406 starting problems
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406 starting problems

Can anyone offer any advice.

Advertisement

I have recently purchased a 1998 406 sv. Its a great car, I want to love it but there is an intermitant starting problem with the car. When it occurs the engine will turn over at normal speed but just will not kick. All warning lights are as per normal. If you wait about 20 minutes and try again it starts without any problems at all. So far it has happened in the cool of the morning, while hot after a long drive, when cold in the afternoon after a short drive and when hot after a short drive. In other words, it appears to be very random.
    I can't say whether its fuel or sparks, but its so annoying when the car runs perfectly when running and every time it has happened it always restarts 20 minutes or so later (frustrating when you've called the RAA to start it first time in front of the RAA man!!!!).
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

I have had the same problem in my and my sisters 1998 SVs, in both cases it tuned out to be the immobiliser ECU, it cost $110 for a new one and not long to fit. (maybe around $200 fitted?)

This ECU reads the key for the code that allows the car to start but does not affect the cars ability to crank.

The problem is that they fail intermittently and are difficult to diagnose, the dealer said to me that when they can find no other fault coupled with the fact that some of these ECUs were known to be dodgy from new that this is normally the cause of not starting. It should probably have been a recall item.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Tadpole

thanks oddfire, will give it a try. It does make sense that it is some sort of immobiliser problem. I will mention it to the fix it bloke.

Thank you

an intermitant starting problem with the car. When it occurs the engine will turn over at normal speed but just will not kick.
    TDC sensor on the way out.

Tadpole

Icon8

I took the car back to the peugeot dealer, they unplugged the immobiliser and said to try it for a week and see how it goes, but it died completely yesterday, couldn't get it to start even the next day so it doesn't appear to be the imobiliser. I had it towed to the dealer this morning, so hopefully soon they will be able to get to the bottom of it.

Tadpole

turns out that it was corroded ECU terminals....apparently. they also replaced the fuel pump...not sure which was to blame, but its all running sweetly now....touch wood.

Thread Information