205GTi disc thickness
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 205GTi disc thickness

Can someone explain why all the front discs advertised on UK ebay are 20.5 mm thick, and a series 1 205gti in OZ have 11mm thick discs, I would like to upgrade my front brakes but obviously the 20.5mm discs are'nt going to fit inside the standard calipers ?????????.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    Can someone explain why all the front discs advertised on UK ebay are 20.5 mm thick, and a series 1 205gti in OZ have 11mm thick discs, I would like to upgrade my front brakes but obviously the 20.5mm discs are'nt going to fit inside the standard calipers ?????????.
    Isn't it cos the Aus spec 205 is really a 1.6 GTI with a dumbed down 1.9 motor? The UK spec 205 GTI's got quite different brakes...

Actually I've just had a look and they are the thicker ons.
    Last edited by casnell; 18th March 2005 at 02:24 PM.
    205gti

It has been a long time, but I thought my '89 Series 2 had the vented front discs, still with the rear drums. I thought only the SI had the skinny fronts.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Don't do what i did and buy the wrong rotors!!! get the ones that are for the 1.6Gti, the ones they advertise in the catalogue as 1.9Gti really mean the series 3 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    It has been a long time, but I thought my '89 Series 2 had the vented front discs, still with the rear drums. I thought only the SI had the skinny fronts.

yes thats correct,we got 1.6 specs[drum rear] in the 205 gti's here untill the series three which is discs all round.
    the gti does have thicker ventelated discs and the 205 si[from memory are not ventelated?]
    anyways the upshot of this is why you see people putting on the disc rear end on their series 1-2 205's.gti's here in ozzy.
    in the uk all gti's that are 1.9 ltr have discs all round,the 1.6 ltr's have drum rear.we got the 1.6 ltr brake specs on our early 205 gti' along with the dumbed down motor and aircon.-BAZZ

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by maxie

There's no way a ventilated disc is going to be 11 mm thick!
    Sounds more like the Si discs to me.
    Graham

205 in aus have three different disc types. si are non ventillated,early gti and late gti run vented discs,need built date to make sure you get correct type.

Thread Information