S16 cracked vacuum pipe. Oh what a difference!
  • Register
  • Help

Default S16 cracked vacuum pipe. Oh what a difference!

I'd been thinking for a while my S16 just didn't seem to be going as well as before, wasn't sure if I had just gotten used to the performance.....

Advertisement

Yesterday I decided to see if I could see any problems with obvious things like vacuum hoses. I found a crankcase breather hose wasn't 100% attached so fixed that (not expecting any change). I then noticed what I thought was a crack in the rubber for a hose. Decided to trace where it went, and found what is shown in the pic!

The vacuum hose connects from the throttle body to a little device on the drivers side, which has some wires running to the injector rail, and another pipe running off somewhere else (disapears behind the power steering resevior). I don't know what it does, but reconnecting with a piece of bodgied up hose sure makes a difference performance wise!!!! I'm suspecting the pipe had a crack in it for quite a while before it completely snapped off.

The car is heaps more responsive now, and pulls a hell of a lot better in 2nd and 3rd gear. Much nicer to drive

Thought it might be worth mentioning for other S16 owners out there who may have a simmilar problem.

Tony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S16 cracked vacuum pipe.  Oh what a difference!-broken_pipe.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator, but I'm not sure about the wires?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I've found a disconnected pipe under the passenger side wheel arch. It looks like the pipes are too short to reconnect easily, so i might stick another bit between em. Any idea what this pipe is (doesn't look critical...)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S16 cracked vacuum pipe.  Oh what a difference!-picture-025.jpg  
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    I've found a disconnected pipe under the passenger side wheel arch. It looks like the pipes are too short to reconnect easily, so i might stick another bit between em. Any idea what this pipe is (doesn't look critical...)?
    The pipe looks like the type used for windscreen washers.... Interestingly today I found out where the second pipe went. It goes through into the cavity behind the blinker. There is a big tapered plastic box that it is connected to. Found out because I had the headlight assembly out to see if there was anything I could do with the yellowing lens inside.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator, but I'm not sure about the wires?
    hmmm I think the pressure regulator is in the middle of the injector rail, this is I suspect something else. when you rev the car it actually ticks (you can feel it too). I think it has some sort of electrically controled valve in it. In the previous post I mentioned where (I think) the other hose goes. Looks like some sort of expansion tank......

I got inspired to try and do something about the headlight (from your light bulbs thread... was easy since I had the grill out to try and straighten it and buff the bumper after someone reversed into it

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Interestingly today I found out where the second pipe went. It goes through into the cavity behind the blinker. There is a big tapered plastic box that it is connected to. Found out because I had the headlight assembly out to see if there was anything I could do with the yellowing lens inside. Tony.
    Oh, well. I'll have another punt. This one's possibly the evaporative emissions control charcoal canister...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Oh, well. I'll have another punt. This one's possibly the evaporative emissions control charcoal canister...
    Just did a google search (cause I wasn't sure what a charcoal canister does), and combined with the fact that when I sucked on the tube going to the canister I got petrol vapour, I'm tipping you are spot on. As for why the car is running better, I can only guess that the pipe being open to the atmosphere was somehow stuffing up the vacuum. Iether that or it was because I reset the ECU.......

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information