Odyssey Batteries
  • Register
  • Help

Default Odyssey Batteries

Has anyone tried one of the "superformance" Odyssey batteries? The specs. look pretty impressive.

The website is, oddly, www.odysseybatteries.com.

JohnW

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Has anyone tried one of the "superformance" Odyssey batteries? The specs. look pretty impressive.

JohnW
    I've got one in the rally car, very light and works well. The Ralliart cars run them too.
    Chris
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW

JohnW
    John,
    Funnily enough, like all things, it depends on who you talk to!
    I have read on some forums that they aren't reliable, and then others say they are great and you just charge it the night before you use it.
    I know of someone who actually drove a car up onto a trailer on the starter motor using a gel cell battery(not sure if it was Oddesy or Optima) and it never hesitated once.
    My brother-in-law runs an auto supplies outlet here in Bris, and has had several people who have tried them with varied results.
    He recommended that if I was going to have a battery sitting for any period, just to get a good battery and an intelligent/trickle charger. One that has a circut that knows if the battery needs any charging, this way you don't risk the battery flattening and being stuffed.
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    John,
    Funnily enough, like all things, it depends on who you talk to!
    I have read on some forums that they aren't reliable, and then others say they are great and you just charge it the night before you use it.
    I know of someone who actually drove a car up onto a trailer on the starter motor using a gel cell battery(not sure if it was Oddesy or Optima) and it never hesitated once.
    My brother-in-law runs an auto supplies outlet here in Bris, and has had several people who have tried them with varied results.
    He recommended that if I was going to have a battery sitting for any period, just to get a good battery and an intelligent/trickle charger. One that has a circut that knows if the battery needs any charging, this way you don't risk the battery flattening and being stuffed.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris. What you bro-in-law suggested is what I've done. I have an "intelligent" charger on the wall and a long enough lead to reach the cars, with a socket on each so I can just plug in. I reckon just keeping them properly charged is the key matter.

I was pondering an Odyssey for the CX, where there can be some heavy current draws at times, and where voltage can matter too...

I've just found one that does 6V batteries too, but haven't a running report yet.

Cheers

John

I have a small battery of slightly different build, but by the same company as the Odessey. It is only 200 X 160 X 70 in size, and only weighs 5 Kg and can be mounted at any angle. I currently have it in my 4CV, after it lived in my BMW for some years. It is now going on NINE YEARS OLD, and works fine.

These batteries are twice the price of a normal one, but handle vibration and Gs much better. A friend is the only dealer in Australia for these I believe, with most V8 Supercar teams using a much larger model of my same battery, at about $300 ea, I think. There are 4 sizes I think, although for car use, mine would be the smallest recommended.

The car HONG KONG PUGGY said was driven onto the car trailer with one, was my BMW, I guess.

For info, call Ken at Accurate Suspension on 07 3808 2878 in Brisbane.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    The car HONG KONG PUGGY said was driven onto the car trailer with one, was my BMW, I guess.

Didn't want to mention any names without written consent.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    I have a small battery of slightly different build, but by the same company as the Odessey. It is only 200 X 160 X 70 in size, and only weighs 5 Kg and can be mounted at any angle. I currently have it in my 4CV, after it lived in my BMW for some years. It is now going on NINE YEARS OLD, and works fine.

These batteries are twice the price of a normal one, but handle vibration and Gs much better. A friend is the only dealer in Australia for these I believe, with most V8 Supercar teams using a much larger model of my same battery, at about $300 ea, I think. There are 4 sizes I think, although for car use, mine would be the smallest recommended.

Many thanks Alan. I discovered these about 2 weeks after buying a new battery. Bugger. Seems to me worthwhile for something that needs high discharge capacity in particular. Next time the CX needs a battery.....

They were on display at Phillip Island before the AGP weekend - pretty impressive I reckon. Thinking of my own 4CV I asked about 6V of course......

Cheers

JohnW

Thread Information