405 SRDT Engine
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 SRDT Engine

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 405 SRDT Engine

I recently heard about a problem which may occur with some 405 SRDT engines.

Apparently the vacuum pump is driven directly from the camshaft. In the event of the vacuum pump seizing, the load applied to the camshaft is sufficient to break the camshaft, and cause substantial internal engine damage.

The cost of an engine repair usually exceeds the market value of the vehicle, and hence the car may end up at the wreckers etc. For those considering that another engine from a wreckers yard could be a solution, it is if you can find one. Apparently the SRDT engine is a popular fitment to Bobcats, and that fraternity usually lay claims to any serviceable engines fitted to SRDT's found in the wrecking yards.

A new vacuum pump I am told is about $400.00. Has any body experienced or heard of this incident?

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    I recently heard about a problem which may occur with some 405 SRDT engines.

Apparently the vacuum pump is driven directly from the camshaft. In the event of the vacuum pump seizing, the load applied to the camshaft is sufficient to break the camshaft, and cause substantial internal engine damage.

The cost of an engine repair usually exceeds the market value of the vehicle, and hence the car may end up at the wreckers etc. For those considering that another engine from a wreckers yard could be a solution, it is if you can find one. Apparently the SRDT engine is a popular fitment to Bobcats, and that fraternity usually lay claims to any serviceable engines fitted to SRDT's found in the wrecking yards.

A new vacuum pump I am told is about $400.00. Has any body experienced or heard of this incident?

Cheers,
    Kim.
    Talking about expensive, i bent 4 valves recently on my SRDT and so far ive spent $140 on VRS kit and head gasket, $350 for reco of head+cost of new valves ($20 each), $500 for recoed injectors and ive been asked for $970 for reco of turbocharger (new compressor wheel and oversized bearings). Couldnt imagine how much a cam would cost...

Yesterday i went to Fowles to see a SRDT statutory write off (engine bay was perfect!) but since its rent paying week, i couldnt out bid the guy from BM spares There was actually another one but had received a big hit in the front

I couldnt believe there being two on the same day...i hope there's more to come! Thats all u need...a whole car for spares

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

That is an expensive repair!!

How did you bend the valves? Broken / slipped cam belt?

How many km's has the engine done?

Cheers,
    Kim.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

if you broke a belt i'm suprised you got away with only 4 valves and the cam shaft is still ok

i'd be replacing the others just in case as it's quite unusual that you would only bend 4

$20/valve is cheap so i take it you didn't get them through a dealer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information