Does this sound like a dead o2 sensor?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Does this sound like a dead o2 sensor?

Ok i've been trying to install the jaycar mixture meter and i plugged it in for a test run and the lights lit up as normal but after i start to drive, they drop down meaning lean mixture then finally no lights!

So i thought maybe the kit i made is not working properly so i used a multimeter to see what voltage was coming out of the o2 sensor. I cut the o2 sensor cable in two so i could solder on the mixture meter and just twisted thecables together just to test (i'll solder later).

So i'm measuring the voltage at where i twisted the wires back together. On the multimeter the voltage coming out of the o2 sensor is practically zero, but when the car was cold and i switched it on, it read 0.046 then slowly dropped. I've checked the connection where i twisted the wires together and they're pretty secure.

so, could this be a dodgy o2 sensor? Is it possible for it to drop in voltage as it warms up? (it's a 3 wire type).

Cheers,

Joey

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsly
    Ok i've been trying to install the jaycar mixture meter and i plugged it in for a test run and the lights lit up as normal but after i start to drive, they drop down meaning lean mixture then finally no lights!

So i thought maybe the kit i made is not working properly so i used a multimeter to see what voltage was coming out of the o2 sensor. I cut the o2 sensor cable in two so i could solder on the mixture meter and just twisted thecables together just to test (i'll solder later).

So i'm measuring the voltage at where i twisted the wires back together. On the multimeter the voltage coming out of the o2 sensor is practically zero, but when the car was cold and i switched it on, it read 0.046 then slowly dropped. I've checked the connection where i twisted the wires together and they're pretty secure.

so, could this be a dodgy o2 sensor? Is it possible for it to drop in voltage as it warms up? (it's a 3 wire type).

Cheers,

Joey
    You should get 0.6 to 0.9 volts, under all conditions, except over run. You won't get a reliable reading until the sensor warms up - a few minutes of normal driving if the heating element is not working.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

hmm i will test again, but i was driving for 10 minutes and zero reading.. but i'll try once more.

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsly

Cheers,

Joey
    I'm sure you are not stupid, but are you sure you have the correct wires connected to the voltmeter?
    Two of the wires are for the signal, the other is power for the heater (ground is the sensor body)

Farmerdave

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    I'm sure you are not stupid, but are you sure you have the correct wires connected to the voltmeter?
    Two of the wires are for the signal, the other is power for the heater (ground is the sensor body)

Farmerdave

hehe yeah i'm sure i'm measuring the signal wire, but thanks!

Thread Information