Oxidised paint and bird **** stains....how to get rid?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Pug-a-lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    172

    Default Oxidised paint and bird **** stains....how to get rid?

    Okay, in general the paint finish on my '91 205 GTi is pretty good.

    Since January '03 I've been using :

    Meguire's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, followed by :

    The Deep Crystal Polish, and finishing with :

    The Deep Crystal Wax.

    Besides a few nicks and bird **** stains, generally the finish has been holding up well....until recently.

    Last year I noticed some discolouration in the middle of the bonnet. Using the usual three-step method didn't remove it. Consultation with mates has led me to believe that it is most likely oxidisation.

    I was going to try to use a cutter the next time I washed/waxed the car, and was wondering what people's opinions would be.

    Advertisement


    I've trawled the forums, and see that people either recommend the 3M micro-polishing something or other... or Meguire's Scratch X. People are also talking about clays (which I've never heard of), but from their description they seem to be more suited to 'baked on grime', as opposed to flaws in the paint.

    Will a cutter get rid of this oxidisation?

    Or will I have to *gulp* look at re-spraying?

  2. #2
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Is it metallic paint? If so it is likely the clear coat deteriorating (oxidising). Best solution is a respray, or a stronger cut and polish in the interim period before the clear coat totally deteriorates and turns into dandruff.........

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! Pug-a-lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Is it metallic paint? If so it is likely the clear coat deteriorating (oxidising). Best solution is a respray, or a stronger cut and polish in the interim period before the clear coat totally deteriorates and turns into dandruff.........
    Yeah, its metallic paint. Gun-metal grey.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    good cut and polish and respray the clear coat if ya wanna go for it.
    its hard to tell how bad it is by the description so maybe get a spraypainter to look at it.
    -BAZZ

  5. #5
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,176

    Icon3

    Pug-a-lug, not good news I'm afraid...

    I'd say from your description, your bonnet has already had a clear coat applied to a poorly prepared surface. The heat from engine and sun has possibly caused the clear coat to deteriorate and break down, hence the problem is more prevalent where the heat is concentrated, metalic paints are more prone to this than solid colours. If this is the case then no amount of polishing is going to restore it.

    Sounds like the bonnet will need a re-spray

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  6. #6
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    You need to use a polish with a slight abrasive. Scratch X should do it:

    http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=53

    I used Meguiar's DACD with a random orbital to get rid of it. Clay won't do much in this instance, but before you start at it with the scratch X it would be a good idea to remove any surface contaminants.

    http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14

    Got any pics of the problem?
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! Pug-a-lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    The heat from engine and sun has possibly caused the clear coat to deteriorate and break down, hence the problem is more prevalent where the heat is concentrated, metalic paints are more prone to this than solid colours. If this is the case then no amount of polishing is going to restore it.

    Sounds like the bonnet will need a re-spray

    Cheers
    Chris
    Yep, friends of mine who have seen it first hand have given the exact diagnosis. The discolouration is a small patch smack-bang in the middle of the bonnet, right above the engine.

    I'll try and take pictures of it tomorrow.

    EDIT : Here are the pics.









    It probably shows up best in the last photo. Note how the tops of some of the pickets in the fence are all blurred and smudged.
    Last edited by Pug-a-lug; 7th April 2005 at 01:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Pug-a-lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Posted the pics today.

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! Wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pug-a-lug
    Posted the pics today.
    Looks like what happened to my Black S16 on the bonnet and roof. Clear coat basically delaminates, and causes a milky look. Just got mine resprayed, when I had to take it in for repairs due to someone t-boning me.

    as far as fixing minor oxidation and scratches I always use meguiars fine cut cleaner, with a random orbit sander (variable speed one) and meguiars polishing pads. follow up with no 7 polish (sometimes I will use swirl remover then the polish), and finally with medalion wax (now called gold class wax). funilly I just went to their site and they don't have fine, medium and heavy cut cleaner listed anymore

    Tony.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Pug-a-lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Well I gave it a go with Scratch X on the weekend, and it didn't really do anything.

    And personally, I found little difference in abrasiveness between Scratch X and their Paint Cleaner (which I already use).

    Looks like it will need a respray, although I'm tempted to use a rougher compound as a last resort.

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! Wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pug-a-lug
    Well I gave it a go with Scratch X on the weekend, and it didn't really do anything.

    And personally, I found little difference in abrasiveness between Scratch X and their Paint Cleaner (which I already use).

    Looks like it will need a respray, although I'm tempted to use a rougher compound as a last resort.
    Quick question... have you ever put rainx additive into your washer water? I did once, and I have my suspicions that it is what caused my clear coat delamination..... seemed to correspond with where the water ran down the bonnet from the spray jets, and where the overspray went on the roof.

    Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

  12. #12
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pug-a-lug
    Well I gave it a go with Scratch X on the weekend, and it didn't really do anything.

    And personally, I found little difference in abrasiveness between Scratch X and their Paint Cleaner (which I already use).

    Looks like it will need a respray, although I'm tempted to use a rougher compound as a last resort.
    No amount of cutting is going to fix that. All you'll end up doing is cutting through the clear coat. As soon as you hit the base colour underneath it'll look really bad. Do you want a photo of my CX to prove this (it's clearcoat is lifting & gone done one side of the car).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! frogs4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    No amount of cutting is going to fix that. All you'll end up doing is cutting through the clear coat. As soon as you hit the base colour underneath it'll look really bad. Do you want a photo of my CX to prove this (it's clearcoat is lifting & gone done one side of the car).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Correct.

    An abrasive polish or cleaner will simply help strip off what's left of your deteriorating clear coat, making matters worse than they already are.

    What's more, the prices charged for some of those name brand cleaning and polishing systems lead me to believe that it wouldn't take terribly long for the cost of a bonnet respray to be recouped when compared with escalating expenditure on car care products.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

    French cars, Australian wine.

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! Pug-a-lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frogs4ever
    What's more, the prices charged for some of those name brand cleaning and polishing systems lead me to believe that it wouldn't take terribly long for the cost of a bonnet respray to be recouped when compared with escalating expenditure on car care products.
    Hah! Good point!

    Wintermute - I've only ever put Windex in my wiper fluid. The 'hazing' has no relation to the water-jets, I'm pretty sure that it is just an oxidation issue.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •