Wiper motor speed adjustment
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wiper motor speed adjustment

in the R10, my wipers struggle to keep up with hard rain, and make visibilty dangerously less.....

Advertisement

is there anyway way i can quicken up the "one-speed" wiper motor? or can i get another wiper motor, with a "3-speed" control system in it?

i tried to search for a thread to my answer on here, but was to no avail, so help would be appreciated

Not much can be done to the original but you can fit a two speed wiper motor off an R12 with a bit of fiddling.

Bob from Renauli's in Sydney used to do it but he is no longer there (you could ring them and ask if they are still able to do it - but I doubt it). It involves a modification to the arm which runs off the motor, drilling some new holes in the backing plate the motor mounts to, and some wiring mods.

I have done it to my R10, and a former R8 I had, but my standard R8 still uses the original.
    Kevin.

edit: if out sourcing a wiper motor off an R12 at the wreckers, get the rocker switch and plugs. By then I may have remembered more of the how to.

thanx man

is the 2 speed wiper from the 12, faster than the r10?

cos right now, the r10 speed is like medium on a modern car...and all i want is the real fast one to go with it.

i'll try search around for one man, thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by ADZ-R10
    thanx man

is the 2 speed wiper from the 12, faster than the r10?

Only when they're moving

cos right now, the r10 speed is like medium on a modern car...and all i want is the real fast one to go with it.

The R12 slow speed is about the same probably a little faster than the R8 std speed, but the second speed is significantly faster and makes this a much worthwhile conversion.

i'll try search around for one man, thanx again
    I also found some photos of some of the mods needed which reminded me of some of the detail. As well as redrilling some holes in the existing mounting plate, you make up a backing plate to suit the new motor. The arm is modified to take the nut off the R10 unit (braze the nut onto the arm).

Then you mount the R12 rocker switch into the dash and use the plug that came with it. Run an additional wire for the "fast speed" up to the motor and wire up the remainder of the wires (I put a narva 6 pin plug at the wiper motor). We had to fiddle around to get the park working properly (and parking in the right spot, but we got it in the end from memory).

If you PM me your email address, I can send you what photos I have plus a description of the wiring changes (after the weekend when I can get the car out into the daylight).
    KB

Thread Information