Restoration - 17ts
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Restoration - 17ts

Hello, I am new here..so...hey...

Advertisement

Anyways. Anyone Remember Corin Motors in Fyshwick, Canberra? Probobly not, as it has been a fair few years since then, but thisis the errr...nature of my question?

Anyways my grandfather owned this shop, and in the process of owning it, he imported a 1977 Renault 17ts direct from Paris. I am led to belive that this is the only one in Australia?

Anyways, times moved on and eventually he became too frail to drive it, and my grandmother used it as a daily driver for a few years, until a fender bender forced her to buy a car that would be cheaper to repair. (Don't worry, she now drives an immactulate Peugeot 205si). As for the fate of the 17? It's been sitting in her garage since 1992, last time it was started would be around 1997. My grandfather passed away recently, and the time has come to restore the 17. So would would have to be replaced in a car that has been sitting for 13 years? It still has a full tank of petrol, and this would separate?

Thanks

Welcome to AF's Selekta!

So is this car a 1977 Series 2 17TS, R1318, Weber carby not fuel injection 1647cc motor with a type 395 5 speed gearbox? Now this is strange. Just wondering, were two cars brought in direct from France by Corin Motors ? As there was a silver 1976 17 Gordini (R1317) that was Australian specification and was claimed to be a car delivered in France to the owner of Corin Motors in Canberra. That car was dismantled for a restoration that never proceeded and is presently languishing in Victoria, the body apparently having extensive surface rust due to not being primed after being stripped.

Anyway, back to your original question. The petrol is likely to have gone off in the years since the car has been used, probably siphon out the old petrol and replace it with new. Petrol generally doesnít separate, it just deteriorates. But depending on how the car has been stored there may be water from condensation in the tank.

Remove the spark plugs and drop in a small amount of oil and see if the engine turns over by hand first and hasnít seized up over time. Probably do this before replacing the petrol, if the engine has seized up you may have other work to do first before replacing the petrol!

That car sounds like a real find!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Welcome to AF's Selekta!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    So is this car a 1977 Series 2 17TS, R1318, Weber carby not fuel injection 1647cc motor with a type 395 5 speed gearbox?
    Yep, Yellow in colour...when was the last year of the 17 in Australia? And...what do you know about this Silver 17? I'd like to learn all I can, possibly even recover it? Also, what do you know about Corin motors? It's all my family history you see, a good thing to know I have pictures of the inside of the shop, and I know where it used to be located, but apart from that, I really know nothing about the shop besides that, and it was a big part of my grandfathers life...

Thanks

I recall Corin Motors... I lived in CBR during the period 1983/1986...

But I don't recall exactly where they were. I had the hazy thought they were in Queanbeyan?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

they were definately there in 78 as the 604 i have here came through them

it still has the stickers on the inside of the bootlid

as for exactly where they were you would have to get in touch with the original owner of the car who as far as i know still ives in canberra and a couple fo the car club members down there know the original owner of the car

also i would say that quite a few canberran froggy people would be able to give you some very good leads on where they were and anything else relating to them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    I recall Corin Motors... I lived in CBR during the period 1983/1986...

But I don't recall exactly where they were. I had the hazy thought they were in Queanbeyan?
    Fyshwick, next to...I think it is Brian Hall Autos these days?

I'll take a photo of what it looks like these days next i'm out there. Hopefully i'll head out this afternoon and get some pictures of the car, depending on what I get up to...

The tyres definantelly need to be replaces, but what about hoses etc?

I'll ask around and try to find out where this Silver '76 is, but at the mement it is just a thought, I have a fair few other things to do...(Year 12...study study study...ugh)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta
    Fyshwick, next to...I think it is Brian Hall Autos these days?

I'll take a photo of what it looks like these days next i'm out there. Hopefully i'll head out this afternoon and get some pictures of the car, depending on what I get up to...

The tyres definantelly need to be replaces, but what about hoses etc?

I'll ask around and try to find out where this Silver '76 is, but at the mement it is just a thought, I have a fair few other things to do...(Year 12...study study study...ugh)

Thanks

tyres will need replacing

brake seals will need doing and probably most of the hoses will need doing as well

new brake fluid and fluids throughout the car

there is a fair bit of work involved in getting a car that has been sitting back up to scratch to use everyday again

suspension bushes will need looking at as well as they could well be perished
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Would it be worth upgrading the brakes and suspension? This car means alot to me, and the engine etc will remain stock, but as for brakes/suspension, it may be easier to install better aftermarket parts then to source the orginals, and will probobly make the car handle/stop better too, which is just as important as going fast

Aftermarket Brakes and Suspension - Any suggestions? or is it not worth it, just try and source the originals?

You're not going to gain much, but you could spend a lot...

Just put kits in the calipers and use what you have.

As 'rambo says, the suspension rubbers might have perished. But what they will definitely have done is gone hard, so when you go to use the car it will tear them to bits. You might not have to replace them to get it on the road, but be prepared to do them shortly afterwards.

rubber bushes can be softened back up to a certain degree with brake fluid but seeing as they probably have never been replaced on the car i would do them anyway and place some brake fluid on them as you go to preserve them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Any chance of posting up some pictures of your car?

17ís were sold in Australia from 1973 through to 1976. A final batch of Series 1 15TSís, 17TLís and 17 Gordiniís were bought in prior to July 1976 to beat the new ADR27A emission rules at the time. These cars were sold through until 1978, mainly because they were very expensive and proved to be slow sellers. The 17TS like yours, as you know, was not sold in Australia.

Iíll try and dig up a few more details on the silver 17 Gordini. I first saw the car way back in 1991 it was in a wrecking yard in Canberra and the owner told us about the history of the car, it looked in good condition at the time but he was going to restore it. The car was on the market last year stripped and in pieces, and last I heard was that it had gone to Victoria.

As for reinstating your car, as has been said, go through all the brakes replacing the seals in the master cylinder, wheel cylinders on the rear and the calipers on the front. Iíd leave the suspension bushes for the moment, unless the front bushes have had oil leak over them, they tend to be quite hardy, even after long periods of inactivity.

Things like the engine coolant will need to be changed, and hopefully there isnít too much corrosion, get the radiator flushed and checked as it could have silted up through time. All the radiator and heater hoses should be checked and replaced, although the long 17 radiator hoses are now difficult to source. Obviously the engine oil and gearbox oil will need to be replaced.

To source replacement parts shouldnít be too hard. You will probably get to know Caravelle Imports in Melbourne (14 Rowern Crt Box Hill North 3129, Phone (03) 9890 9061, Fax (03) 9899 5923) quite well. What you will have to do is quote the oval plate number to him as a reference. It is the small, obviously oval shaped, plate under the bonnet adjacent to the diamond plate. The ovalplate has the model number, probably R1318 if a 17TS, then the car fabrication number. These will be needed by Ken, as although the R1318 17TS wasnít sold in Australia, a lot of the mechanical and brake parts should be readily available as they were common to many other Renault models of the time which were sold in Australia. As for upgrading the brakes, probably not really necessary if you are keeping the car mechanically stock. The standard setup seems to work quite well with the ventilated front discs, and unless you want to do a lot of work it is awkward to fit upgraded brakes from other models.

Caravelle have just got in some R17 lower radiator hoses so maybe give them a call soon while thay have them.

Jensen
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

I went through the same process with my 75 R17G that had been off the road since 1990. If I can provide any advice or help do not hesitate to contact me.

Craig
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by R17G
    I went through the same process with my 75 R17G that had been off the road since 1990. If I can provide any advice or help do not hesitate to contact me.

Craig
    Wow, thanks, that would be greatly appreciated

Simon, I will try and get some pics for you as soon as possible, when I have time to borrow a camera and get down to my grandmothers house

Icon14 Some guys

Some ***tards have all the luck. Wow, a genuine low milage 17 TS(sorry, at least I can spell TS) , and a very rare find too. What took you so long Selekta .
    Your mates will have a fun time guessing what it is, may-be you will have to put some jap rice stickers on it to make it go faster...NOT

At least you'll be a real individual.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 8th March 2005 at 01:07 PM. Reason: sleep deprived, and brainless
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

And he won't have to add any body kits to make it look unique!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY

Some ***tards have all the luck. Wow, a genuine low milage 17 Godini, and a very rare find too. What took you so long Selekta .
    Your mates will have a fun time guessing what it is, may-be you will have to put some jap rice stickers on it to make it go faster...NOT

At least you'll be a real individual.
    Oh by the way, it is the one and only Mazdaspeed Renault Sport 17ts-VVTI-RS Evolution 41 THGT RS JGTC Type RS Nismo Edition
    and it's not a gordini
    Last edited by Selekta; 8th March 2005 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta
    and it's not a gordini
    Yep fixed that.
    if you put all those stickers on it I think it would come t life like the Chev in Christine and kill you

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Was it a Chev in Christine?

Was it a Chev in Christine?

i thought it was a plymouth

a 56/67 model from memory

been a while since i read that book as i have read quite a bit of stephen king

great writer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Exactly... I've never read the book, seen the movie or heard the plot, but I know that there's talk of it on the Forward Look forum for 57-61 Chryslers...

So it wouldn't be a Chev.

Exactly... I've never read the book, seen the movie or heard the plot, but I know that there's talk of it on the Forward Look forum for 57-61 Chryslers...

So it wouldn't be a Chev.

thinking about it harder it was definitely a 58 model and it was a plymouth

a fury i think ? but can't be entirely sure there but i'm sure it was a plymouth

great movie, great book

all about a young kid that was possesed by the car and the car had a soul

oh and it was female and was a jealous type, very jealous

nice car though

red in colour and plenty of chrome
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

You liked it?

Okay, remind me next time I see you, I'll tell you where there's a Dodge Custom Royal... like this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Restoration - 17ts-customroyalpost.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

mmmm large american cars killing people? reminds me of a quote i've heard...

The only crumple zone on a XC is the other car
    Refering to the XC Falcon... Not american, but still

Pretty sweet car by the way, except i don't like the "eyebrows"

Wasn't sure, doesn't matter, if you put those stickers on a Plymouth it would kill you too

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information