Braided brake hoses
  • Register
  • Help

Default Braided brake hoses

Is there anywhere to get a braided brake line kit for a 205 GTI in sydney at a reasonable price. I have emailed a couple of parts places in the UK but they have yet to get back to me.

Advertisement

I need to fit new brake lines soon but the prices for normal brake lines that i have been quoted are shocking. I can get a complete kit from the UK for less than just the front hoses here.

Has anyone done this conversion to their 205?

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Try these guys in Queensland. They sell the goodridge brake lines (same as the uk guys) I have them fitted to the 205, upgrade everything pads and discs with very good items or it will not make any difference.

http://www.johnstamnas.com/

Cheers Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Revant01
    Is there anywhere to get a braided brake line kit for a 205 GTI in sydney at a reasonable price. I have emailed a couple of parts places in the UK but they have yet to get back to me.

I need to fit new brake lines soon but the prices for normal brake lines that i have been quoted are shocking. I can get a complete kit from the UK for less than just the front hoses here.

Has anyone done this conversion to their 205?

Alex.
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Cools.

I have some new discs and pads at the top of my list of things to do next (ebc semi drilled discs with greenstuffs), braided hoses might be a good idea to get some more feel.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Fellow Frogger!

Burt Bros at Fairfield can make up braided lines depending on the end fittings being available. Also some parts outlets have a small crimping machine to do brake lines. PEPS liverpool had one to my knowledge. The lines need to be crimped for compliance. Are the hose end anything special ?

Tim

What actual proces are you looking at.

a frient recently replaced all 6 fexible brake lines on a S2 405 ( with ABS there are 2 on each side at the rear) they cost about $25.00 each at EAI

I also looked into braided lines last year and was quoted $90 each, made up to suit by a Goodridge agent. he wanted the originals to match so it would involve a day or two off the road.

What benefits are you expecting? Improved brake feel - a firmer pedal under high braking efforts - is the main thing as I understand it. fancy disks and pad compounds should mean that extra high brake efforts are not required I would have thought.

cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Nick indicates that braided lines don't make any difference. I have always suspected the same. Normal hoses ARE reinforced (internally where you can't see it). I suspect the braided lines may reduce brake system sponginess on proper race cars where special (very stiff) racing brake calipers and pedal assemblies are used. I am guessing that the cheap little sliding calipers that we use may give more 'sponge' than the hoses. If anyone has actually done any scientific testing - measuring pedal forces and displacements - I would be very interested.

I did fit braided hoses onto another car of mine and didn't actually notice the difference. That car even had solid cast iron "2 opposed piston" calipers. Maybe if I swapped the hoses back and forth a couple of times, I could have picked a difference. It was a while ago and it is quite likely the car was off the road for a while, so I couldn't make a clear comparison.

Rick Dathan
    Churchill (down the road from Boolarra), Vic

Don't forget that unless the hoses are tagged they won't be DOT approved.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

most braided brake lines have reinforced rubber hoses inside, just the same as the normal rubber hoses.

the only purpose the external braiding serves is to protect the rubber from damage, ie: rocks and sticks and chaffing.

and in case of the inner liner bursting, it helps to hold the hose intact (to a point) so you still have some braking power to pull over. i had a front hose burst on my 505 and the braiding helped to stop the hose from ballooning and i was able to stop in time, the brakes did go soft, but they didnt go completly flat.

to cut a long story short, its just another way of protecting the hose from the 'elements'.

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    most braided brake lines have reinforced rubber hoses inside, just the same as the normal rubber hoses.
    The hoses I referred to have a teflon lining with stainless braiding around that. Encasing the whole lot was some clear (probably PVC?) plastic tube. This is the type sold by John Stamnas (Nick's link above), Racebrakes in Melbourne, etc and referred to in one of the Carrol Smith books. There are no other layers or other reinforcement. Mine had the compliance tag under clear heatshrink.

I see that there is also the type referred to by 123abc. I don't know if these are sold for their aesthetics, but I would advise against them for durability. The exposed stainless mesh will trap dirt. This has a grinding effect on the hose - would probably take a long time to cause a failure I admit. The mesh is also highly abrasive on other things if allow to rub.

You may have seen stainless braided brake hose on open wheelers (eg at a hillclimb) without a protective outer casing. They don't have to worry about durability as there is little exposure to dirt, they do very few kms and the hoses are easily - and often - inspected.

The last time I had 'normal' brake hoses made up at a brake place they gave me the option of standard hoses or ones with extra reinforcement to reduce sponginess. I chose the latter. They were very cheap. They claimed they were popular on motorcycles - where brake lever travel differences are very noticable.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick; 17th April 2005 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks for all the replys guys!

The main thing i wanted to get out of braided brake lines it to improve the feel of the brakes. Thee feel of the brakes is completly different in my 205 compared to my old magna. The magna had a much more responsive brakes, But this probably comes down to them being properly serviced. The brakes on my 205 are going to recieve some much needed attention as soon as i decide which hoses to go with. I am not sure how well the previous owner looked after them??? My existing brake lines are in need of replacement and i was quoted close to $50 each from two different peugeot parts shops, so if purchased a kit from OS then it wouldnt be too much more to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Don't forget that unless the hoses are tagged they won't be DOT approved.
    I was looking at both goodridge and black diamond kits f/S in the UK, Will these be DOT approved? I hope so as the prices for these kits are only slightly more expensive than buying two of the normal ones here. Otherwise i think i will just import some of the original ones.

On a bit of a side note my cousin smashed his s13 silvia a week after he bought it because the brake hoses failed. I dont mind spending a bit more money on brakes if they improve the safety margin on such an important system.
    Last edited by Revant01; 17th April 2005 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_K
    Burt Bros at Fairfield can make up braided lines depending on the end fittings being available. Also some parts outlets have a small crimping machine to do brake lines. PEPS liverpool had one to my knowledge. The lines need to be crimped for compliance. Are the hose end anything special ?

Tim

Ditto about the Burt Bros. Dot approved. Speedy service.
    They will make any brake lines once you give them original for a template.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    Ditto about the Burt Bros. Dot approved. Speedy service.
    They will make any brake lines once you give them original for a template.

What can i expect to pay?

aww, jeez, going back a bit... I think i managed to get them for about 80/corner.... please dont quote me though.
    Give them a call.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Thread Information