Steering wheel shaking
  • Register
  • Help

Default Steering wheel shaking

Hi,

I have had a shake in my steering wheel in my 81' 505 (non power steering)for probably over a year now and havent bothered to do anything to fix it. But now its really starting to get on my nerves and want to get rid of the shake . I've replaced all four tyers with brand new ones, checked the rims to see if they are nice and straight; and they are. I have replaced the sway bar bushes, replaced a dodgy tie rod end, also replaced the bushes in the bars that stop the wheel and strut from moving back and forward (the the things with the three bolts kind of under the radiator, sorry I cant remember the name of these), and had a wheel alignment done.

Could it be a dodgy steering box perhaps ? thats the only other thing I can think of.

Anyone have any advice for me ?

Cheers

Advertisement

PuGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by PuGmAn
    Hi,

I have had a shake in my steering wheel in my 81' 505 (non power steering)for probably over a year now and havent bothered to do anything to fix it. But now its really starting to get on my nerves and want to get rid of the shake . I've replaced all four tyers with brand new ones, checked the rims to see if they are nice and straight; and they are. I have replaced the sway bar bushes, replaced a dodgy tie rod end, also replaced the bushes in the bars that stop the wheel and strut from moving back and forward (the the things with the three bolts kind of under the radiator, sorry I cant remember the name of these), and had a wheel alignment done.

Could it be a dodgy steering box perhaps ? thats the only other thing I can think of.

Anyone have any advice for me ?

Cheers

PuGmAn
    At last someone who knows my dilemma.
    I too have a shaky front end.
    All bushes changed, all (inner and outer) tie rods, all tyres/wheels checked for balance and "roundness".

I have an annoying "clunk" as well when turning around right handers. All attempts to solve this have been to no avail.
    I am beginning to think that the rack/pinion is Knackered too.
    I cannot find any diagrams of the power steering unit nor have any idea as to the serviceability of the components, (can there be a quick fix along the lines of new pinion/spring/cup as in other steering rack units????).

HELP.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

tie-rod ends?
    how tight is the steering, and how much freeplay is there on the steering?
    finally, wheel alignment?

Does the pug have the same problem as the subaru had in 1980's where oncar wheel balancing was a must?
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    tie-rod ends?
    how tight is the steering,
    and how much freeplay is there on the steering?
    finally, wheel alignment?

Does the pug have the same problem as the subaru had in 1980's where oncar wheel balancing was a must?
    New.
    Tight.
    None that can be detected, (power steering).
    Done and Done again.

For the 505s you should not have to do on car balances???
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Default Steering wheel shaking.

PuGmAn and Gamma.
    Have you at some time had front shock absorber replacement? I have heard of some non original shock absorber inserts not seating in the struts. With the upper ring or gland nut fully tightened the inserts remain loose. This will cause steering wobbles and over time, "scalloping" of the tyres.

You both appear to have checked/replaced all other possibilities. The only other thing to do is have "on car" ballancing done. [Previously posted today].
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 18th April 2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    PuGmAn and Gamma.
    Have you at some time had front shock absorber replacement? I have of some non original shock absorber inserts not seating in the struts. With the upper ring or gland nut fully tightened the inserts remain loose. This will cause steering wobbles and over time, "scalloping" of the tyres.

You both appear to have checked/replaced all other possibilities. The only other thing to do is have "on car" ballancing done. [Previously posted today].

Well, I did replace the whole drivers side strut (got it from wrecking yard, in good condition) because my old one collapsed , they seem quite even in pressure now. But I have never replaced the actual shocks or inserts.

PuGmAn
    Last edited by PuGmAn; 18th April 2005 at 02:08 PM.

PuGmAn and Gamma.
    Have you at some time had front shock absorber replacement? I have of some non original shock absorber inserts not seating in the struts. With the upper ring or gland nut fully tightened the inserts remain loose. This will cause steering wobbles and over time, "scalloping" of the tyres.

Yes I have had them replaced with inserts by a competent mechanic whom I trust.
    This was the next stage to pull them down and check them.
    This is only for the "clunk" not the wobble which predates the insert insertion.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

my commdore gets a clunk you describe. its a known fault on VX range... swaybar link bushes get worn and on slow turns generate low frequency clunk (warranty replacement ).
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts

A real long shot, but it looks like you're down to long shots! I had a similar problem with my Renault and it was the difference in weight between the locking wheel nuts and the normal ones. I know it'd be more obvious with only three, but...have you guys got locking nuts?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

.................. I have similar but not so similar problems.........

I like the idea of on car balancing, haven't had that done for a while.........

Something that I had not thought of.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

PuGmAn and Gamma.
    Have you at some time had front shock absorber replacement? I have heard of some non original shock absorber inserts not seating in the struts. With the upper ring or gland nut fully tightened the inserts remain loose. This will cause steering wobbles and over time, "scalloping" of the tyres.

I've also seen this on motorcycles.

pipsqeek
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Thread Information