new clutch cable findings.
  • Register
  • Help

Default new clutch cable findings.

ive had a new clutch cable put on as the old one snapped and thought it would be a good idea to open up discussion on this topic a bit further.
    the difference compared to the old one is truly amazing.
    it now feels like new car style clutch with no great tension on the pedal.
    it now dosnt crunch into reverse,
    it now makes gear change very easy and smooth without having to ease out the pedal to avoid a thumping feel.
    i now pick up speed better as the gear change is so smooth with no time lost for hard or repeated selection.
    now i actually liked the way the pedal used to feel,a real MAN'S clutch.but didnt like the crunching or hard selection.
    aparently increased tension on the pedal can be a sign of deteriation of the cable .
    as it dries out inside it gets harder to use and will eventually break.
    -BAZZ

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default cable

All I can add Bazz is that it took me a good while to get the gear changes smooth when I bought my mi16. It is very difficult to release the clutch in a smooth action. When you try and release it slowly, it comes out in small stages. The mi16 clutch is fairly heavy as it is, so a slightly sticky cable accentuates this. Was the replacement cable OEM? Do you know if they are the same cables as used in the mi16?
    1984 505 STI

cable was oem from euro auto imports.-$48 from them or $70 from peugeot.
    not sure if it will fit the mi 16 mate.
    the 205 is also known to have a heavy clutch but it aint now.
    its not as light as a new car but its not as stiff as the old cable.
    apparently the drying out of the cable has a lot to do with the heavy feeling.
    before you had to ease it out similar to your descriptin of the mi16 or it would thump into gear.
    reverse and second were the worst of the lot ,but after linkage and cable change its all good.
    its still a little hard to get in secong when coming down from third but only very slightly now.
    i thing i may fiddle with the new linkage adjustment to see what happens in regard to those two troublesome gears.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchcutter
    All I can add Bazz is that it took me a good while to get the gear changes smooth when I bought my mi16. It is very difficult to release the clutch in a smooth action. When you try and release it slowly, it comes out in small stages. The mi16 clutch is fairly heavy as it is, so a slightly sticky cable accentuates this. Was the replacement cable OEM? Do you know if they are the same cables as used in the mi16?
    Lunchcutter, I have exactly the same problem with my mi16 and am about to replace the cable - I figure the old one is getting worn and sticking a bit. I was also hoping it would lighten the pedal as well. I recently drove an mi16 with a new clutch and the pedal was very light - hopefully I can get mine to this point - it's bloody annoying at the moment - heavy and difficult to balance.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

al

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    Lunchcutter, I have exactly the same problem with my mi16 and am about to replace the cable - I figure the old one is getting worn and sticking a bit. I was also hoping it would lighten the pedal as well. I recently drove an mi16 with a new clutch and the pedal was very light - hopefully I can get mine to this point - it's bloody annoying at the moment - heavy and difficult to balance.
    After driving another car for a week i can't believe how heavy the Mi16s clutch is. To top this off it has started squeaking really badly...

If you get the cable changed could you please pass on the results... if i could lighten it up with just a new cable i would be really relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by al_
    After driving another car for a week i can't believe how heavy the Mi16s clutch is. To top this off it has started squeaking really badly...

If you get the cable changed could you please pass on the results... if i could lighten it up with just a new cable i would be really relieved.
    Same here, mine squeaks really badly as well. I'm going to buy the cable and hopefully fit it this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. I don't think it'll be like having a new clutch but it should be lighter...hopefully!

I went through about 3 different self-adjuster cables on mine (seriesII) which used to self adjust themselves all over the place. The current one seems to be working perfectly, which is the first in the 5 years i've had the car. When they replaced the cable i had them lubricate the release fork pivot points on the clutch housing which i think helped free up/lighten up the whole operation. Gear changes are now much smoother.
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

Well I replaced the cable in the Mi16 today and although the pedal is a lot smoother (not jerky at all) it is still as heavy as it was before I guess only a new clutch will help this. The squeaking was coming from the hinge/pivot point of the release arm. A bit of crc has helped this (unfortunately I couldn't get the pin out to take the arm off and regrease it ), but we'll have to wait and see if this was the cause of the jerky pedal.
    Cable was 50 bucks from Caravelle in Box Hill

This is a bit of a "me too". When I had (what was left of) the clutch replaced on my 89 Mi16, it went from being a dead weight that took up at the very end to coming in smoothly and evenly off the floor.

I had wanted to get the cable changed at the same time, but the one supplied was "the wrong one'. Only had a choice of 2, and they ended up needing the engine number to determine to correct one.

So it was not until a couple of weeks later I got the right one, and fitted it myself. It helps to have fingers the size of a 5 year old. It was intially a bit lighter, not appreciably so, but soon went to being really just as solid as before.

Apparently they wear a groove into the housing on the inside of the curve. This makes it not feasible to do the sensible thing, and rotate the cable, so the inside of the curve becomes the outside, and the cable would sit against a new part of the housing. It will just try to find its old groove (I know the feeling!) and ends up becoming stiffer, because it gets a 'cross-threaded' effect.

Others who drive the car crunch the gears, as they are not aware that they have to fully depress the pedal. You get used to it, but I still grind them occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16
    It helps to have fingers the size of a 5 year old.
    Yeah I know all about that! Took me ages to get that bloody cable stop to fit together in the firewall Pretty happy with the smoothness of the pedal now, it's much better.

Icon10

ok so after a week or so and a bit of an clutch adjustment it feels even better.
    i adjusted the clutch up a bit,the pedal is slightly higher than the brake but only a little and it releases half way instead of straight off the floor like before.much better-bazz
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Thread Information