fuel gauge -au go go.
  • Register
  • Help

Default fuel gauge -au go go.

my fuel guage has been a bit suspect for a while .it seems to work sought of ok but not very acurately.today while at the lights i noticed it going from 1/4 to 3/4 then back to empty ,then near full ,repeat a few times then settle down.[flat road ,car was settled]
    is it a float type device used to measure the fuel or another type of system?
    i think there might be a wiring short to earth or similar.
    any tips on what to do to fix this mongrel and getting it to read accuratly?
    p.s its never read full even when its been filled to overflow.
    ta veddy mooch-BAZZ

Advertisement

Baz,
    As funny as it may sound, our old 505 wagon (1984 SR) had the same problem. We put it down to magnetic interference from overhead power lines.
    We found it was only a problem in the city, when driving along roads where there was alot of transmission lines strung from the poles. Especially bad under power lines when there were heaps of them. I cleaned the earth connections on the instrument panel, and at the float connections at the tank and it improved.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

hhhmmmmm,sounds interesting?ive been also getting a bit of radio interferance of late.
    i put a new set of bougicord leads on and wondering if they have the rf suppresor like the old set had.its been happeneing a lot of late.-BAZZ

I have the same issue. My gauge reads fine until about half tank, then it goes strange. It'll read empty (but no light will come on), then will read correctly, or be somewhere in between. I think road bumps may affect it too, but i'm not sure if that's it.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    I have the same issue. My gauge reads fine until about half tank, then it goes strange. It'll read empty (but no light will come on), then will read correctly, or be somewhere in between. I think road bumps may affect it too, but i'm not sure if that's it.
    Ours used to be all over the place, but the light would only be activated by a low fuel level. I suppose we should be glad for small mercies. The 505 S11 wagon we have now seems fine, gauge works well, especially if you consider it moniters the drop in fuel level due to 505 wagons having woeful economy.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

The gauge on my 505 is everywhere except where it's supposed to be. It flaps up and down just oscillating wildly between empty and full and clatters away as it hits the stops at either end. I've had the dash apart and cleaned the terminals there and at the sender unit but to no avail. The club mechanic reckons I need a new sender unit so I think that's the next step. It happens whether I'm in town or the bush, close to or far away from power lines.

I know I should fill the tank when the trip meter reads about 400km. A couple of times I've gone a fraction far and it has started coughing.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

the warning lights on the fuel gauge also have a mind of their own
    they work sometimes.
    it supposed to come on when its at 5 litres to empty and flash on/off when at 3 ltrs.
    now it seems to never come on ,altough i dont like to run the tank that low to make it come on.
    cornering on a low tank will make it come on sometimes.
    will have to check this out further ,i think its a revamp of the fuel sender/gauge time.-BAZZ

Thread Information