ABS and changing brake fluid
  • Register
  • Help

Default ABS and changing brake fluid

Hey all, methinks my 406 would have been lucky to have had its brake fluid changed in its 6 year life, and I would like to do it. But, are there any tricks or traps I should know about re. the ABS unit? I hear if you get air locks in them it means a trip to the dealer for special attention.

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Default air locks?

Haakon,
    a frient recently had a problem when replacing all the flexible brake lines ( 6) on a S2 405 Mi16 with ABS.

The mechanic had lots of trouble getting rid of air in the system after using various methods. Turns out that there are some particularly bad loops in the 405 rear brake lines which are hard to get air out of if you have completely drained the system. Solution in the end was to jack or lift the rear of the car as high as possible then bleed them......

If you are not completely draining the system, jut flushing it, then there should be no problems with ABS. Some early 405s had an active ABS brake system which was all powered from the master cylinder which caused some issues but later ones have solenoids which release pressure in the individual lines to the wheels and which, when not actually operating, are no different to normal brakes.

If the fluid has not been changed in 6 years you are likely to have other issues though as the fluid will have absorbed water and there may be rust hidden away. Sounds like incompetent servicing to me..... the brake fluid should be flushed with new fluid at least every 2 years....

good luck
    Last edited by trevh; 19th April 2005 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling and typos
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    Sounds like incompetent servicing to me..... the brake fluid should be flushed with new fluid at least every 2 years....

good luck
    yeah I know. It may well have been changed, but I dont know for sure, so will assume it hasnt been. Cant hurt thats for sure. I want this car to last me along time, so will doing much maintenance on it!!

Should change the coolant while I'm at it....

B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

cheers brad . I know some nice dirt roads to give the ABS a few cycles, although bleeding twice is a pain. But cheaper than getting a pug dealer to do it!!

And more fun, it seems...

Just watch for high points in the lines, if there's somewhere that's trapping air, then maybe undoing a line to bleed that point might help.

ee gad, these new fangled cars are getting trickier to work on all the time. Well, its worth a go and if it doesnt work a trip to the dealer it is. But the more complex the braking system, the more I want to be sure it has clean fluid in it!!

But I still like having ABS - worked very nicely when some idiot played chicken with me at an orange light - i chickened first. VERY impressed with the way the 406 pulled up

Fellow Frogger!

Haakon,
    When bleeding ABS systems BEFORE you start bleeding disconnect the battery. The ABS does not like to have air in it if you accidently turn on the ignition before you have completed the bleeding process. Also the factory manual emphasises the correct wheel secquence of bleeding the brake lines.
    Steve V6..

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    ee gad, these new fangled cars are getting trickier to work on all the time. Well, its worth a go and if it doesnt work a trip to the dealer it is. But the more complex the braking system, the more I want to be sure it has clean fluid in it!!

But I still like having ABS - worked very nicely when some idiot played chicken with me at an orange light - i chickened first. VERY impressed with the way the 406 pulled up
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Icon5 406V6 ABS etc....

G'Day Oz Frog lovers from a new UK member, old owner.
    I've had my 1997 V6 five years with hardly a problem and still love to drive it.
    I changed all the fluids a couple of years ago without a problem but did follow Haynes reccomendations to disconnect battery - I have a list of "things" to check when disconnecting/reconnecting battery. I did NOT use Peugeot fluid in the replacement rad and don't have a problem with leaking waterpump though reading your various entries tells me my cam belt should be done soon on the six year rule. Still, its only done 52k miles and is better cared for than me.
    The main problem I had was intermittent climate control which I fixed myself. Had to buy the Peugeot Engine manual and the Heating/Ventilating manual as Haynes doesn't cover. Turned out to be a half done cable connector under the left front trim due to a bad garage mechanic trying to fix the OAT sensor in its first year. As a result I have a detailed write-up of the climate control system if anyone is interested.
    I have two areas I would appreciate advice on if you can help:
    1. Due to five heavily laden trips to stock up with cheap french booze the rear coil springs appear to be rather weak - the car bottoms on small bumps when loaded with four reasonably sizes bodies now. Is there a spec for these and/or are there any heavy duty springs around?
    2. The air distribution system doesn't seem to feed much hot or cold to the footwells when the auto selection is so directed. At the same time it still feeds full supply to the dash level vents. Is this normal? If not, how are the air deflectors accessed? It looks to be a mamoth task for a small reward?? Getting access to these deflectors is not covered in the Peugeot HV manual!

Tadpole

ahh well i was working with a mechanic and he got a clean rag dipped it into the brake reservoir and soaked out just eneogh brake fliud making sure to leave eneough in it to cover the holes
    refilled the reservoir
    added new brake fluid

then bled the brakes then topped up thr reservoir

then ticked on the service chart brake fluid replaced

Thread Information