Pod Filter
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Pod Filter

Default Pod Filter

Hey, I want to attach a pod to my s16 but it looks kinda tricky. Will i need to buy an entire K&N style induction kit, or is it possible to just get a sorta "snap-on" style pod, like alotta japanese models have?

Advertisement

Its not tricky, but its also not worth it. I have one and it makes didly difference. Unless you back it up with a whole heap of other things. The most restrictive part is the inlet manifold and the piping just before the throlle, which non of can be removed.
    If you just want one for the look then just get any old pod that will fit in there and circlip it on with some PVC pipe.
    I would just get a re-usable K&N filter for the stock air box. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Ahh k Just wanted it for the sound really. Still, the sound it makes at present is awesome
    Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Go306
    Ahh k Just wanted it for the sound really. Still, the sound it makes at present is awesome
    Thanks for the advice
    Its dosn't get much louder with a pod, unfortunately. But if you remove the under bonnet black mat and the passenger side inner plastice guard (like i have) you will hear it sucking like no tomorrow. People always ask how i got such a loud induction noise. - Chris
    ... ptui!

I have a GTi6 and have mounted a K&N in the inner guard connecting to the throttle body with mandrel bent one piece 3" aluminium tube. As Chris said there is bugger all difference in performance but the intake sound is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    I have a GTi6 and have mounted a K&N in the inner guard connecting to the throttle body with mandrel bent one piece 3" aluminium tube. As Chris said there is bugger all difference in performance but the intake sound is incredible.
    The GTi6 Benefits from a normal/tuned intake, rather than the plastic job the S16's got, its throttle setup is more conventional too allowing more room for fitting things, such as full-sick pods etc. No longer my cup of jin, but why not aye - Chris
    ... ptui!

It was a slow period at work so I thought "What the hell" so I bent up the tube and fitted it to my car just to see what happens. No real gains but lots of those "What the hell has he got under the bonnet" looks. Quite fun really.
    I know what you mean, I'm 44 and no longer into the fully sic stuff, but, hey
    ya still gotta have some fun

If you are on a budget get a generic pod and make up sum piping. Sound will be great performance ????? a big ????.

GTi6's have fantastic induction noise i love it...my brother has a K&N pod on his GTi6 and its very nice under load.

If you are after something a bit more beneficial to performance with the added bonus of having a fantastic induction growl get a BMC CDA intake. I just put one on my GTI6 and they are unreal. So much more low down torque

PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Its dosn't get much louder with a pod, unfortunately. But if you remove the under bonnet black mat and the passenger side inner plastice guard (like i have) you will hear it sucking like no tomorrow. People always ask how i got such a loud induction noise. - Chris
    Might give that a try. Is there any danger in removing the under bonnet black mat? ie. Some sorta bonnet paint problems? Also, passenger side plastic gaurd?, where do i find that?

Quote Originally Posted by Go306
    Might give that a try. Is there any danger in removing the under bonnet black mat? ie. Some sorta bonnet paint problems? Also, passenger side plastic gaurd?, where do i find that?
    I don't think the paint will bubble, i had mine off for over 3 years, and I had my S16 on some pretty hot track days. You will need to remove the passenger wheel and look directly at the black plastic inner guard to remove it.
    Take a look at WRC's pics above, see how much easier it is on a GTI-6, notice thought he doesn't have the ABS equipment, which allows his "special" gti6 to have more room in the engine bay, this is a much better set up than the S16, notice no piss weak plastic to break;- an all alloy inlet manifold with a bigger throttle and mounted in a much better way too. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    It was a slow period at work so I thought "What the hell" so I bent up the tube and fitted it to my car just to see what happens. No real gains but lots of those "What the hell has he got under the bonnet" looks. Quite fun really.
    I know what you mean, I'm 44 and no longer into the fully sic stuff, but, hey
    ya still gotta have some fun
    , cool. I'm still playing video games. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Yeah, Gran Turismo will do that to you

I've got a pod on my S16, the sound is great, it seems to pull better when cold, but as soon as the thermostat opens, well, I'd say unless it is 10 deg outside, then you would be better off with the factory air box.

I got mine when I hit some oil on mt victoria, and the concrete guttering on the side of the road had a disagreement with my air box. was going to take 12 weeks to get a new airbox, so in went the pod. I'm about to put the factory one back in (after about 4 years with the pod). I bodgied up some piping and a plastic biscuit tin, to try and get some cool air in, and put a temp sensor inside the filter. It's really distressing when you are sitting at the lights and the temp sensor is saying the air coming into the engine is 50 deg C!!!!! and then when you are cruising along and the ambient temp is say 25 deg and the intake air is 35 -40 deg!!!

I'm going to miss the sound, but I think that the performance will be better with the original equipment. Has anyone tried modding the ducting to the air box on an S16???? anyone know what the effect of the box off the side of the ducting is (I'm assuming it is some sort of resonator to kill the induction noise).

Tony.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    If you are on a budget get a generic pod and make up sum piping. Sound will be great performance ????? a big ????.

GTi6's have fantastic induction noise i love it...my brother has a K&N pod on his GTi6 and its very nice under load.

If you are after something a bit more beneficial to performance with the added bonus of having a fantastic induction growl get a BMC CDA intake. I just put one on my GTI6 and they are unreal. So much more low down torque

Alex, that airbox looks awesone, If I get up early enough on Sunday, I'll try and meet you guys u pat ilydale B4 the euro car drive, love to hear it in action.
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Sorry Dave but you wont get to see the car as its in getting headgasket clutch and other things fixed

Ill prob come to the meet point but take my fathers Mi16 or sum other car i can get a hold of.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

You reckon a cheap option (just for the sound) would be to get some piping and snap a pod on the end of it?
    Or would i have to get the piece custom made or something

go306
    On the S16 all you can really do is snap a pod in with some piping. remove all the stock airbox first then have a long hard look and take a trip to your local rice store then the hardware, plumbing sectioin. It will sound louder. - Chris
    ... ptui!

chris: what length would you recomend for the pipe, as far as i understand different length will develop differnet power

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    chris: what length would you recomend for the pipe, as far as i understand different length will develop differnet power
    Mate, honestly it will make didly difference. I even ran the car with a stocking taped over the throttle once, and I wen't around Oran Paerk raceway NO faster.
    But i had a 2.2lt K&N mounted on a 100mm long piece of PVC, i think it was 80mm diameter.
    The other OZ Froggers who have seen my car up close know that this made my pod stick about 20mm below the front bumper line, so yeah i was cutting it close.
    Apart from the noise it made no real difference, except the car was about 5Kg lighter... - Chris
    ... ptui!

5kg? hmmm... thats a bit...

anyone heard of JR airfilters? are they any good? my friends works got them on sale for $32.50 NZD and $15 NZD for the re-charge kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    I've got a pod on my S16, the sound is great, it seems to pull better when cold, but as soon as the thermostat opens, well, I'd say unless it is 10 deg outside, then you would be better off with the factory air box.

I got mine when I hit some oil on mt victoria, and the concrete guttering on the side of the road had a disagreement with my air box. was going to take 12 weeks to get a new airbox, so in went the pod. I'm about to put the factory one back in (after about 4 years with the pod). I bodgied up some piping and a plastic biscuit tin, to try and get some cool air in, and put a temp sensor inside the filter. It's really distressing when you are sitting at the lights and the temp sensor is saying the air coming into the engine is 50 deg C!!!!! and then when you are cruising along and the ambient temp is say 25 deg and the intake air is 35 -40 deg!!!

I'm going to miss the sound, but I think that the performance will be better with the original equipment. Has anyone tried modding the ducting to the air box on an S16???? anyone know what the effect of the box off the side of the ducting is (I'm assuming it is some sort of resonator to kill the induction noise).

Tony.
    yes the small box is a resonator to reduce induction noise...remove it and cover the hole with some suitable cover...it should give you some improvement

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Chris just wondering how you mounted the air filter? if i run a striaght pipe i'll smack inot the abs system...

the only option i've got is to pipe it downwards... just wondering how anyone else might have gotten around this... or would it be ok?

Thread Information