205 rear beams
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 rear beams

VIP Sponsor

Default 205 rear beams

Given 205 rear beams are so hard to get I intend to fit grease nipples to my cars. Does anyone know where exactly to drill the hole and how much grease you need to pump in there?
    Graham

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Given 205 rear beams are so hard to get I intend to fit grease nipples to my cars. Does anyone know where exactly to drill the hole and how much grease you need to pump in there?
    Graham
    Hi Graham,
    The location for the nipple could be anywhere around the tube just before it reduces in diameter.
    Pump it full of grease until it either starts coming out of the end or wonít take anymore. I also found that you might need to add a bit more grease after a little use.
    I know this is nothing new, but if drilling into the assembled tube, try not get metal swarf inside, but I guess it probably canít be helped.
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Originally posted by WAUTY205
    .....try not get metal swarf inside, but I guess it probably canít be helped.
    Some HTB grease on the drill as you near the breakthrough? And on the tap as well...

Graham
    Graham I've got that rear beam out of my car siiting here now, prob a good idea to play on that first?
    Chris
    205gti

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Graham I've got that rear beam out of my car siiting here now, prob a good idea to play on that first?
    Chris
    Not a bad idea Chris, I have just spent the last hour coercing the power steering rack into position in my GTi, it would be nice not to have to lie on the ground whilst learning about 205s!
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Some HTB grease on the drill as you near the breakthrough? And on the tap as well...
    Good idea.
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

this sounds like something i should do, so this will allow for greasing of the rear beam, does it fail after any given amount of time?

i will check my service history and see if its still the original, if so i might have to also do the job so keep us posted fellas!

thanks
    205GTi Peugeot 1988 Graphite Grey for sale $2500

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Graham, I have fitted grease nipples to a couple. I've gone for about 100mm inside where the mounting casting is, on the basis this delivers the grease between the bearings. Given I put them together with heaps of "blue" castrol grease which is water resistent I don't reckon they will need much grease to keep them up, perhaps a couple of pumps per service?

Cheers

Jim

Here's one we devised for the BX that works well.
    Might give you some clues for the 205s as I'd imagine they would be something similar.

http://www.andyspares.com/discussion...?TOPIC_ID=9972

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The engineering firm that is making torsion bars for me thinks they can reproduce the beam at a reasonable price. The question is, "what's a reasonable price?". I just paid $250 for bare 2nd hand beam in excellent condition. What does everyone else think?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

while on the subject of rear beams can any one tell me how i can stiffen the rear end of my 205 up i have bean to pedders suspention and they dont no any advice will be greatly recived thanx. can the original torsion bar be retightened.
    Last edited by andyg; 3rd April 2005 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg
    while on the subject of rear beams can any one tell me how i can stiffen the rear end of my 205 up i have bean to pedders suspention and they dont no any advice will be greatly recived thanx
    Fit stiffer torsion bars. You can get them locally for approx. $900 per pair. I've just organised a group buy, which unfortunately you've missed out on.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    The engineering firm that is making torsion bars for me thinks they can reproduce the beam at a reasonable price. The question is, "what's a reasonable price?". I just paid $250 for bare 2nd hand beam in excellent condition. What does everyone else think?
    If we can get beams made, at least it assures us of some longevity of the 205. I was worried that if the reserves of beams dried up, we'd be screwed!

So what exactly does fitting grease nipples do? Is it to stop the beam rusting from the inside out?
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug303
    Hi Graham, I have fitted grease nipples to a couple. I've gone for about 100mm inside where the mounting casting is, on the basis this delivers the grease between the bearings. Given I put them together with heaps of "blue" castrol grease which is water resistent I don't reckon they will need much grease to keep them up, perhaps a couple of pumps per service?

Cheers

Jim
    Not sure what you mean by mounting casting?
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Not sure what you mean by mounting casting?
    Graham
    Hi Graham, I mean the cast brackets that the mounts to the body come off.

I just had another look and exactly what I have done is put them 180mm from the outer end of the whole tube (about 90 inside the casting) and I put them just nicely clear of where the torsion bars run on the back side so they are easy to grease from underneath.

I guess they face about 30 degrees off the horizontal, rearwards, towards the ground (behind the spare tyre). I reckon anywhere on the bit where the tube is thin would be Ok as the nipple won't stick thru' much. I erred towards the inner end as I reckon there would be less grease get to there in the original assembly. I couldn't fit the inner bearing with the nipple in place (just took it out and fitted after the bearing was in.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jim

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug303
    Hi Graham, I mean the cast brackets that the mounts to the body come off.

I just had another look and exactly what I have done is put them 180mm from the outer end of the whole tube (about 90 inside the casting) and I put them just nicely clear of where the torsion bars run on the back side so they are easy to grease from underneath.

I guess they face about 30 degrees off the horizontal, rearwards, towards the ground (behind the spare tyre). I reckon anywhere on the bit where the tube is thin would be Ok as the nipple won't stick thru' much. I erred towards the inner end as I reckon there would be less grease get to there in the original assembly. I couldn't fit the inner bearing with the nipple in place (just took it out and fitted after the bearing was in.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jim
    Thanks Jim.
    Graham

Thread Information