Ferodo DS2500: Awesome!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Ferodo DS2500: Awesome!

Had the Ferodo DS2500 fitted to my '6 last week. Also running a Neo high performance brake fluid (not silicone, not a full race fluid, but probably similar to a good DOT 5.1).

Advertisement

First thing I noticed even before bedding them in was they were fine when cold. Bedding them in was somewhat of a nightmare. The instruction sheet that came with the pads said '25-30 applications lasting 4 seconds each at half race pressure'. This is obviously a serious pad. So down I went to the freeway in the wee hours of the morning. After about 8 applications, the pads were smoking and stunk with massive pad fade (pedal very hard, bugger all retardation) and I was left wondering how was I going to get up to '25-30' applications. The only thing I could think of was maybe I was braking a lot harder than 'half race pressure'.

So I drove around till they cooled down and tried it again, and just like before after 8 times massive pad fade. So I let them cool down and went back home. Inspected them in the morning and definitely didn't look bedded in (no friction material on the disc). Made a post on performanceforums.com and checked around on the net too and found out what I'd experienced was 'green fade' which happens to new pads when they're being bedded in due to the gases escaping?? So went back again a few nights later and this time I could brake the full 30 times and no fade at all. They started smelling a little but still continued pulling up. Then I drove around and let them cool off.

They're definitely bedded in now and are simply superb! From cold, they're almost as good as standard pads but when they're warmed up, fantastic initial bite and they pull up so hard the seatbelt hurt on my shoulder! Going downhill on one of the mountain roads and purposely braking very hard, very early with probably 50 or more corners, didn't get any fade from either pad or fluid.

Highly recommended pad, though pricey.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

sounds good,how much were they?i have heard alot of good reports on them.
    im running mintex 171;s in mine and was amazed at the difference in them compared to the new set of valeos i had in at the time.and when i changed to the koni suspension was even more impressed with them.
    i must say though first aplication on a cold morning feels like they are not working properly but after one or two brake aplications this disapears.and only happens on really cold mornings.
    -BAZZ

They were $240!!! However the price does vary significantly between cars.

I haven't heard of the Mintex 171, but have heard of 7144 and 1144 both of which have a really good reputation.

The coldest I've tried the Ferodo was 14 deg C and they had initial bite and braking almost as good as the standard pads.

- 306 gti6

I reckon the 3000's are even better, they just tend to go through rotors a bit(like 200K's competitive)
    Chris
    205gti

Sounds like the Basket Range got a decent Pug workout!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    They were $240!!! However the price does vary significantly between cars.

I haven't heard of the Mintex 171, but have heard of 7144 and 1144 both of which have a really good reputation.

The coldest I've tried the Ferodo was 14 deg C and they had initial bite and braking almost as good as the standard pads.

are you still running the OEM discs ?

i will be looking at pads sometime this year for the first time in the 306 and undecided whether i should go aftermarket or original pads
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Where did you end up getting the pads from Jude? Was it local or did you grab them from interstate? Sounds like they are pretty damn good!

I'm not that far away from needing new pads *again* in the 206 so will obviously consider them in addition to the Greenstuff's that i'm running now and the black diamonds that I've looked at getting from autoparis.

Are you still running the stock disks or did you get some new ones at the same time?

Sounds pretty positive though!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    I reckon the 3000's are even better, they just tend to go through rotors a bit(like 200K's competitive)
    Chris
    I looked at the 3000's, but after speaking with the guys at Competition Friction (where I bought the pads from) they said that the 3000's were purely track pads and will not fade on the track under unlimited laps on cars less than 1500 kgs. They also mentioned cold braking and rotor wear to be relatively poor. The 2500's suited me better since they're fine from cold, little impact on rotors and suited for fast road/light to med track (they said even on Malalla it should withstand 20 laps before fading significantly). I will be testing their claims out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Sounds like the Basket Range got a decent Pug workout!
    There are a few roads which could fit my earlier description, but yep in this case you have it spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    are you still running the OEM discs ?

i will be looking at pads sometime this year for the first time in the 306 and undecided whether i should go aftermarket or original pads
    Nope, running some italian brand 'CAR' for the last year or so. They've been great but were pricier than the DBA slotted rotors. If I need rotors again, I'll prolly go the DBA's and pocket the change.

You haven't changed the pads in the 306 yet!?!? I don't think you'd need to spend the extra on Ferodos and the like. The pads I was using just before were Lucas pads which are meant to be a standard but much cheaper replacement to the oem valeos. I paid about $90 for the Lucas.

edit:

Mike, I got them from Competition Friction http://www.compfriction.com.au/store/contact.inetstore Ask for David, and say that you're in the same 'club' as the guy who bought pads for the 306 gti recently, and there are heaps of other people in the club so see if you can get a good deal Most likely won't make a diff, but worth a try anyway?

Yeah I was going to go the greenstuff's and they weren't quite as pricey (but definitely up there) but decided to try these. There's a lot of great info in Brake Clinic on www.performanceforums.com
    Last edited by U Turn; 6th March 2005 at 08:21 PM.

- 306 gti6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

well depending on how many km's the car does this year it will need it's first set of pads

i have never changed pads in it form the day i bought it new, even the discs only have a slight lip on them and that's it so they will go again for another set when i get around to putting them in
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Administrator

I'd be interested to know what people's disc wear experiences have been with EBC Greenstuffs as I'm about to fit a set of to the brick (thought I better as they've been sitting in the shed for 3 weeks ). I am running standard rotors.

I thought the Valeos I had on originally were OK-marginal but Carravelle were out of stock last time so I had to fit a set of Fung Shiti (or something) pads that have the fade resistence of a BMX carrying Merv Hughes....

Thought I better replace them before I go to Tassie later this month...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    The pads I was using just before were Lucas pads which are meant to be a standard but much cheaper replacement to the oem valeos. I paid about $90 for the Lucas.
    FWIW, 'Lucas' pads are actually Lucas-Girling, one of the OEM Pug suppliers.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I'd be interested to know what people's disc wear experiences have been with EBC Greenstuffs as I'm about to fit a set of to the brick (thought I better as they've been sitting in the shed for 3 weeks ). I am running standard rotors.

I thought the Valeos I had on originally were OK-marginal but Carravelle were out of stock last time so I had to fit a set of Fung Shiti (or something) pads that have the fade resistence of a BMX carrying Merv Hughes....

I've got greenstuffs on the 205 at present , with standard rotors, and wear is OK although I reckon pedal feel is awful, nearly push through the firewall...
    Chris
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno

I've got the greenstuff pads fitted to my 306 with standard rotors, braking is good, a little dead feeling when cold though. The wear i think will be an issue. After only 10,000 klm's there seems to be a serious amount of metal taken off the rotor's (new rotors and pads were fitted at the same time). If brake dust is anything to go by.....I get 3 days of clean wheels then the dust turns them black! I'd say either standard discs/pads combo or DBA rotors with different pads.

Tadpole

I run DBA's and DS2500! Absolutely awesome, can't complain. DS3000 will eat any disc but they are even better.

Cheers

Tadpole

Are they avaliable for RCS 172?

Hmmmm... I think i'm going to have to investigate these pads as replacements for my near worn Greenstuffs. Jude did you get them all round or just at the front?
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

you will find thats the price for the front pads only.

its a quality item with appropriate price tag.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts

$360 all round for the Clio...
    rears were $120 (306 pug compat), Fr $240

BSMotorsports were the cheapest i found

Mike, I've just got them for the fronts. However my rear pads will need replacing in 5K so when the time comes, I'll put them on there to keep proper brake bias.

nate, $120 for the rears is a little less painful
    Ok here's the weird bit right, I got them from Comp' friction for $240, but before that checked with bsmsport before that and was quoted the same price. Bsmsport also told me there were 3 pads for the gti6 and they faxed me 3 sheets of paper with each pad shape. 2 of the shapes had "Not in stock" hand written on there, with the other one "in stock", the prices were also $199, $212, $240 respectively. Obviously my luck, pad for my car was both the most expensive of the 3, and out of stock. So that's when I called Comp Friction a couple days later and they told me the same 3 pad story, and just to make sure I asked them to fax all 3 shapes, and that too arrived on 3 pages..and here's the weird bit..same as the faxes from bsmsport, these faxes also had the same 2 pads out of stock, and 1 in stock!! Also the prices were exactly the same..and even the damn handwriting was exactly the same, just in different places on the fax page. I rang the guy up and asked if they were same as bsmsport but he said no. and they are in different states even. too weird man.

- 306 gti6

Tadpole

Tried the so called M1144 from LAD which I think is what they used. If so, matched with the LAD discs after a run in had a little fast road. Pads were SMOKING after just one road whilst OE pads were fine....something wrong there.

Sent LAD an email but stupid replies so never again used their products or services.

J

Thread Information