14 inch wheels on Series 3 205 GTI?
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default 14 inch wheels on Series 3 205 GTI?

I took my 205 GTI to an Autocross at Deniliquin yesterday.
    After the terrible handling at Ballarat last month I was going to get some chunky motorway remoulds to take the place of the Goodyear F1s. These were unavailable so I swapped front to rear putting the Dunlops (Dignos) on the front.
    I should have realised on the way to Deni that this tyre setup was far from ideal as it felt decidedly tail happy. After the first run I and guest driver Alan were convinced of this and in fact I wanted to sit out the rest of the day!
    How these Goodyyear F1s ever got a Z speed rating and AA traction rating is beyond me, the Dunlops are far superior.
    After swapping the tyres again, putting the Goodyears on the front we spent the rest of the day perfecting left foot braking techniques in order to counteract massive understeer, but ended up with some fast times.
    The upshot of all this is that in my opinion, for dirt use, the car needs a higher profile tyre, a 185 by 60 by 14 should be fine.
    I just tried out a steel 405 wheel on the car and it seems to fit OK. Just to make sure, has anyone had any issues with fitting 14 inch wheels to series three cars (mine is an imported 1.9 and should be the same) given the discs give less offset?
    Graham

Advertisement

I ran Series 1 rims on a Series 3 with no problems at all. This was track work as well.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by parry
    I ran Series 1 rims on a Series 3 with no problems at all. This was track work as well.
    Thanks, just making absolutely certain!
    Graham

Thread Information