205gtI BRAKE UPGRADE!!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205gtI BRAKE UPGRADE!!!

Happy easter everybody !!!. My 205GTI series 1 has the thin 11mm brake discs, I am looking to upgrade the FRONT brakes, is it possible to fit the front calipers and discs from a 405 or simular ???. The 405 ( except MI16 ) has 14" wheels the same as my 205, are they compatable. I dont really want to go to 15" wheels as I have new tyres on my 14" rims. thanks.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    Happy easter everybody !!!. My 205GTI series 1 has the thin 11mm brake discs, I am looking to upgrade the FRONT brakes, is it possible to fit the front calipers and discs from a 405 or simular ???. The 405 ( except MI16 ) has 14" wheels the same as my 205, are they compatable. I dont really want to go to 15" wheels as I have new tyres on my 14" rims. thanks.
    How can the ventilated front discs be 11mm thick if the minimum thickness is 18mm?

Anyway, you're stuffed because nothing fits those hubs from the 1.6L GTi (as fitted to early Australian GTi's). The only way forward is to fit 1.9 GTi hubs and driveshafts. These cars had 15" wheels. With these you can then fit 266mm rotors and calipers from a multitude of PSA cars.

Early 306's also have the same hub. It can be indentified by having a 16mm ball joint pin. Later 306's have an 18mm pin.

Do a search on 266, I've spelt this out several times.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    How can the ventilated front discs be 11mm thick if the minimum thickness is 18mm?

Anyway, you're stuffed because nothing fits those hubs from the 1.6L GTi (as fitted to early Australian GTi's). The only way forward is to fit 1.9 GTi hubs and driveshafts. These cars had 15" wheels. With these you can then fit 266mm rotors and calipers from a multitude of PSA cars.

Early 306's also have the same hub. It can be indentified by having a 16mm ball joint pin. Later 306's have an 18mm pin.

Do a search on 266, I've spelt this out several times.
    Thanks Peter, I did'nt say the standard brakes were venterlated, there not ,they are in fact solid,I think the early gti's had the standard 205si front brakes.. I wish they were ventilated. your right ,I am stuffed ,Im certainly not going to replace the drive shafts. Looks like I have to live with it.......

Thanks Peter, I did'nt say the standard brakes were venterlated, there not ,they are in fact solid,I think the early gti's had the standard 205si front brakes.. I wish they were ventilated. your right ,I am stuffed ,Im certainly not going to replace the drive shafts. Looks like I have to live with it.......
    Someone has put crappy brakes on it then, as all GTi's had ventilated discs.

How is the axle nut retained - an R pin, or a crimped nut?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Someone has put crappy brakes on it then, as all GTi's had ventilated discs.

How is the axle nut retained - an R pin, or a crimped nut?
    OK guys, Ive done my homework on series 1 205gti's. Apparently the early gti's had what Ive got, the 11mm thick front brake discs. I want to go to the 20.5 mm discs, has anybody had a go at this, apparently the drive shaft splines are different on the series 2 and 3 gti's.,so its not just a matter of useing series2 or 3 hubs and discs, I know I will have to change the hubs as well as the discs, any guideance would be appreciated, PETER T the axle nut is retained with a crimped nut.thanks.

VIP Sponsor

OK guys, Ive done my homework on series 1 205gti's. Apparently the early gti's had what Ive got, the 11mm thick front brake discs. I want to go to the 20.5 mm discs, has anybody had a go at this, apparently the drive shaft splines are different on the series 2 and 3 gti's.,so its not just a matter of useing series2 or 3 hubs and discs, I know I will have to change the hubs as well as the discs, any guideance would be appreciated, PETER T the axle nut is retained with a crimped nut.thanks.
    You couldn't get much earlier than the Series 1 I had some years ago and this had ventilated brakes! As far as I know the Series two was identical mechanically to the series 1.

Graham

My 87 has vented discs, and they're as standard as it gets. They look a fair bit thicker than 11mm.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Thread Information