205 gti rear wheel removal?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti rear wheel removal?

tried to get the rear hub off the gti the other day to change the wheel bearing but i had no luck.
    tried the wheel puller and a slide hammer but was worried about damaging the hub as we were using alot of force.
    i understand they can be a bit of a problem but is there any tips i should know about.
    this was tried at my mechanics and i was doing most of it as he was too busy.
    he used a small screwdriver to release the brakes through a hole but it still wont budge.
    any tips would be good-BAZZ

Advertisement

keep going with the puller. Worst that will happen is you'll damage the lining on the pads, which you're going to replace anyway.

I made a heavy duty puller from a piece of 20x40mm flat bar. I drilled and tapped an M12 hole in the centre and drilled two 12 mm holes, 108mm apart for wheel bolts to pass through.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I assume it is drum rear? I had the same problem a few years ago. Ended up breaking the small slotted washers holding the pads to the back plate. Problem was that there was a huge lip on the inside of the drum & no way of releasing the adjuster.
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Quote Originally Posted by WAUTY205
    I assume it is drum rear? I had the same problem a few years ago. Ended up breaking the small slotted washers holding the pads to the back plate. Problem was that there was a huge lip on the inside of the drum & no way of releasing the adjuster.
    -Will

yeah they are drum rears.i assume i have the same prob as you regardidng the lip .ill give it another go-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    keep going with the puller. Worst that will happen is you'll damage the lining on the pads, which you're going to replace anyway.

I made a heavy duty puller from a piece of 20x40mm flat bar. I drilled and tapped an M12 hole in the centre and drilled two 12 mm holes, 108mm apart for wheel bolts to pass through.

its drum rears,what pads are you refering to peter.??
    the puller i was using is very heavy duty .
    its my mechanics puller.he does 8 ton trucks with it.
    the tool is not the problem but i think as per last post that its lipped up inside the drum.
    also i didnt really want to brake anything so i backed off before disaster.
    i know you usually use the slide hammer but i have not done this before and i chickened out .
    any tips in getting this darn thing off-BAZZ

Thread Information