406 tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406 tyres

Default 406 tyres

thinking of new tyres for the 406 (195/65 15). Down to Mich MXV8, Conti PremiumContact and Yoko C Drive.

Advertisement

The Yoko is cheaper by a lot, but only available in H rated - Peugeot says V rated is required.

Any thoughts on the way to go, and if it makes much difference to replace V with H tyres?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pirelli 6000

Hi Hakon
    Mine has pirelli 6000 seem to have done all I wanted but probably better around now on market. I will need some replacement too so following this with interest.

Graelin

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    thinking of new tyres for the 406 (195/65 15). Down to Mich MXV8, Conti PremiumContact and Yoko C Drive.

The Yoko is cheaper by a lot, but only available in H rated - Peugeot says V rated is required.

Any thoughts on the way to go, and if it makes much difference to replace V with H tyres?
    Hi Haakon,

I've got C-Drives on Kermit, thought they are 195/55/15 and V rated, and they are great. Super quiet, very progressive when they let go, lots of grip in the wet, though they haven't seen much rain in the 16k they have done. I will certainly look to buying these again if nothing better comes along.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon10

Haakon,

my dad has been using P6000's on his but when the local tyre place in Wodonga didn't have any, he switched to Toyo. He's really happy with them but I forget the style. Don't think they are the rating you want but may be cheaper still.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Didn't V become H or something? All of the letters changed a few years back...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Default Tyre Speed Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Didn't V become H or something? All of the letters changed a few years back...
    http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Does this mean you've decided to hang on to the 406 for a while? (I can imagine it being hard to part with...)

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Quote Originally Posted by silverexec
    Does this mean you've decided to hang on to the 406 for a while? (I can imagine it being hard to part with...)

Richard
    Yup. Want to buy another R25? The 406 is such a nice car, and I am old enough and make enough money to not have to live with rattly old cars cars anymore. Plus I dont have the time for the fiddling. Still dont know what to do with the R25 though. Mum doesnt need it, so selling it is the only sensible option which will be hard - I'm still very fond of it too....

You cannot replace a V rated tyre with a H rated tyre if your manufacturer has specificed that the minimum speed rating for your car is V. If you do, you will void your insurance. Check your car's tyre placard.

Both the Contis and the Yokos are good tyres. Each will beat the Michelin in the value for money stakes. Each will also be far quieter than Pirelli P6000s and at least equal in most other factors such as wear, grip levels.

I put a set of C.drive on my mates twim cam Corolla (185/65/14 H rated) and he couldn't be happier. He is a real punter in the car and certainly tests them out.

Yup. Want to buy another R25?
    Ummm... no, not for the time being. One's enough of a handful as it is.

Enjoy the Pug!
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueyZarzov
    You cannot replace a V rated tyre with a H rated tyre if your manufacturer has specificed that the minimum speed rating for your car is V. If you do, you will void your insurance. Check your car's tyre placard.
    This is not true in NSW. I researched this last time I bought tyres for my car. I posted the results after speaking with the RTA. Can't be bothered doing a search, but if anyone is interested, they could look it up.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Whilst it might be acceptable to use a tyre with a speed rating that is the lower of 180km/h or the vehicle's top speed (for passenger cars only) from a roadworthiness point of view, (VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information), you still need to consider the insurance companies point of view. You must always follow the vehicle's tyre placard for both speed and load rating and treat it as the minimum.

Given that we are talking about a 406, certain models are ratified for H rating tyres, such as the D8 ST. What specific model/year is the car?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueyZarzov
    Whilst it might be acceptable to use a tyre with a speed rating that is the lower of 180km/h or the vehicle's top speed (for passenger cars only) from a roadworthiness point of view, (VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information), you still need to consider the insurance companies point of view. You must always follow the vehicle's tyre placard for both speed and load rating and treat it as the minimum.

Given that we are talking about a 406, certain models are ratified for H rating tyres, such as the D8 ST. What specific model/year is the car?
    Its a D8 ST manual. H rated is good for 210 kph, so should be fine. Most it regularly sees is 150 kph. Did push it to 190 once, but not a clever thing to be doing a lot in Oz.....

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    This is not true in NSW. I researched this last time I bought tyres for my car. I posted the results after speaking with the RTA. Can't be bothered doing a search, but if anyone is interested, they could look it up.
    The RTA doesn't care about your insurance claim when you have a bingle. If an insurance company can find the smallest of excuses to not pay they will. Stick with what the tyre sticker says for both weight and speed rating.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    The RTA doesn't care about your insurance claim when you have a bingle. If an insurance company can find the smallest of excuses to not pay they will. Stick with what the tyre sticker says for both weight and speed rating.
    My insurance company told me they didn't give a rats, so long as I stuck to what the RTA said. I was going to ask for that in writing, but I ended up getting V-rated tyres, so it didn't matter.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    My insurance company told me they didn't give a rats, so long as I stuck to what the RTA said. I was going to ask for that in writing, but I ended up getting V-rated tyres, so it didn't matter.
    I wouldn't want to test "what an insurance company said". Read the fine print on your policy, I bet it doesn't mention the RTA.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I wouldn't want to test "what an insurance company said". Read the fine print on your policy, I bet it doesn't mention the RTA.
    Read what I wrote again. That's why I was going to ask for it in writing.

Policy says nothing specific in relation to tyre ratings.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Haakon,

I put 205/50/15"'s Toyos under the nose of my Hyperactive Xantia. Very impressed, vastly better than the michies they replaced.

The poogoe may be a little jittery with the slightly wider rubber (Toyo don't do a 195/55/15 ). It hasn't seemed to affect the ride of the slugomatic Xantia though.

They cost $138bux each from memory (I think they undercharged me and charged me for the higher profile 60series tire). 195/55 is an expensive size everywhere.

As for the worry about tire sizes, the fix is to open the drivers door and peel off the label. Xantias have been sold with multiple different tire sizes. I'll be buggered if an insurance company would know *exactly* without doubt what should be there.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information