Block Drain?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Block Drain?

Default Block Drain?

Guys, the best way to drain all coollant from block of a 504 is?....................

Advertisement

thanks ed ge

Default Block drain.

Ed,
    To drain all coolant from a 504.
    1. Turn on your heater.
    2. Locate drain plug at rear right hand side of block. Undo. Take care, HOT.
    3. Loosen radiator drain cock.

To flush system, remove heater hose from water pump. Push your garden hose into the heater hose. Turn on tap to flush system incl. radiator.
    When water runs clear let it run dry, refit heater hose to pump after cleaning pump spout and applying non hardening gasket sealer. NOT silastic etc!
    Refit block drain plug with its washer, I wrap the the thread with PTFE tape.
    Tighten radiator drain.
    Refill system slowly then start engine. Observe the level in the radiator as it will drop when thermostat opens. Top up system with quality coolant. Rain water or distilled water by itself is no good.

If you haven't done so, consider fitting a recovery system to your radiator.
    Theoretically it prevents air getting into the cooling system and also you shouldn't need to top up the system as often. x2.

Drain plug similar to sump plug? or?................t'is difficult to see all in this area,................easier from underneath?

Thanks Beestie/Thanks Wildee/Thankyou Sir............

ed ge
    Last edited by edgedweller; 15th April 2005 at 07:30 PM.

Default Block drain

Edg,
    You are going to need to get down and dirty for this one. Beware the hot manifold.
    If I recall the plug has a 17 or 19mm head. Because of its location it will mean lots of spanner shuffling. Very little to no room for a ratchet. Although knowing the magnificent tool kit you have you may even have a set of those "shorty" ratchet ring spanners. They look the goods.

Not as expansive as to run to those individual ratchet thingies but plenty good for most everything, and I'm already dirty from todays filter change, just couldn't be bothered dragging over the trolley jack that late in the innings. Tomorrow however is another car workin', beer drinking, footy watching, saturday and this is still australia and I'm no nancy boy and ya just gotta get up close and personal with something really greasy c'os mate ................... it's the weekend.

cheers ed ge

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    If you haven't done so, consider fitting a recovery system to your radiator.
    Theoretically it prevents air getting into the cooling system and also you shouldn't need to top up the system as often. x2.

just make sure the cap pressure is correct on the recovery tank as i have seen this fitted to 504's before to only put extra pressure in the system and blow the liner seals within 6 months
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Pugrambo,

there is already a black tube to plastic resevoir set up, but it only has a plastic snapon cap, can't see it providing much pressure, will leave it and see what happens, not much I suspect.

Cannot/willnot tamper with best efforts of the Irontite God. All praise Irontite.

ed ge

Thread Information