gear linkage/clutch query
  • Register
  • Help

Default gear linkage/clutch query

ive got new linkages and a new clutch cable but find it still a little hard to get reverse and slotting into second coming down from third.
    now these are only slight problems that only happen now and then.they used to be bigger problems before the change of parts.
    now my question is would fiddling around with the length of the linkages help this problem.
    they are adjustable.
    also is second and reverse on the same linkage arm or not.
    ie- does the same inkage get used when selecting second or reverse.
    i understand that worn syncro is probably contributing to the problem but wanted further advice,
    ta-BAZZ

Advertisement

Didn't you put a quick shift in Bazz? I guess the shorter throw means you're engaging the gear quicker which could cause crunching or premature wear of the synchro rings. Either that or maybe the clutch is just worn. What about the cable - is it adjusted correctly? Is the pedal travel right? I dunno just a couple of ideas.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    ive got new linkages and a new clutch cable but find it still a little hard to get reverse and slotting into second coming down from third.
    ta-BAZZ
    Hi Bazz, I think you will find that it will always be harder to select reverse as there are no syncros on this gear (at least on mine). Second? As JAG80 said.
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    Didn't you put a quick shift in Bazz? I guess the shorter throw means you're engaging the gear quicker which could cause crunching or premature wear of the synchro rings. Either that or maybe the clutch is just worn. What about the cable - is it adjusted correctly? Is the pedal travel right? I dunno just a couple of ideas.

havnt put the quickshift in YET.as i have not had the spare dollary-does to buy it.
    im sure its just a cable adjustment after settling in .[i hope].
    ill play around on the week end but thought id fish for ideas first.the cable adjustment is easy to do.ta-BAZZ

Thread Information