205 exhausts
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 exhausts

Icon7 205 exhausts

hey guys, im looking at getting a new exhaust for my 88 205gti 1.9.

im sure it's been covered in other forums, but if anyone has any advice on which type/size/brand is best suited to my car i'd really appreciate it.

cheers
    andy

Advertisement

Is the one you have on now Need replacing or do you want a performance one. Most believe (as i tend to aswell) that the standard unit works very well with a standard motor. If you are going to upgrade i would reckomend Magnex. I used to have one on my old car it its made a noticiable difference. Mind you it cost over 1300$ but it had a lifetime warrenty and was full stainless. Also i think there are a few guys on here with remus. Never used one but i hear they also do a good job.

Regards Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

do not buy a brand name one. Go to some exhaust guy and get an anoymous suitable one.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Icon6

thanks guys, the reason i want to upgrade is because the current one i have is only 1 month old and is already ridiculously rusty and looks terrible. and i wouldn't mind a lil performance gain.

i'll probebly get a no name, coz $1300 is a lil overbudget for now.

thanks anyway.

Do you really need an entire new exhaust as in your manifold is cracked and the cat, middle box and rear box are all stuffed?

Get pattern replacements to original spec for whichever bit has had it. As in most aspects of Peugeot design - their engineers got it pretty much right on the production cars.

Unless you have a special application and special motor in mind or love the drone of a loud exhaust when at cruising speed, or wish to install extra sound insulation, think twice about a "performance exhaust".

I suppose you could always just crank up the ICE to 11 to drown it out.

I'd be interested to see serious, objective, before and after evidence about the difference made by a huge bore, stainless steel, aftermarket drainpipe exhaust systems. I'd also like know how easy they are to live with.

Best of luck.

al

I've got what could be said to be a "drainpipe", although i think it is more commonly refered to as a "milocan". This wouldn't have been my first choice, but a mate owns an exhaust place and wanted to use me as a guinea pig to test out a new system.

It is bloody loud, but i think that is more of a problem for my neighbors as not much of that noise enters the cabin.

Anyway, the moral is that this one is heaps better than the rusty piece of rubbish that was on before...and it was free.
    Last edited by al_; 14th March 2005 at 12:25 AM.

al

Chutneypug, if you need a good value unit i would suggest you go and see bruce... (i can't remember what his place is called) but it is on Johnson st between Brunswick and Nicholson. His number is 9419 8201. My family and i have had all our exhaust related work done by him for years (barring my lastest masterpiece... ) and i can't recommend him highly enough.

don't discount the fact that if you stick a milo tin on your car that you are just going to attract more unwanted attention from police, looking to defect your car for any reason they can.

one of my brothers old sprinters had the milo tin effect, and the town we live in isn't ridiculously large, so well, they'd just about be waiting for him every time he took the sprinter out. Of course all the modifications done to the car were above board, but things like ride height, etc, weren't exactly what they should be, and he got pinged for it on more then one occasion because of the extra noise created.

he later bought a MK1 Golf GTi and had no such problems, and left the exhaust stockish and had no such problems.

Moral of the story, loud exhausts, such as fart boxes, drain pipes, and milo tins, get you instantly picked up by the police as a trouble maker.

al

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    Moral of the story, loud exhausts, such as fart boxes, drain pipes, and milo tins, get you instantly picked up by the police as a trouble maker.
    I was worried about that when i got it put on, but in the seven months i've had it on there have (touch wood) been no problems.

I was worried about the police attention i would get driving the Mi, but i genuinely believe that police have more important things to do than pick on noisy P platers. In the last few weeks i have been waved through multiple breath tests, and i actually had a cop compliment me (in french) on my choice of vehicle...

MBYOK

In regards to your comments. Number one, Have you ever tried a name brand system? Number two Have you then compared it to a No Name system? Well if you have and you noticed a big difference then who ever did a decent system on your car for under 1300 please give me there number. I have tested the Magnex exhaust on my car. I then took my mates standard exhaust off his 205 and put the magnex on to compare and there was a very noticable difference. Oh and funny enough, it wasent a Milo Can. 2, its wasent drony, And 3 because it was good quality at 120kmh it was no louder at all than a standard exhaust. Yes while accelerating it was louder but not offencive.

I was just giving the guy advice. Im sick of pepople like you assumung that they are going to put a Fully Sick Jap style Canon out the rear on a angle and making it drone and all that. All the guy was asking for was advice on which brands No name ect. Not your opinion on what it should look like or what it should sound like. Maby he might like the drone and all that. Maby not. I just reckon that the exhaust system i had on my car was the best i tried. It also had a lifetime warrenty and will not rust as his one is now.

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Dear Cam85,

Sorry mate, I think you might have gotten gotten a few of the other posts confused with mine.

It also seems a bit precious of you and I don't know why you need to pick on what I said. That is it has been shown many times on this forum that the Peugeot engineers usually get it pretty right straight off the bat - re induction, engine breathing (cams + inlet outlet valve sizes) and exhaust - not to mention their efforts with suspension. In most settings (ie except for special purpose cars and engines) and value for money, good quality pattern parts are best. They certainly have been in my experience with brakes rotors, radiators and exhausts). I replaced centre and rear muffler for around $ 300-$350 on my previous GTI. Who was talking about $1300.00?

I actually have a stainless Guttman exhaust on my current car (S3). That is how it came when I bought it. It sounds great through the gears, I enjoy it but I find it drones a bit cruising speeds. My last 205 (S3) with a bog standard OEM exhaust didn't seem particularly slower but was quiter.

I also do not understand where you get "fully sick," "jap style," "cannons," or "angles" or "milo cans" for that matter - are you looking at my post?

My point is aftermarket producers of everything from filters to exhausts usually make overblown claims about what their bolt on bits will do. This is one thing that annoys me. Hence the request for any real world data (I mean numbers not impressions) on the difference between standard and aftermarket.

Perhaps have a look at what someone who tunes these engines for a living has said about the exhausts (and the rest of the engine):

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug2058v.htm

I think one or two members of the forum have also mentioned the boominess of non-standard exhausts on 205s and that sound insulation may help the situation.

All I am trying to do is share a bit of my actual experience with pug ownership (25+ years).It is unjustified (and rather overemotional) responses like yours could put people off contributing to the forum.

Be objective and have a nice day
    Last edited by mbyok; 14th March 2005 at 05:34 PM.

Icon10

I never got picked up for having my devil exhaust on my Mi16. I think it also comes down to what the police think is a "trouble maker" car. 405's, 205's usually would have to really stand out in a crowd to be picked on. Andreas' old pug was a headturner so no doubt it attracted some unwanted attention but most Mi16's and 205 Gti's don't reall attract the same looks from cops as say a lowered mitso FTO.

Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

one of my old 504's wasn't a car that looked like it would have attracted any attention but with a loud system on it i used to get pulled over quite often
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Mybok.

I wasent regarding everything in my post to you. Im sorry if it ment that way but im glad you can back up you statment with having experience. Ive read just about every page of the puma racing site. Good site but he can sometimes be a bit optomistic. I said in my earlier post that i agree that the Standard Pug is a good one. But i just dont like it when people automaticlly assume that aftermarket exhausts are going to have a milo can on them and be loud and boomy. Not always the case guys.
    Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

not trying to create an argument here but i'll clarify a few things.

Cam, if it was in reference to anything that i posted it, it wasn't my automatic assumption, when i said what i did that he was going to stick a full sik "milo can" on the back of his car. I was only trying to share personal experience of what can happen when you stick one of those things on the back of a car.

Dave, i agree in certain aspects and also disagree, "rambos post stated it clearly enough, in that any car with a loud exshaust will get looked upon unkindly to some extent, although i do see where your coming from, and definitely agree that if your car turns heads, that its going to get picked on.

I can honestly also say a stockish looking, Toyota Corolla doesn't really stand out in the crowd, so not all japanese cars stand out like "FTO's".

sorry if i have unintentionally got anyone’s backs up

just for intrests sake here's a picture of said type of car
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 exhausts-pc240192.jpg  
    Last edited by orestes; 14th March 2005 at 04:35 PM.

Icon10

Dave, i agree in certain aspects and also disagree, "rambos post stated it clearly enough, in that any car with a loud exshaust will get looked upon unkindly to some extent, although i do see where your coming from, and definitely agree that if your car turns heads, that its going to get picked on.
    yeah that's true but I suppose it comes down to how you drive a car with an exhaust like that. My brother just put a complex exaust system on his 504 and its quite loud down low and up in the high revs but in the mid range where most of the city driving is at it sounds quite normal. He doesn't really turn head until he takes off or putts along at low revs.

I can honestly also say a stockish looking, Toyota Corolla doesn't really stand out in the crowd, so not all japanese cars stand out like "FTO's"..
    yeah good point, but a day in box hill and you'll see a hundred std corollas with autobarn masssive mufflers sounding like a swarm of hornets. I guess you just have to compromise the size and style of the exhaust for something that gives you the look, a bit of extra noise/grunt but not overdoing it. If you want the bigger (IMO) better looking exhausts then you have to be prepared to spend more (Devil, Remus etc). They are never as loud as the cheaper makes, but look and sound good.

cheers
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    one of my old 504's wasn't a car that looked like it would have attracted any attention but with a loud system on it i used to get pulled over quite often

that amazes me,i always thought the 504 was invisible to the cops.ive had three[3] and was only ever pulled over once[1] in sydney for running a yellow lighjt [which was said to be red by the copper].my 205 never gets looked at by them and its a nice looking headturner,-BAZZ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    that amazes me,i always thought the 504 was invisible to the cops.ive had three[3] and was only ever pulled over once[1] in sydney for running a yellow lighjt [which was said to be red by the copper].my 205 never gets looked at by them and its a nice looking headturner,-BAZZ

i made it worse later on with chevoit wheels and a 604 front and and lowered

the tyres stuck out past the front of the guards and it looke mean with the neg camber so if a cop saw it coming he would just pull me over
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon12

thanks guys

it's good to c that the members here are always willing to give some good and helpful advise, even though opinion may clash.

i'll take your advise onboard and keep looking around.

cheers
    andy

Thread Information