Rally 504's
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Rally 504's

Tadpole

Icon5 Rally 504's

After 6 years my 504 rally car is ready for an engine rebuild. Currently it is basically a Ti engine with twin dellorto's.

There appears to be a few rally boy's out there, so what is the good oil on getting a bit more power while maintaining the reliability under rally conditions?

Advertisement

There's been plenty written before, and I've read Dave McBean's great website, but who is doing what at the moment in rally land?

Thanks very much

Greg

Is yours the car I saw in Cowra... near Macdonalds... about a year and a half ago?

Whoever that was said they were going to go back to standard TI for historic rallying or something...

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Is yours the car I saw in Cowra... near Macdonalds... about a year and a half ago?

Whoever that was said they were going to go back to standard TI for historic rallying or something...
    So that was you Ray! Nice to meet you. The plan is to stick with the carbies for now.

Ah... and you were only 72kms from a spare fuelly motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S
    ...what is the good oil on getting a bit more power while maintaining the reliability under rally conditions?Greg
    Hi Greg,
    There are guys on here that will let you know exactly what to do & what not to do technically, whereas mods I have done are with a more “Its bigger or looks better” approach. So sorry if I can’t give you exact details or before after power figures.
    I was fortunate to find a head that had been modified already so I haven't had to go through the “experience” myself. It has larger inlet & exhaust valves fitted. I will have to get back to you on the exact sizes. The ports have been ground to suit & higher compression is another large improvement made. The head has been planed almost down to the valve seats & the chamber has been filled either side of the spark plug hole. I have yet to find out the actual compression ratio. Have to use 98 octane fuel or it pings like crazy though. I seem to remember also that the valve springs are stiffer when I compared them to standard.
    I have also fitted a longer duration cam & I think it might have extra lift too but again I will have to check its details. The cam made a huge difference even with a standard head. This would be my first mod if I were you.
    Bottom end seems to cope very well standard although I will be baffling the sump to keep the oil around the pickup. I also found that after lightening the flywheel the car was much more responsive.
    I have done extensive mods to the injection system but as you are smart enough to be running carbies you don’t have to go through that.
    My engine is stripped down at the moment for a complete rebuild & I intend to measure everything compared to standard as it goes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S
    ...who is doing what at the moment in rally land?
    Nothing!! I wish I was though! A few reasons have kept me out of competing but I still help out as much as I can.
    Reason 1 is that I got married therefore no time or money & the car is at my parents (large shed & such). Reason 2 is that the car needs a new cage. The one in it doesn’t comply so more money & time required. Reason 3 is that my brother did the big ends in the car at Baskerville raceway (reason sump needs baffling) ages ago & he said that he would fix it but got as far as stripping the motor down.
    Sorry if it sound like I’m just having a whinge but I guess I am.

Always interested hearing from fellow rally car owners.

-Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Tadpole

Thanks very much Will. I'd be interested to know what cam you are running because that may me my next step.

Greg

Thread Information