HELP! Damn s16
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: HELP! Damn s16

Tadpole

Default HELP! Damn s16

Hey guys

The S16 has had rough running problems for quite some time now. When idling, there seems to be a miss or a slight drop that happens every 5-10 seconds or so. I have a supersprint muffler and it is very audible from the exhaust note. When under harder acceleration the car doesn't PULL smoothly like it did when i first purchased it. It seems to hesitate a little, (its very hard to describe). I replaced the oxygen sensor and spark plugs the other day and for a day it accellerated very well, however the uneven running at idle was still present. So I have just finished replacing all the coil packs. However the problem is still occuring!

Any thoughs would be greatly appreciated! Its driving me nuts and im no longer liking my s16.

Advertisement

Cheers

Tim

al

Do you find that the problem is isolated to the lower rev range?

I had this exact prob in my Mi16 recently. I replaced the leads, dizzy cap and rotor and finally solved it with new plugs. As you have done the plugs perhaps it could be related to the leads or dizzy?

Quote Originally Posted by al_
    Do you find that the problem is isolated to the lower rev range?

I had this exact prob in my Mi16 recently. I replaced the leads, dizzy cap and rotor and finally solved it with new plugs. As you have done the plugs perhaps it could be related to the leads or dizzy?
    I dont think this will be the problem. The S16 has coil packs under the rocker cover which are fired by the engine management. It doesn't have a distributor or leads. Have you had a dealer plug it into their diagnostic computer. This may show if any of the other sensors are faulty although their can't be too many left you haven't replaced. Make sure the wiring and plugs on the sensors are clean and making good connection.

Jarrod

al

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    I dont think this will be the problem. The S16 has coil packs under the rocker cover which are fired by the engine management. It doesn't have a distributor or leads. Have you had a dealer plug it into their diagnostic computer. This may show if any of the other sensors are faulty although their can't be too many left you haven't replaced. Make sure the wiring and plugs on the sensors are clean and making good connection.

Jarrod
    lol, probably wouldn't be that then...
    Last edited by al_; 31st March 2005 at 01:32 PM.

Default rough idle S16

Depending on the age and mileage of the S16 a couple of points to think about would include:
    ~it may be time to have the injectors cleaned
    ~a slightest air leak on one of the many air hoses would lead to rough idle
    ~if one of the actuators which opens the variable length runners is slightly open then there may be air being sucker into both sets of runners during idle and possibly not opening both sets of runners during full throttle hence low performance.

just a few thoughts.
    Good luck

My money would be on the O2 sensor, crank speed/angle sensor or the intake monafold diaphrams. The sensors could cause the hesitation but you've replaced the O2 and the crank sensor will cause bigger problems then hesitation. The poor low end performance is almost certainly the intake diaphrams. Do a search on it, we've covered it numerous times in the past 5 years.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

Not realted to your problem, but was your S16 at Charles Street Auto a few weeks ago, big wheels, supersprint muffler, silver colour, looks awesome
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Tadpole

Default Thanks guys

Ill check all of the above. Brad the intake diaphrams were replaced about a year ago. The problem is that sometimes it will accelerate and pull beautifully, but normally it will just rev, without having that smooth pull.

And pugsy yeah that was mine. Apart for the front bar im pretty happy with the looks!
    Last edited by Tims16; 18th March 2005 at 01:08 PM.

How about the other parts of that system, vacume booster and solenoid?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Could be a small intermitten leak in the MAP tubing/hose. This is a small black hose that runs from the front of the plastic intake manifold, (between the runners) and the snakes its way back, through a small plastic filter into the ECU which is mounted on the back case of the battery. Find it by removing the ECU cover andf on the top corner of the box you will see a small (8mm) black hose, follow this very carefully and make sure it's not damaged. If this has a leak or a small cut/kink it wont let the ECU read properly, and it wont fuel the engine properly. Check this too, as its an easy fix. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

i had a problem with the engine faultering at lower revs in dads 306xt, and narrowed it down to the idle motor (it didnt take long to find the problem, i just asked one of the others at work!)

Hi Tim,

Did you get it sorted? don't know if you saw my post re cracked vacuum tube. S16 cracked vacuum pipe. Oh what a difference! fixing it made a big difference to my acceleration, car was very hesitant now quite smooth. It is also possible that it was one of my crank case breather hoses (cause I found and fixed that at the same time) but I think it was more than likely the vacuum tube.

it runs from the throttle body to a purge valve, then to the charcoal canistor (thanks to Stuey for the hint on what it was ).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Could be a small intermitten leak in the MAP tubing/hose. This is a small black hose that runs from the front of the plastic intake manifold, (between the runners) and the snakes its way back, through a small plastic filter into the ECU which is mounted on the back case of the battery. Find it by removing the ECU cover andf on the top corner of the box you will see a small (8mm) black hose, follow this very carefully and make sure it's not damaged. If this has a leak or a small cut/kink it wont let the ECU read properly, and it wont fuel the engine properly. Check this too, as its an easy fix. - Chris

Yes, chris is right...i had a similiar problem quite sometime back...its was a small leak at the 8mm hose that goes into ECU...i replaced it and the car idled and picked up smoothly after that...

just a pointer, since your car could be more than 10 years old...i would recommend to change all the vacuum hoses so that this problem does not persist...once you have changed all of them, then you will love your S16 again !

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Thread Information