Koni Reds in 306....excellent
  • Register
  • Help

Default Koni Reds in 306....excellent

HI all, I had some Koni Special 'D' shock installed on thursday to replace worn pug ones. The Konis are awsome. All fears of a harsh ride are gone! The ride is so much more disciplined than before. The front settles super fast after a mid corner bump, and the rear is a lot less twitchy.

Advertisement

I have just taken the car for real drive through some bumpy windy roads and can easily say this is the best mod I have done to the car. Lowering it did not have the same affect as a good set of shocks.

I have them set to soft at the moment, just to get the feel for them. I'm thinking I could even go medium hard without the car losing too much ccomfort. I think the reds are a good compromise for a road vehicle as they are still perfectly compliant, but if need be can be set nice and firm for track days.

Another good thing is the car now has far mor talent than me!!! I can drive totally within myself and have fun and know that I'm not pushing the car too hard with no buffer. Now I just need to go do a driving course to find out how much the 306 and myself can handle!!!!!

Note: No animals were harmed in the writing of this thread, only some hydrocarbons burned.
    cheers
    T

Good stuff dude...whats the difference between the koni reds and yellows? I thought only the yellows where damper adjustable?

What springs are you using?
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Yes, i too was of the understanding that the yellows were adj. and reds not so.

I'm in need of a suspension upgrade for my s16 sometime within the month. Where did yu go and how much did yu spend if yuo don't mind me asking??

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    Yes, i too was of the understanding that the yellows were adj. and reds not so.

I'm in need of a suspension upgrade for my s16 sometime within the month. Where did yu go and how much did yu spend if yuo don't mind me asking??

All the Koni reds I have had have been adjustable but not without removing from the car. You need to compress completely and then turn. Not too bad for the rears but a real pain for struts. I believe the yellows are externally adjustable.

Jarrod

Yes, the reds are adjustable. However few are externally adjustable. There are no externally adj. for the 306, red or yellow. really strange!
    I think the only difference between the yellows and reds are the Yellows have firmer valving ie: stiffer. I chose the Red Koni's simply because I felt they are better for everyday driving.

I am using -35mm Eibach springs. I think finally they are working in unison with the dampers!

All up it cost about $1200. The shocks were only half of this. This included fitting, and a full set of Powerflex bushes front and rear. (most of it was labour!) The shocks were purchased from Ray Bell.....drop him a line if your interested.

Like I said, best upgrade to the car yet.

Fellow Frogger!

Mate of mine has a set of yellows in his civic, and damn they make a difference! Now a 306 with a set and some sticky rubber? Wow, noones going to be overtaking you in the twisties

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta
    Mate of mine has a set of yellows in his civic, and damn they make a difference! Now a 306 with a set and some sticky rubber? Wow, noones going to be overtaking you in the twisties

Thats the plan.... ')

Originally posted by mmm...CORNERS
    Yes, the reds are adjustable. However few are externally adjustable. There are no externally adj. for the 306, red or yellow. really strange!
    I think the only difference between the yellows and reds are the Yellows have firmer valving ie: stiffer. I chose the Red Koni's simply because I felt they are better for everyday driving.....
    So it will be 'mmm....CORNERS!' even more so from now on?

Glad you've got them in and are enjoying them... and yes, you're right, the 'yellows' are firmer in the valving. Officially they are called 'Koni Sport'.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 12th April 2005 at 08:43 AM.

Good to hear your enjoying your KONI IMPROVED peugeot.[ha ha ha ]
    i put the yellows in mine ,ext adjustable as i like to fiddle around and it takes a bit of labour to pull the struts apart for adjustment.the rears are only internal as thats all koni make for the rear of the 205gt,.but its only one retaining bolt that has to be taken out to adjust them.
    i thought the yellows were a bit firm but i soon got used to them.
    it totally changes the setup of the car with konis.youll also notice better take-off and stopping as well as hhhhhmmmmmm corners.
    ENJOY -BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Good to hear your enjoying your KONI IMPROVED peugeot.[ha ha ha ]
    i put the yellows in mine ,ext adjustable as i like to fiddle around and it takes a bit of labour to pull the struts apart for adjustment.the rears are only internal as thats all koni make for the rear of the 205gt,.but its only one retaining bolt that has to be taken out to adjust them.
    i thought the yellows were a bit firm but i soon got used to them.
    it totally changes the setup of the car with konis.youll also notice better take-off and stopping as well as hhhhhmmmmmm corners.
    ENJOY -BAZZ
    I am enjoying.....I think i have managed to find the route to work with the most corners, less traffic too!!!

I had kinda noticed under hard braking the car was more stable, but i thought might just be imagination...maybe not.

What I have noticed though, is how much the inside front wheel picks up during cornering. It's a strange side effect. I thought better shocks would mean better traction. I figure it's that I can corner faster now or the front is alot more stiff than before? The ride dosn't feel any harder though? Anyone got any ideas?

I'm also toying with the idea of some neg. camber at the front...how is the best way to do this on a 306?

Cheers
    Tristan

Tristan, did you replace the rears as well? What rear suspension work have you done?
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Tristan, did you replace the rears as well? What rear suspension work have you done?
    Yep, the rears are koni reds as well. The rear beam had already been taken down a notch (or two) and put these strange little powerflex "rear beam tensioning kit" in, just looked like two wedges of urathane. Apperently they fill in a space between something and something else and reduce movement. Plus all other bushes were renewed front and rear. Paul V did all the work.

I'll have to keep cocking a rear wheel through the bends to show-off the bright red shocks

Thread Information