Rejuvenating pollen filters
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Rejuvenating pollen filters

Hi there,

Is there any way of rejuvenating/servicing pollen filters? I just can't see the need to replace them as frequently as suggested in service schedules - a quick blow out seems to be the go, but what are the arguments for replacement? I've heard of disinfecting them...?

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

This might sound strange, but I've never heard of pollen filters... what are they?

1000+ Posts

Ray, a lot of the more modern cars have an element, very similar to an engine air filter element, in the cabin air intake system. They filter out all dust and most if not all pollens, as well as the obvious larger particles. Many also are impregnated with activated charcoal to remove other impurities, and some smells.

This question relates to my wifes '02 Astra (charcoal impregnated version), but the same applies to all cabin filter elements, so I thought it was OK to ask the ever-reliable Frogger community.

We've just done some driving around the State's south west, including a bit of gravel stuff, and the air intake became slightly smelly when using the aircon. I removed the filter (glovebox out job) which was full of dust, hair, seeds etc. etc. I've now blown it out, and we'll see how it goes. You can run it without the filter installed, but they are a bonus in my book.

(Incidentally, the Astra's cabin integrity continues to impress. This (base) model has supple springs and a very stiff monocoque and is great for rough roads, sealed or unsealed. Weirdly, for high speed country driving it's great - it just soaks up low frequency bumps at about 130km/h just beautifully, but for throwing around corners in the city, the handling is quite poor and seemingly underdamped...).

Cheers (more than you wanted to know, there!)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Underdamped?

I can arrange some Konis that will fix that...

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Stuey

I just blow mine out and put them back in

A lot of earthmoving gear have them as well and as we were never allowed to smoke in them we used to spray air freshener on them about an hour before the end of the shift and that would clear any smoke smells from in the cab
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Thanks Rambo - I've had a bit of a drive today, and the smell is almost gone after a blow-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Underdamped?

I can arrange some Konis that will fix that...

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Yes, Ray - very disappointing in what I consider a really good car. The thing is screwed together like a tank, conservatively but well engineered (what I like), but around corners it wallows like the rebound damping isn't controlled. I wouldn't go to the expense of Koni's for it as it's my wife's - who wouldn't notice the difference. Many on here may laugh, but her previous car, a Hyundai Lantra ('97), handled FAR better. Ride was relatively poor, though.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Anyone know how to get to the pollen filter in a 206gti?

ipb

I got to mine with the vacuam cleaner which got all the dust etc out very well. But the discolouration and the smell is still there. Was going to soak it in Febreeze (odour killer stuff for fabrics) before forking out $50 odd for a new one.....

I reckon they are a godsend for keeping dust out, as I do a lot of country driving on dirt roads.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    This question relates to my wifes '02 Astra (charcoal impregnated version), but the same applies to all cabin filter elements, so I thought it was OK to ask the ever-reliable Frogger community.

Stuey
    Is that a Vauxhall Astra?

Cheers, Mike.

Default Rejuvenating pollen filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Hi there,

Is there any way of rejuvenating/servicing pollen filters? I just can't see the need to replace them as frequently as suggested in service schedules - a quick blow out seems to be the go, but what are the arguments for replacement? I've heard of disinfecting them...?

Stuey
    Stuey, In the '80's Volvo never had pollen filters,I think SAAB may have been the first.
    When the owners complained about the air con smelling mouldy, the onset of "Legionnaires Disease" ? we would close off all the inside vents etc and liberally spray Glen 20* into the ouside air intake with the fan on full speed.
    It did the trick. I would have liked to tell the owners to give up smoking, the main cause of the smell when the air con was on Recirc.

*Any hospital type deodoriser would do.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet
    Is that a Vauxhall Astra?

Cheers, Mike.
    Yes, Mike, only over here they are badged as Holden Astra - all part of GM. All made in the same factory - they aren't built here. The compliance plate has 'Adem Opel AG' on it.

Wildebeest, that's a great idea. I wish I'd thought of that while I had it out and I could have sprayed it directly - we have some Glen 20 here somewhere. I'd actually read somewhere that there's a spray used just for that purpose, and wondered what it was - probably Glen 20!!!

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Wurth make a product for disinfecting smelly A/C systems - probably just Glen 20 in a German can at 8 x the price though.

Haakon - While you're there - can you tell me how to replace the 406 pollen filter as my old man has a 97 model.

Back to my first question - where is the p filter located in the 206 GTi?

ipb

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205
    Back to my first question - where is the p filter located in the 206 GTi?
    ipb
    Under the bonnet behind the right-handside strut (from drivers perpestive), beneath the windscreen. The vents on the bonnet feed air to it.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205

Haakon - While you're there - can you tell me how to replace the 406 pollen filter as my old man has a 97 model.
    park the wipers in the up position, open bonnet and its under the plastic panel on the left of the cowl where the wipers usually rest. Easy to unclip the panel and pull out the panel filter.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information