• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: DCOE on PRV6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default DCOE on PRV6

i have been thinking of doing this for years

Advertisement

now overseas you could get a volvo with an SU hanging off the PRV6 engine so this then begs the question

how hard would it be to put a single DCOE on a PRV ?

in doing this you would gain more access to one side of the engine but then limit access to the other side

not that it is a big worry but still

anyway the induction noise alone would make it worthwhile and i think a single 40mm DCOE would do the job nicely

the next thing would be modifying the manifold to suit (not so easy) or grab an SU manifold from overseas and modify that instead (maybe easier although may cost more)

the other thing i always wanted to do was to make a cross over manifold to have twin DCOE's on a V6 but that wouldn't be a practicle everyday car but would be nice for something that you didn't use everyday
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Didn't the Talbot Tangora have 2 triple Webers. How about getting this set up fitted, It's sure to make one hell of an induction noise and you could probably get the parts from France (at a cost of course).
    Be a pig of a thing to set up properly and the fuel economy wouldn't be good, but it's 'off the shelf'.
    The Talbot Tangora was an 'everyday car' so this set-up must of had something going for it.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Crossover SUs would be nice...

And the DCOE, that could actually be mounted fore and aft instead of just across to one side. It's been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    Didn't the Talbot Tangora have 2 triple Webers. How about getting this set up fitted, It's sure to make one hell of an induction noise and you could probably get the parts from France (at a cost of course).
    Be a pig of a thing to set up properly and the fuel economy wouldn't be good, but it's 'off the shelf'.
    The Talbot Tangora was an 'everyday car' so this set-up must of had something going for it.

Ren

yeah i have seen that set up and one of the members here has that setup on his 504V6 but that's been done

i was after something different and seeing as DCOE's are common they are much cheaper than the triple throat webers
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default DCOE on PRV6

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN

Ren
    Ren,
    The Talbot Tagora was indeed an 'everyday car' and as such would have used a simple carb set up on both the 4 cyl and V6 examples.

The two triple throat Weber example mentioned must have been highly modded by some French Pugrambo!

On the Tagora. A couple of years back Mitsubishi Aus in their wisdom used the name Tagora on one of its models.[Magna?]. In our Club magazine, The Lion, I commented on this, in particular Mitsubishi's poor knowledge of the old parent company Chrysler's history, in that the Tagora was generally thought of as a "lemon". I haven't seen or heard of the Mitsubishi Tagora lately?

I was going to put twin crossover SUs in mine, and if I still had it that is exactly what I would do, either that or throtle bodies and Megasquirt.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

single SU is easy as volvos had that setup but i much prefer a weber over the SU

the weber setup would be nice i reckon

even single would be good but i would start with a volvo SU manifold and go from there

twin DCOE's on a V6 would be even better and probably easier to do in a cross over format but of course any DCOE is going to cover the plugs and make it a little harder to work on but they are easy enough to remove when you need to change plugs out
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Ren,
    The Talbot Tagora was indeed an 'everyday car' and as such would have used a simple carb set up on both the 4 cyl and V6 examples.

The two triple throat Weber example mentioned must have been highly modded by some French Pugrambo!

On the Tagora. A couple of years back Mitsubishi Aus in their wisdom used the name Tagora on one of its models.[Magna?]. In our Club magazine, The Lion, I commented on this, in particular Mitsubishi's poor knowledge of the old parent company Chrysler's history, in that the Tagora was generally thought of as a "lemon". I haven't seen or heard of the Mitsubishi Tagora lately?

the tagora SX came standard with 2 triple throat webers

Tagora SX, Moteur V6 PRV (à 90°), 2644cm3, poussé à 165cv DIN (144cv dans la 604TI), 2 carburateurs triple corps, boîte 5 vitesses ou automatique, disques ventillés à l'avant et pleins à l'arrière, air conditionné et intérieur cuir en options.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Yeah, that's okay... but we were talking about a twin SU setup. I wouldn't think a standard manifold, but possibly do it on the 'spider' fuel injection manifold?

Just weld mounts for the SUs each side of the spider... use it as a plenum.

thanks but no thanks

i want weber DCOE carbs

i would if need be grab a renault 30 injection manifold and cut it down

but then if twin webers were used you would only need part of the standard solex manifold and make up the rest from there

i don't like and will not use SU carbs and yes i have played with them and have been able to set them up but i just don't like them as much as i like webers
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'm not surprised...

italian engineering is always better than pommy stuff
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I don't think that's your reason, however...

Default Carby's For Prv V6

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i have been thinking of doing this for years

now overseas you could get a volvo with an SU hanging off the PRV6 engine so this then begs the question

how hard would it be to put a single DCOE on a PRV ?

in doing this you would gain more access to one side of the engine but then limit access to the other side

not that it is a big worry but still

anyway the induction noise alone would make it worthwhile and i think a single 40mm DCOE would do the job nicely

the next thing would be modifying the manifold to suit (not so easy) or grab an SU manifold from overseas and modify that instead (maybe easier although may cost more)

the other thing i always wanted to do was to make a cross over manifold to have twin DCOE's on a V6 but that wouldn't be a practicle everyday car but would be nice for something that you didn't use everyday
    You know, in my minds eye see Pugrambos' 604 with three Weber 32 IDA s
    on nice aluminium cast manifold. Since he has given me so much curry about my 404 I can also see a large air scoop on the bonnet .

On a more serious note IDA s would be absolutely ideal and just imagine how it would look.

Pity you can't get them anymore

there is a 404 in Vic that has a PRV engine and triple dual throats on it

sounds nice too
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

All 404s are nice...

Default 404s

All 404s are nice...

Provided you don't mess with the already beautiful appearance too much.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    Provided you don't mess with the already beautiful appearance too much.

you mean the Austin Freeway appearance

no thanks, the only good thing about that 404 i mentioned was the exhaust note for me i'm afraid

then again any odd fire V6 sounds nice with a good exhaust

i wonder why all volvo V6's sounded like hoovers and yet 604's always had a nice note from new
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    thanks but no thanks

i want weber DCOE carbs

i would if need be grab a renault 30 injection manifold and cut it down

but then if twin webers were used you would only need part of the standard solex manifold and make up the rest from there

i don't like and will not use SU carbs and yes i have played with them and have been able to set them up but i just don't like them as much as i like webers
    Is the renault high rise manifold (30 Tx, R25v6) different to the Volvo one (760)?
    Would you retain the plenums for the DCOE?, or am I missing something here?

At one point (a bad K-jet day) I did a set of measurements to use Stromberg CD carbs and feed from the inside of the high rise plenums. Arrangements for an air filter would tight under the renault bonnet but it could be sorted out.
    But I have come to respect and even like the k-jet, the improved injectors available now make all the difference.

Farmerdave

What about 1 DCOE on each side of a volvo twin plenum manifold. Just machine the the sides of the manifod flat, drill some holes and blank off the throttle body inlet and your nearly there. Carbies would sit over the rocker cover so no access issues for plugs.

Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    What about 1 DCOE on each side of a volvo twin plenum manifold. Just machine the the sides of the manifod flat, drill some holes and blank off the throttle body inlet and your nearly there. Carbies would sit over the rocker cover so no access issues for plugs.

Jarrod

not a bad idea at all

the carbs would still be sitting over the plugs though and seeing as i only have one twin plenum setup here i'd rather not do anything to it but when i come across a few more it may be worth playing with

setting up the throttle linkages will be the next work of art
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Those things are easy come by...

And as I said before, you can mount it to the front or the rear, as DCOEs will work like that.

Those things are easy come by...

And as I said before, you can mount it to the front or the rear, as DCOEs will work like that.

room is too limited that way though that's why i went past you mentioning that before

to the side as per normal fitment is about the only way and still have enough room to mount them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon5 improved injectors

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    But I have come to respect and even like the k-jet, the improved injectors available now make all the difference.

Farmerdave
    Hi FarmerDave
    What are these improved injectors that make all the difference?
    I would love to know.
    So many projects - so little time.

i still have plans to modify the twin plenum i have here to mount the injectors in the legs of the inlet manifold and hopefully try and have a megasquirt setup instead of the K-jet

this is one reason why i don't want to use the one i have for the DCOE experiment

i just want to have a play to see what the outcome is with the DCOE/'s as i will eventually have everything i need to finally stick the injection on the car and do away with the carb

the only other thing with the twin plenum is it tends to sit over one side more than the other and makes getting to the plugs much harder but hopefully i might modify that as well to make it easier

i'll play around with it all on a dummy engine i have here with just the block with the heads bolted on
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    Hi FarmerDave
    What are these improved injectors that make all the difference?
    I would love to know.
    Some of the k-jet injectors have been updated and give better atomisation and control- they now have a brass body rather than the steel one prevously used. The Renault originally had a 0437 502 010, this has been discontinued and replaced with a 0437 502 047.

Farmerdave

Aren't they CDMA phone numbers?

Want to be careful who you call...

Oh yeah, how come that space ahead of the manifold is too limited?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information