205 clutch pedal lost tension.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 clutch pedal lost tension.

i was on the last corner before home and when i pushed the pedal down i heard a noise down near the pedal like something metal breaking.
    i now have very little tension pressing down the pedal.
    i can still engage it enough to drive[just] as i just took it round the block but its got no tension on the pedal and it hard to get into gear.
    have i broken the return spring in the pedal by any chance or is it a cable issue or the fork thingymabob.?i havnt checked the end where the tension nut is as its too dark and i got no torch.
    i can hopfully make it to the mechanic tommorrow but was after some leads as i will be obbsessing all night about it.
    ta -BAZZ

Advertisement

Hi Bazz,
    I'm not sure if there is a return spring in the pedal itself. I think the cable keeps the pedal up. The 2 times i've had my clutch cable fail the pedal had no tension on it. So I'm guessing your problem has something to do with the clutch cable.
    The first cable was a non genuine part that had some of the strands break first so the pedal went half way to the floor when leaving a set of traffic lights and then the rest of the strands let go after I shifted into second gear.
    The second cable "failed" on a 40 degree day crawling around a carpark when the plastic/rubber around the sleeve on the cable softened and slid back along the metal coil inner part of the sleeve, somehow allowing the metal coil part to pull through the plug in the firewall
    Hopefully this helps
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

al

When i broke my clutch fork i lost all tension.

i do have some tension on the pedal but not the usual amount .if you look at the pedal youll see that it utilises a spring mechanism similar to a mouse trap spring in the pedal mount .im hoping its this as i heard a distinct spring brake noise.
    id asume that if the fork or cable was broken i wouldnt be able to get it in gear ,which i can.
    maybe its on its last legs.im just guessing,thanks for your input.-BAZZ
    Last edited by bazgti; 10th March 2005 at 12:03 AM.

if you cant change gears properly it means your clutch isn't disingauging. If you still got tension on the pedel check to see if the cable has slipped. On the gearbox you will find a lever that moves when you push on the clutch pedel. Check to make sure it has full range of movement. does it feel like your ridding the clutch when the clutch pedel is on the floor and your in gear when stopped??? if not your clutch plate is buggered or the fork has slipped.

PROBLEM FIXED-how lucky was i today.it turned out to be the thing that holds the cable to the pedal.i got it fixed in 2 hours[thanks neil from le fix].
    i just happened to rock up just when he was told that the 2 cars that were supposed to be fixed today will not be here till tommorrow. he had very little to do, so he fixed it in 2 hours and lent me a car to do my days chores.it cost $140 all up with labour and cable.
    the clutch now feels like a new car clutch.
    he told me that when it gets hard to push down the clutch pedal that its a sign the cable is on its way out.
    i liked the hard tension on the pedal and now will have to get used to the new feel.
    but all in all fixed in a couple of hours and not a big bill,you gotta love that.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    PROBLEM FIXED-how lucky was i today.it turned out to be the thing that holds the cable to the pedal.i got it fixed in 2 hours[thanks neil from le fix].
    i just happened to rock up just when he was told that the 2 cars that were supposed to be fixed today will not be here till tommorrow. he had very little to do, so he fixed it in 2 hours and lent me a car to do my days chores.it cost $140 all up with labour and cable.
    he told me that when it gets hard to push down the clutch pedal that its a sign the cable is on its way out.
    i liked the hard tension on the pedal and now will have to get used to the new feel.
    but all in all fixed in a couple of hours and not a big bill,you gotta love that.-BAZZ
    Yeah I remember when I replaced the cable on my old subaru. The new pedal felt so light, it was like having a new clutch. The old cable was so seized that I couldn't even move the cable through the outer with my hands. You can imagine how heavy the old pedal would've felt.
    Last edited by JAG80; 10th March 2005 at 06:35 PM.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti

cost of cable from EAI is like $50 and it is an easy do it yourself job. takes a couple of hours the first time and more like one the second. i have done two. first one the cable broke second one that link you are talking about broak when i was on the wrong side of melbourne to my place. i went to the nearest hardware got me a set of small spanners a couple of u bolts a piece of cable that was ment for a sliding dore ans the special u bolt like cable ties that came with it and in about 45 mins i had replaced that little link you are talking about. the on spot repair got me home, then to EAI in the morning then 230kms to near sheparton to my gf's dads place!!! i then decided that i would replace the cable. new one has a better link to. the origonal one had one side cut away so that the cable could be removed from the link. anyway next time give it a go yourself and save $100
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

cant work in my drivway as its stones.i would have taken it to my mechanics and used his lift and gotten instructions on how to do it but it wouldnt have made it that far.
    not only that i was on a time restraint due to having to pick up the rugrats at 3.30.
    i dont mind paying mechanics to do the work sometimes.especially when i havnt done that particular job before and im on time restraints.
    will do it myself next time but i hope that wont be for a long time.-BAZZ

Thread Information