GTi6 Engine "STOP" light
  • Register
  • Help

Default GTi6 Engine "STOP" light

Occasionally when i drive and the car is warm (usually a little above 90 degrees water temp) the STOP light comes on in my dash cluster.

This has happened a few times in the past week the longest it stays on is 20-30 seconds and even when i clutch in it will stay on.

Is this an electrical fault or does it something to do with the cars knock sensor? Does anyone know the parameters that will set this warning light to come on.

NOTE-
    My motor is going to have the headgasket replaced ASAP as i think it has a hairline fracture as oil has seeped into my cooling system and my radiatior, hoses and end tank are all filled with a brownish paste/disgusting gue. Its lining my radiator hose (i checked it its a few mm thick lining the hose).

My car is running a little hotter than usual (but never much more than 90) and im pretty sure this warning STOP light has something to do with this headgasket problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (regarding the warning light) The headgasket is getting taken of ASAP.

Advertisement

Thanks

Alex
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

you sure that it's not over heating ??

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

mine has hit the 100 mark once when a fan failed but the other one was still going and it was a stinker of a day and i didn't get any lights up on the dash

it could be warm but then it would also be a bad connection somewhere as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

could it be that the oil that is seeping into your cooling system is much hotter than 90c and clagging onto a coolant temp sensor or similar and sensing much hotter (thus tripping computer)... dunno about you but i wouldn't keep driving it with the head gasket like that for fear of bigger problems developing (and $$$) that may result from doing so...

I think the crack in the gasket was very small....only a small amount of water was seeping into the cylinder...i checked the plugs last week...they do show small signs of a leaking gasket but nothing huge.

The oil in the system is not that much hotter but it is clogging up the system and looks disgusting.

dunno about you but i wouldn't keep driving it with the head gasket like that for fear of bigger problems developing (and $$$) that may result from doing so...
    I really dont want to drive it but have no choice until i can get our mechanic to fix the head gasket.
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Occasionally when i drive and the car is warm (usually a little above 90 degrees water temp) the STOP light comes on in my dash cluster.
    This has happened once for me in my 306 S16 just before I fixed up the water pump. I drove the car for a few 10 mins to the shops. I stopped for 10 minutes and then when I started the car again on the way home the STOP light flashed about 3 times for 5 secs each time. It hadnt done it since and I just assummed it's a small electrical problem. The temperatures never really exceed 90 degrees and the car's running really well after a service in Feb
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

could it be that the oil that is seeping into your cooling system is much hotter than 90c and clagging onto a coolant temp sensor or similar and sensing much hotter (thus tripping computer)... dunno about you but i wouldn't keep driving it with the head gasket like that for fear of bigger problems developing (and $$$) that may result from doing so...
    haha BTW nice username Birdy_Numnum. I love that movie
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    does it something to do with the cars knock sensor?
    I didn't know the gti6 had a knock sensor!? I've never heard mine ping so wouldn't know. Can anyone confirm?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Hmm, sounds like using the car is a dodgy proposition to me. It can quickly turn from "just a quick head gasket change" into something a lot more expensive.

I haven't read anywhere that you have checked the coolant level at all. Could this not be what your stop light is complaining about?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information