battery died in about two hours.
  • Register
  • Help

Default battery died in about two hours.

i was going to the chiro today as i put my back out last night vacuuming the floor last night while cleaning up for a lady visitor.
    so i jump in the car this arvo [after using it preiviously that day]and had no dash lights or anything come up when turning the key.
    i popped the bonnet and the voltage meter was reading a very faint low which means the battery is dead.
    i cleaned all terminals and made sure of no loose conections.
    the multimeter just blipped when i put it acreoss the terminals.
    i spoke to a freind auto electrician who said that its not uncommon for a battery to just die.
    especially the cheaper type.
    mine is a racv heavy duty replacement battery that was in the car when i got it 2 years ago nearly.
    now ive heard from a few sources that these racv and some other brands are actually made in vietnam.
    they reason being is that vietnam is the only country left in the world that will recycle the lead plates contained in the batteries.
    now when they recyle the plates they cant get all the chemicals out of the recycled lead and what you end up with is a compisition of about %70 odd of lead and the rest made up various treating chemicals used in the process.
    the result-a battery that will suddenly stop working as in mine and will not last as long as a good one.
    now i dint know what to beleive of this story but have been told similar by a few different people now so im starting to beleive it.
    so the upshot is im waiting for the battery man to came and test the battery and curcuits and relays ect for me.and also $130 that i cant really spare at the moment gone on a new battery.
    will post result-BAZZ

Advertisement

al

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. One minute it was fine, the next dead as...

Irritating isn't it...

wonders whether it was really the vacuuming

the first three batteries that I had die in my S16 went like this... Got in the car started it (no problem), drove to the work gate (about 50M). Stopped the car as the gate key is on the same keyring as the ingition keys. Open the gate get in the car. go to start, Completely dead.

Basically the plates shorted together. The standard battery in an S16 is shorter than the battery box. They cram the same capacity (as a full size battery) into a smaller space, and the result is that after not too long the plates touch and wamo, dead battery.

The second last battery that I got I got was longer (ie it fills the battery box), and it ended up lasting about 2.5 years, which is longer than all the previous ones, and it died a natural death where its performance just deteriorated, and I wasn't caught out. Not sure if you have one of these short (no pun intended) batteries, but if you do and you have room I'd recommend getting a normal length one

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by al_
    Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. One minute it was fine, the next dead as...

Irritating isn't it...
    yep and to make it worst,the 205 has to use a din battery which are smaller,have recesses for the terminals and are more expensive,
    apprently its common for a din battery to just give out like that,no warning just kaput.dont ya just love it.-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    yep and to make it worst,the 205 has to use a din battery which are smaller,have recesses for the terminals and are more expensive,
    apprently its common for a din battery to just give out like that,no warning just kaput.dont ya just love it.-BAZZ
    My ex GF's 205 SI had a huge battery in it. Same size as what I now have in my S16 (that's how I sussed out I could put a bigger one in it). Totaly bog standard like you would expect to find in a commodore or falcon.... don't know if the previous owner had to change something to get it in, but it certainly lasted well, and had no probs turning it over

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

i think youll find the main problem with the larger type batteries in the european cars is that sometimes they wont sit without touching the bonnett.
    my mate found this out on his lancia beta ,when he put a big battery in and dropped the bonnet to close it ,only to find a two big upward dints from the battery terminals. DOH!!
    this is why on din style batteries they recess the terminals.
    you can also get a majpr short if the terminals touch the bonnet.
    but if you can get one in clear of evrything,go for it.it shouldnt make any difference.-BAZZ

Thread Information