?

For sprints softest tyre like RA-1 or Ao32R is it. For medium length events Dunlop DOJR or AO32R may offer a better value for money. For Targas Dunlops would be best choice but heard of AO32Rs lasting well. For cruising the sydney carparks doing burnouts those tyres do not present good value.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Thread Information