205 Alloy Wheels
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon4 205 Alloy Wheels

Hi,

Advertisement

I've got a pug 205 GR (1.4 ltr 5 dr), and i'm trying to mak a 5 dr GTi look-a-like. Will the pug 205 1.9 GTi alloy wheels fit without any arch difficulties? And does anyone know what size tyres they're SUPPOSED to have on them?

Thank u 4 ur help.

Fellow Frogger!

The 15" had 185/55/15 from the factory but everyone puts 195/50/15 as there is more range and they are better priced. As for arch problems i don't see any problems with the 15's on there.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by joe_murphy87
    Hi,

I've got a pug 205 GR (1.4 ltr 5 dr), and i'm trying to mak a 5 dr GTi look-a-like. Will the pug 205 1.9 GTi alloy wheels fit without any arch difficulties? And does anyone know what size tyres they're SUPPOSED to have on them?

Thank u 4 ur help.
    I presume you have the 13" steel alloy wheels like the 205 SI (1.6litre) on the 1.4 litre car. I have an SI in the family and recently put a set of 14" speedline alloys on it (Series 1 'pepperpots' and I fitted Yokohama 185/55/14 tyres - latest silicon type). The reason for this particular tyre size was to ensure that the rolling diameter of the wheel was the same as the previous 13" wheels so the speedo would remain accurate, and also to keep the same tyre clearances from the body. And even with this approach, I had to relocate a brake pipe under the front wheel arch as the typre rubbed the inside ... also, on full lock the front LHS tyre still polishes a spot on the end of the gearbox!

Prior to choosing this wheel/tyre combination, I tried some 15" speedlines from a 205GTI S2 and found there was not enough rooom under the wheel arches. The reason is that the 205 SI suspension is different from the GTI. The front and rear tracks are different by 10 - 15 mm with clearance in the rear wheel arch being the greatest issue. Also tyre clearance at the front on full lock was a problem. From the 205 handbook, it could be that your model has even greater track differences from the GTI at 30 - 40 mm, so fitting the 14" speedlines could be a problem.

The 14" speedlines with Yokohama tyres are smooth and exceedingly quiet. I can recommend this new generation of tyres . also recently replaced the tyres on a 306 in the family with the Dunlop silicon brand and achieved the same result - very quiet and smooth.

Denis

Denis

Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    I presume you have the 13" steel alloy wheels like the 205 SI (1.6litre) on the 1.4 litre car. I have an SI in the family and recently put a set of 14" speedline alloys on it (Series 1 'pepperpots' and I fitted Yokohama 185/55/14 tyres - latest silicon type). The reason for this particular tyre size was to ensure that the rolling diameter of the wheel was the same as the previous 13" wheels so the speedo would remain accurate, and also to keep the same tyre clearances from the body. And even with this approach, I had to relocate a brake pipe under the front wheel arch as the typre rubbed the inside ... also, on full lock the front LHS tyre still polishes a spot on the end of the gearbox!

Prior to choosing this wheel/tyre combination, I tried some 15" speedlines from a 205GTI S2 and found there was not enough rooom under the wheel arches. The reason is that the 205 SI suspension is different from the GTI. The front and rear tracks are different by 10 - 15 mm with clearance in the rear wheel arch being the greatest issue. Also tyre clearance at the front on full lock was a problem. From the 205 handbook, it could be that your model has even greater track differences from the GTI at 30 - 40 mm, so fitting the 14" speedlines could be a problem.

The 14" speedlines with Yokohama tyres are smooth and exceedingly quiet. I can recommend this new generation of tyres . also recently replaced the tyres on a 306 in the family with the Dunlop silicon brand and achieved the same result - very quiet and smooth.

Denis

Denis

i run 14" pepperpots on my euro spec 1.6l 5 door, with no clearance issues what so ever, i wouldn't asume there would be any with 15" speedlines either so long as you kept the tyre profile within reason.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    i run 14" pepperpots on my euro spec 1.6l 5 door, with no clearance issues what so ever, i wouldn't asume there would be any with 15" speedlines either so long as you kept the tyre profile within reason.
    I run 5.5 inch 14 inch steels (ex 405) on my Si. No problems although I don't know if 15s would fit due to the different shape of the rear arches. I used 175 by 60 for the same reason as the above, to keep the gearing the same.
    Graham

Thread Information