Tensioning specs for gti6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Tensioning specs for gti6

Heya all...
    Does anyone have access to or know what the torque specifications for the head bolts on the gti6 engine??

Cheers,
    Kyle.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    Heya all...
    Does anyone have access to or know what the torque specifications for the head bolts on the gti6 engine??

Cheers,
    Kyle.

same as the Mi-16 or S16 306

15 ft lb all round and then 120 degree on each and then back again for another 120deg on each head bolt

this is for cast iron block 306's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

So the gti6 block is cast iron i presume? it's not my car, I have an s16...

Appreciate the ultra speedy reply too

So the gti6 block is cast iron i presume? it's not my car, I have an s16...

Appreciate the ultra speedy reply too

the GTi-6 has the cast iron block as does the S16 and S2 Mi-16
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

This is what I was able to dig up:

26lb/ft first stage
    Slacken off then torque to 52lb/ft
    then 160 degrees

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks also petert.
    My mate just got hit head back from having a port n polish... so we are pretty keen to see how it goes on the street....

Thanks also petert.
    My mate just got hit head back from having a port n polish... so we are pretty keen to see how it goes on the street....

hope he has new head bolts as you can't re-use them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Sure did. He bought new bolts, valves and vrs kit from trivett...

Sounds interesting
    Please keep us informed about the results
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

I shall do

Just gotta wait for him to put the bloody thing back together!!

Just curious how much did all the parts and porting cost?
    The head needs to come off my GTi6 this week to get a new head-gasket and im wondering if i should do something similar to it while its all apart.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

i'd be interested to know what the valves and VRS cost and then i'll tell you how much i paid for valves and a VRS for a GTi-6

just be interesting to see the difference
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Just curious how much did all the parts and porting cost?
    The head needs to come off my GTi6 this week to get a new head-gasket and im wondering if i should do something similar to it while its all apart.
    No point from what I've heard. Some info on the UK www.306gti6.com forum, a few guys there have tried it..results ranged from power loss down low and nothing gained up high, to the good head shops returning the head after flowing it and telling them there's no point. Just a polish can't do any harm though.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

U turn, The machine shop that did the head had said that the head flowed a lot better after the porting. Time will tell though when its running and gets to a dyno.

From memory he has spent $500 in parts.

Head polish eh?
    Ill see if my mechanic can do that while the engines out.

Actually speaking of headgaskets are there any peugeot sport or better headgaskets (thinner, metal ect) that i can put in or should i just stick with the standard GTi6 one?

I know alot of the honda boys use thinner headgaskets to slightly raise compression is there anything available for our motors? Or am i just going to increase the risk of detonating the engine and taking an uneccesary risk with little gain to be had?
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

kyle, I don't know how different the S16 head is to the gti6. I didn't think it was all that different but..

Anyway I was referring to the gti6 head, and the UK boys try a hell of a lot of things to try and increase power and their posts seem to be quite conclusive that porting was a waste of time on the gti6 head.

Another thing that points to peugeot heads being known to flow well is articles written on this website http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm David Baker is very well regarded as a engine guru.

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    I know alot of the honda boys use thinner headgaskets to slightly raise compression is there anything available for our motors? Or am i just going to increase the risk of detonating the engine and taking an uneccesary risk with little gain to be had?
    I don't know how closely tuned the standard ecu is, but if it's close yeah then I think you would definitely increase the risk of detonation. You can't just rely on your ears as well to pick it up. If you were to go to the trouble of a thinner head gasket (and the associated risks of that besides detonation), then you should definitely get a programmble chip or something that can be tuned on the dyno to make sure fuel and timing are good too and there's no detonation.

- 306 gti6

when i had the head off the GTi-6 i was going to do all sorts of things to it but when i looked around and asked many many people they all came back with the same answer

unless you are going to go all out and want in the realms of extreme power from it there is nothing worth doing to it

i emailed pumaracing as he has bigger valves for them and he said it was a waste of time unless i was going to aftermarket ECU and wild cams and he said that will give the car heaps of top end but there will be zip down low and he was talking big HP from the engine

all in all it just wasn't worth the hassle

i did think long and hard about the bigger valves though but as he said without major cam work it wasn't worth it

i also enquired about polishing and the same reply was had which was it will at least look pretty and you 'may' gain 5hp

GTi-6 already has around 10.65:1 CR and i was warned never to let the engine overheat as shaving the head is not recomended unless you have a thicker head gasket otherwise valves are going to mesh with pistons and this was also another thing that i had to take into account if i wanted wilder wobbly sticks was that and extra lift was going to entail doing something to the pistons

all in all i was told to be happy with 170hp and buy a LSD if i wanted to have more driving pleasure

i will watch this thread with interest though as people doing things to these motors really interests me as to what can be done and what the outcome is

but the RS head is a very well designed head and flows very well just like the 1.9 Mi-16 head before it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

The S16, or 2L Mi16 head, (XU10J4) are almost identical to the 1.9L Mi16 head. They run the same valve gear, chamber shape etc. The only difference is the number of exhaust studs, an oil drain back hole for the TDC sensor, different size head bolts and the two dowel pins which locate the inlet manifold. I think they did that to stop people putting fixed length 1.9L manifolds on 2L engines. It's an easy fix anyway. It's thus possible to fit 2L heads on 1.9L blocks, and vice versa.

I haven't seen an the GTi6 (XU10J4RS) head, but I do know it has 6mm valves (rather than 7mm) and oval exhaust ports (rather than round). It has the same number/location of exhaust studs.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

when i had the head off the GTi-6 i was going to do all sorts of things to it but when i looked around and asked many many people they all came back with the same answer

unless you are going to go all out and want in the realms of extreme power from it there is nothing worth doing to it

i emailed pumaracing as he has bigger valves for them and he said it was a waste of time unless i was going to aftermarket ECU and wild cams and he said that will give the car heaps of top end but there will be zip down low and he was talking big HP from the engine

all in all it just wasn't worth the hassle

i did think long and hard about the bigger valves though but as he said without major cam work it wasn't worth it

i also enquired about polishing and the same reply was had which was it will at least look pretty and you 'may' gain 5hp

GTi-6 already has around 10.65:1 CR and i was warned never to let the engine overheat as shaving the head is not recomended unless you have a thicker head gasket otherwise valves are going to mesh with pistons and this was also another thing that i had to take into account if i wanted wilder wobbly sticks was that and extra lift was going to entail doing something to the pistons

all in all i was told to be happy with 170hp and buy a LSD if i wanted to have more driving pleasure

i will watch this thread with interest though as people doing things to these motors really interests me as to what can be done and what the outcome is

but the RS head is a very well designed head and flows very well just like the 1.9 Mi-16 head before it

Thanks for that info mate. Ive got to stop thinking about modding the car any further and just get the damn thing running the way it should.

I really dont want to deal with the headaches and reliabilty issues that thinner gasket will create (without other $$$ mods).
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

well i guess its about time i threw my 2c in.

the gti6 in question is mine.

the head specs are as follows

throat seats 3mm bigger,
    back cut valves to suit,
    machine valve heads/combustion chamber,
    port and polish exhaust,
    port polish then roughen inlet,
    deck head to increase compression ratio,
    the ports were taken back to the castings in case you were wondering how much bigger it went.

parts pricing was as follows,
    inlet valves $ 25 ea
    exhaust valves $ 30 ea
    head bolts $ 68
    t-belt $ 70
    tensioner pulley$90
    idler pulley $70
    engine mount $78.48
    head gasket $72.65
    inlet man gasket$5.03
    exht man gasket$22.36
    valve stem seals$32.48
    water pump $210.49
    head outlet gasket$7.16
    thermostat $44.64
    thermostat gasket$1.74
    crankshaft pulley $ 149.62
    ngk bkr6ek spark plugs $4.10 each
    hylomar jointing compund$14.85 can
    loctite blue sealant $9.11 tube

labour charges were,
    head machining $240
    bleed lifters $60
    machine valve guides $80

total $3183

i work at midas concord so there were no labour charges
    only a lot of late nights at work.

next on the list is.
    re make exhaust system to suit the current tune of the engine,
    setup camshaft timing,
    setup suspension to suit my personal preference.
    Last edited by GTi - 666; 24th May 2005 at 07:37 PM.

Wow..sounds like a beast.
    Are u going to run some sort of aftermarket engine managment?
    Please keep us informed of your progress it sounds great.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

as a comparison the last gasket set i had albeit for an S2 Mi-16 was $150+p&p and i have a set of 16 valves here for same for $250+p&p
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

gti-666 thanks for sharing that with us, sounds like a weapon! Any comments on the difference in power, and power-band? Also have you, or are you going to dyno it?

- 306 gti6

there is a definite difference to the power band there is nothing lost down low but it comes on at about 3500rpm and roars its way through to 7200 like you wouldn't believe, power is up, by how much im not sure when the cam timing is setup then i guess i will see.

the whole point of this isn't to pull big numbers on the dyno tho, its not really important that it makes more power, its where and when i can use the power ive got.

the only limitation of the car at the moment is the 2 1/4" straight through exhaust i need to put a rear muffler on and drop the centre pipe down to 2" to get some backpressure. at the moment i feel i am losing charge through the exhaust.

there wont be any aftermarket engine management i have a diagnostic scan tool here at work and the ecu is coping with the car atm the only thing i can see is that its trying to dump mega fuel in at wide open throttle, but who ever said that was such a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by GTi - 666
    there is a definite difference to the power band there is nothing lost down low but it comes on at about 3500rpm and roars its way through to 7200 like you wouldn't believe, power is up, by how much im not sure when the cam timing is setup then i guess i will see.

the whole point of this isn't to pull big numbers on the dyno tho, its not really important that it makes more power, its where and when i can use the power ive got.

the only limitation of the car at the moment is the 2 1/4" straight through exhaust i need to put a rear muffler on and drop the centre pipe down to 2" to get some backpressure. at the moment i feel i am losing charge through the exhaust.

there wont be any aftermarket engine management i have a diagnostic scan tool here at work and the ecu is coping with the car atm the only thing i can see is that its trying to dump mega fuel in at wide open throttle, but who ever said that was such a bad thing
    Hmm but doesn't too rich a mixture result in power loss!? The engine runs a little cooler but power is lost. I hope you plan to run it on a dyno to see the exact curve, as well as the air/fuel ratio. There's a lot to be gleamed from that and it's much more objective. Please don't take this as criticism. It's great that you've tried something with this car that not many in Aus' have, and a lot of us are very curious to be able to compare the results of these modifications via a dyno curve against curves we already have for the standard engine to see as objectively as possible, where the differences are.

- 306 gti6

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information